Backwards Leg Weaves

MaryK

Honored Member
You could use ex-pens. They come in lots of heights. My dogs can easily jump over these but are so interested the what we are doing and the treats they don't bother.
Thank you Linda. Ra Kismet just loves to jump, so given any opportunity at all he's off and over, though not fences thank goodness!. Then looks for a treat!:rolleyes:

Linda A

Experienced Member
It's been three days since we started with the training gates. This morning I wanted to do a little test. Pretty good but we will be going back to the training gates for a few more session.

Linda A

Experienced Member
We went back to the training gates for a couple of day. Here is what we now hove.

After this I decided to see if we could use the 'wheel' and 'reverse' commands to start backward figure 8's. This is not bad for a first attempt. Once he gets the idea of doing figure 8's I think it will be easy to just start stepping backward for the weaves.

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous progress!:D And thank you for showing 'how it's achieved' not just the finished trick. Given me so much help with my boy. Am going to use 'wheel' for his back circle, couldn't think of a name.:D

Linda A

Experienced Member
Fabulous progress!:D And thank you for showing 'how it's achieved' not just the finished trick. Given me so much help with my boy. Am going to use 'wheel' for his back circle, couldn't think of a name.:D
I decided to use 'wheel' when he is in left heel position and 'reverse' when he is in right heel position. Didn't know what to use when making the video. LOL!

Now I have to find commands to let him know to do backward figure 8's and backward leg weaves.

Linda A

Experienced Member
Since our first try at backward figure 8's I had to change things a little. I figured out that he needed to stop between my legs to be in position to go in the other direction. Here is what I did.

After a couple of sessions practicing this way I thought we would give the figure 8's another try without the stops. I think he is catching on much better now.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I decided to use 'wheel' when he is in left heel position and 'reverse' when he is in right heel position. Didn't know what to use when making the video. LOL!

Now I have to find commands to let him know to do backward figure 8's and backward leg weaves.
Do you ever find your dog getting commands confused if they sound similar? Wheel and heel are so similar, but I guess you are sort of asking for the same behavior. Brody confuses "spin" and "spot" sometimes, and the hand signals are also similar. I also use very similar hand signals for "spin" and "roll over". Hard to be creative and precise at the same time!

Linda A

Experienced Member
Do you ever find your dog getting commands confused if they sound similar? Wheel and heel are so similar, but I guess you are sort of asking for the same behavior. Brody confuses "spin" and "spot" sometimes, and the hand signals are also similar. I also use very similar hand signals for "spin" and "roll over". Hard to be creative and precise at the same time!
I don't think he gets the commands/cues confused as I am standing still when I tell him to wheel. I hadn't thought of that though. Will test him tomorrow and see what happens.

Actually, I think we get more confused than the dogs do. LOL! We have to remember them all and they just listen to us or watch our body language (we often give cues we don't even realize we are giving).

MaryK

Honored Member
I have the same problem at times, though I suspect Ra Kismet is giving me what HE wants to do, his favorite 'trick of the day':rolleyes:. He's an independent chap, has his fav. tricks, which varies from day to day.

Linda A

Experienced Member
Royal has been getting pretty good with his backward Figure 8's and Leg Weaves here at home. Today we went to the park to see how he would do in a different environment full of distractions. Due to the other handlers and dogs there, working on obedience, I had to use hand signals. All in all I think he did pretty well for his first time away from home. LOL!

MaryK

Honored Member
Very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!(y) Royal focused on your the entire time - way to go Royal!!!!!!!!:)(y)

Royal, wanna send some telepathy over to my boy please? He does rather lack focus when in a public place.:rolleyes:;):)

sara

Staff member
Awe I like how he "talks" to you! He's such a cutie, and is always so well groomed!!

Great job! I haven't got Oliver past the hand signals at all, so even though I've been working on this on and off for more than 2 years, you've got him well past Ollie if he can do it on voice commands :)

Linda A

Experienced Member
Awe I like how he "talks" to you! He's such a cutie, and is always so well groomed!!

Great job! I haven't got Oliver past the hand signals at all, so even though I've been working on this on and off for more than 2 years, you've got him well past Ollie if he can do it on voice commands :)

The 'talking' is not Royal. LOL! It is his sister, Spice. She thought we were too far away from her.

Thank you for the compliment on his grooming. I try!

sara

Staff member
The 'talking' is not Royal. LOL! It is his sister, Spice. She thought we were too far away from her.

Thank you for the compliment on his grooming. I try!
Ahhh Mouse whines when I'm working with another dog too LOL and Ollie's vids are often inturrepted by Mouse's squeaks and squeals LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
Ahhh Mouse whines when I'm working with another dog too LOL and Ollie's vids are often inturrepted by Mouse's squeaks and squeals LOL
Glad I'm not the only one who gets interrupted when working with the other dog. My golden oldie Zeus has amazing focus, nothing deters him, not even young Ra Kismet playing soccer, shake the ball and generally trying to attract his attention when he's doing his one big trick - shake paws!:D Zeus remains focused, Ra Kismet keeps on trying to distract!