Backwards Leg Weaves

Dlilly

Honored Member
Does anyone know of a good tutorial video of how to teach backwards leg weaves? I'm having trouble with his, not Shiloh. I really need to watch this trick in a video, reading about it won't help me.

:)

sara

Staff member
Cute dog in that vid! I taught it slightly different. I taught solid get in (left side) and get right (right side) and backwards circles and a back between the legs, then I put it altogether into a backwards figure-8. I just recently taught him the weave using the figure-8. The biggest problem Oliver had, was stopping in front of me, instead of continuing around to the get right position. If I started him on the right side, he'd back around my right leg, go into the get in position, back around my left leg, then stop in front. I had a heck of a time teaching him to go back into the get right position. I solved this by stepping towards him with my right leg, turning my body slightly to the left, so he kinda had to keep moving. I had to do that for a very long time. but now he's got it, and does an almost seamless backwards figure-8 and backwards weave :)

I still can't get him to do forwards figure eights, weaves or circles around my legs though LOL

threenorns

lol - i'm the opposite, sara! i taught forward easy-peasy by luring him into it.

the backward leg weaves, we've got it where he'll spin in front of me, back up betw my legs, but then comes around forward.

i can't figure out how to get him to just go around me backwards.

xena98

Experienced Member
I have taught Gabby to weave backwards between my legs where I stand with legs apart and she will go backwards between the leg havent done the walking back so dont know how. Gabby doesnt tend to do it slowly so I can get my legs sorted out though lol so this would be interesting

Anneke

Honored Member
Thanks for that vid, Dogster!! That one is really helpfull! It includes the link to backwards circle, wich was helpfull too.
I had problems with backwards circle and weave too, but Jinx couldn't do a good back-up anyway. So I have been focussing on back-up al lot lately.
I tried the backcircle in my tiny hallway, where I have two walls and the frontdoor to help me and.... We did it! Quite easily, I must say! Yay!
So I guess we might get a full backcircle sometime soon!!!

threenorns

what i did to block dandy was i used a dresser to close in a corner. upstairs, i use the hallway - i close both bedroom doors and the bathroom door and it's a perfect fit.

i'm trying to teach him now to circle backward to the left but the little bugger's at it again: goes backwards fine until he gets to my right side, then just keeps going backwards and pops forward to a sit.

sneaky devil.

MaryK

Honored Member
I haven't got a dresser in this place, darn it, as that's what I need to block Ra Kismet.

Ra Kismet will also work well on the left side, but the right is totally screwed, he's all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!! And he too will just sit!!!!!:rolleyes:

Linda A

Experienced Member
I saw a video of someone using 'training gates' to teach circles, forward and backward. Since the workshop this past weekend I have learned how to use the 'training gates' and have a plan in mind to start teaching Royal and Spice to do backward weaves, etc. I will try to video our progress and post here. Maybe it will help others.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I saw a video of someone using 'training gates' to teach circles, forward and backward. Since the workshop this past weekend I have learned how to use the 'training gates' and have a plan in mind to start teaching Royal and Spice to do backward weaves, etc. I will try to video our progress and post here. Maybe it will help others.
Yes, please!

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes please, would love to see it too:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you so much Linda. Great work!!(y) Can see how they make life a lot easier!

Do the gates come higher though? My Olympic Gold Medalist Jumper would clear that height very easily, with a 'grin' on his face too!

Linda A

Experienced Member
You could use ex-pens. They come in lots of heights. My dogs can easily jump over these but are so interested the what we are doing and the treats they don't bother.