Balance Disc

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I toss it at her she is very good at catching it. She's really snappy if you hand her treats but we are working on it.

She's only willing to work in the house, out the house is a no go. Also she can get demanding if she doesn't get a treat when she thinks she deserves one she can throw a hissy fit. She's very vocal which is bad as the neighbours have already complained about her. Shes very demonstrative in getting her point across.

I'm trying to get my mum to do some training with her.

orpheum

After they have gotten use to the front paws being on how do you go about getting then to add the back feet. Because I have no clue.
Almost like dogster said: Cut out the bottom of a cardboard box and place the border around the balance disc (so you create a circle with the border). Once your dog is comfortable with standing in the "shaped box" with his four paws, put in the balance disc.
Normally they pick it up quite easy this way. But do train 2 on 2 off first, because teaching this afterwards is more difficult.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Will have to give it a go with Bella once she's more sure on her front two, she just needs to work on her balance a bit as if I say paws up she will put her front two onto it.
Zara needs to be calmer lol before I even think of trying of she'll probably pick up and run off with the box.
And Jenny needs to grasp the idea of placing her paws on the disc lol instead of just tapping it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Poor lil pent-up Zara can be helped to learn only her calm approach will get her the treat, as dog as brilliant as Zara will "get that" right away.
i can not find the video, but, the jist of it is:

Put a treat in your closed fist.
Zara ONLY gets the treat when she igores the treat and gives up. Pull your hands up or behind you if Zara hurts you....try again. Soon as lil einstein Zara gives up, CLICK/TREAT and open your hand for her to take treat.

A dog as bright as Zara will learn this pretty quickly.

That Zara has sooooooooooooo much potential....so so much.

If Zara is not allowing you to touch her, you could try this, too:

and you can help Zara learn to focus on you. But, like i've said since your first day here, i totally believe you when you say that Zara would be hard to work with, since she IS a high energy dog who is not getting walks, not a lot of daily exercise, and little to no tricks and cue training.

My border collie would ALSO be smack outa his mind, too, AND my dog would be extremely difficult to get "calm" either, in that situation....i so understand!
You and your mom should trade dogs!!:ROFLMAO:
GOOD LUCK TIF, I AM SO STOKED TO SEE YOU ARE TRYING TO TRAIN ZARA, TOO!!!
http://puppyobediencetrainingnow.com/building-attention-game-1-clicker-dog-training/

orpheum

i can not find the video, but, the jist of it is:

Put a treat in your closed fist.
Zara ONLY gets the treat when she igores the treat and gives up. Pull your hands up or behind you if Zara hurts you....try again. Soon as lil einstein Zara gives up, CLICK/TREAT and open your hand for her to take treat.
I think you're referring to

Dogster

Honored Member
I`m teaching Shivon how to balance a treat on her nose, like in the video.:D I`m teaching her to do it with bigger treats.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Thanks for the video. The thing with Zara though is she gets quickly to show no interest in the closed fist = opening of hand. It's when you open your hand and give it her she snatches.

mewzard

Experienced Member
It should teacher her that it will come if she can wait a moment longer...I've had fosters like that and they do learn.

Zara reminds me of Oka when shew as younger - manic!! Learns at the press of a button - literally. I tend not to do too many little stages as Oka gets frustrated, i tend not to double check that she has definately learnt it. I find it easier to correct mistakes with her AFTER she has learnt almost all of my objectives than trying to get it right in the beginning.

Some in your 5 minute video i'd have moved on to pausing with 2 feet on, and then to moving the back feet (if that is what you were aiming for) ... becuase Oka would start making up ideas of what she wants to do.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Thanks for the video. The thing with Zara though is she gets quickly to show no interest in the closed fist = opening of hand. It's when you open your hand and give it her she snatches.//

the video posted by Orpheum actually covers that...

orpheum

A lot of clicker dogs are only clicked for movement /excitement. So controle after click is frequently lost. I don't know if this is the case for your dog, just guessing ... ;)
I use one hand (in my case my left hand) as a "cookie jar". The dog can NEVER take a "cookie" out of the jar. The right hand is the delivery hand. The trick is to teach that the food comes to the dog instead of the dog towards the food. Take a cookie (right hand) out of the jar (left hand) and bring it to the dogs mouth. If he moves forward to get it, the cookie goes back in the jar and if needed close the fist. I tend not to click while training this, because it will trigger the snapping again. Once the dog takes it calmly you can import this new way of treat delivery after clicking.
"I want, won't get" like this is a constant factor in my training, like pull hard = I stand still, we go together = getting there. Every "yo dude" behaviour needs to become "may I daddy".

orpheum

I love her calm approach. You can really see her think.

It seems to me that you are "pushing" her a bit backwards by the treat delivery.

What I do like is when you keep treating her for holding the criteria.
Don't know if you do this by accident or is this your way of training?

Anneke

Honored Member
I was thinking the same thing, orpheum!
Tif, maybe you could try holing your hand out, so that Jenny has to come to your hand, instead of bringing your hand to her mouth?
From what I see you doing, especcially in delivering that last treat, is you practically shoving the treat in her mouth(no offence:oops:)
I think, that if you hold your hand in front of her and letting her take the treat, she might stay in position, in stead of backing away.

I looovvve Jenny. She is just so adorable! I love the oldies learning new tricks.;)