Absolutely Furious

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
l_l_a;5352 said:
I want to see Mud's denim boots! I'm trying to imagine a dog wearing denim boots!
Lol, I'll try to get a pic up here as soon as I can. ^^ I have to admit, they are pretty cute... :dogtongue2:

luna may;5382 said:
It's a real relief to hear she's feeling better :doghappy:
You're my true Idol when it comes to health and first aid- I've saved the link to this thread if I ever, ever need it. Yay Mudflap! :dogblush:
Do you think you could upload a photo of her new boots? Worth a look ;)
I'll get a pic up.
Aw, thanks Luna May!! :dogblush: Well feel free to ask me anything if you ever need to, and I'll help you however I can. ^^ (Just when your vet's off-call, of course! :dogsmile:)

drivingtenacity;5394 said:
I'd sue for medical bills, at least. Your neighbors sound like reprehensible bastards. The very least they should do is pay the vet bill.
I'm the hot tempered type...in your situation, I'd probably catch an assault beef. I'm envious of your level-headedness.
Lol, believe me I was completely enraged when it happened. Soon as I got done doctoring Mud I wanted to rush over(blood on my hands and all) and...yeah well, probably shouldn't go into that. If it weren't for my mom cooping me up in the house, we'd probably have an even bigger issue with our neighbors. My parents don't want to press charges, unfortunately.
It could've been much, much worse. He could've gotten her through the fence completely(if he tried hard enough I suppose), and done more damage. She could've had lasting damage to her paw. She could've had to have that leg removed. He could've gotten her throat.... My point is, could've been worse. So I'm happy that it was "just her leg"...not that that's not important, of course. Just glad she isn't worse off. These people are constantly causing problems on our road...
By the way...how sad is it that the authorities will come out for disturbing the peace, but not for a dog attack on another dog? We've called the police before because at two o' clock in the morning, for no reason, they were sitting in their front yard with their car radio turned up as loud as it would go. The police came and they turned it down...and yet they won't come each time this dog causes problems. :dogangry: It's ridiculous. If it were up to me, our entire police force would be fired and we would hire new ones...but it's not, so oh well.
Anywho, thank you all! You're all so sweet. :dogblush:

l_l_a

Tx_cowgirl you are so nice even to those horrible neighbors! You said it could have been worse but it wasn't, and looking on the bright side. A lot of people would have instead said it could have been worse (even if the actual damage turned out to be minor) and used that as reason to go ahead and sue the pants off everyone in sight!

in your area the law enforcement and animal control are not looking into things which is so frustrating because you are facing a serious problem next to your own house. In my area it's the opposite problem - dangerous dog laws gone awry in their haste to 'protect' the public so dogs involved in innocent and minor scraps can be seized by animal control and put on death row. scary in the opposite way.

anyway...regarding Mud's denim boots - you may have a new business opportunity on your hands....! :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Okay, the good news: Mud is no longer getting around on three legs, although she still favors that paw a bit. And, I got a picture of her in her denim boot!
The bad news: The cord to get pictures from my camera to my computer has disappeared. o-o So unfortunately, I still can't get the pics up for you guys. Sorry!!

kujo3405

Best of luck with Mud I hope you can get somebody to take you seriously. A dog like that is a danger to society. Anyway I give you my sympathy

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, maybe not her best pics but I think she looks pretty cute with her snazzy denim boot on. :D

bigboytex

didnt say she wasnt cute..but i dont know about that boot...looks like some blind redneck made it:dogtongue2:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
xD Gee thanks. It looks better in person. The pic doesn't do it justice...lol. But hey, it did what I wanted it to do. She didn't yank her vet wrap off, and her wounds stayed covered, clean, and doctored. ^^

E

emmasmamma

I think she looks quite snazzy with her boot. You know, some years back, Michael Jackson made quite a fashion statement with one glove, perhaps Mud will start something with one boot!:dogtongue2:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
xDDD Why of course! Well when it's snowy or muddy outside I always have her wear boots on all four paws, simply to make clean-up easier when she comes inside. But for now, she only needs one. ^^

l_l_a

Someone looks all spiffy with their custom denim boot!! she looks like she's showing it off in the pictures! :)

chevycgc

when I had my american bulldogs, one of the three dogs that lives behind me,luckily not the two pit bulls but instead the shepherd mix, came under the fence to attack my dogs. I got my big male who probably outweighed the offending dog by 20 or 30 pounds inside. I thought if I didn't get him inside the fight would be on and since the male loved to fight, I would never get them broken up. This left the female outside and the intruder was on her in a second. With me kicking him and her going at him he decided it wasnt worth it and decided to go sniffing the trees and marking my yard with his urine so I put her inside and grabbed an old "shaker bottle" that had some pennies in it. I ran after him... I wanted him to think I was crazy lol. He did. And he darted for the fence and as he scrambled over instead of under as I was hitting him on his rear (not to hurt him but to make a lasting impression) with the shaker bottle to make it all the more scary for him as he left my yard. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone but i knew this dog would rather leave than take me on. If he ended up cornered and not able to get out of the yard, I wouldn't have pursued him... not smart cornering a scared dog. Anyway the dog still lives there and I don't have the bulldogs anymore, the both died. And now I have smaller dogs. And even though the owner has been responsible and closed the gap under the fence and made second fence so his dog can't get close to my fence, I still worry and I keep a wooden rake handle accessible for me if I find the dog in my yard again.

I would have grabbed my rake handle and would have been jabbing that dog that was trying to pull Mudd under the fence so fast. It might not be politically correct but I don't care when it comes to my dogs, that dog would have lost.

I understand how scary it can be living next to a situation like you are in so my thoughts are with you. Good luck to you in dealing with your neighbors and their dogs.

chevycgc

I had a friend who had a few sheep and her mini donkey killed by some marauding rottie mixes and a Labrador. I saw these dogs in the pound and they were a bit "off"... anyway, the guy was allowed to redeem the Lab but the other dogs were put down. These dogs swam onto her property, harrassed her sheep into exhaustion and ripped out their throats and otherwise lacerated them and ripped ears almost off etc. they found the mini donkey who probably tried to defend against them, dead in the lake and the dogs where exhausted and bloodied and were resting under a tree guarding the sheep that were left... nothing happened to the owner and this wasnt the first time he was in trouble for his roaming dogs. arrrgggh it is frustrating...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I've had problems with this dog before, and unlike the attacker in your situation, he's not the least bit phased by a person running at him with a weapon. He's tried to attack me on numerous occasions, WEAPON IN HAND, defending myself. I've run at him with a broom, a golf club, and numerous other items before and he will keep on coming, teeth bared. I would never want to intentionally hurt a dog, but if he's trying to hurt me or my dog, I have little mercy. He would have killed Mud if he had gotten her all the way under the fence. Rusty and Zeke were going crazy trying to defend her, but they couldn't do anything since he was on his side of the fence. The boys backed off when I came out there and let me take care of the situation, but they were all rather riled by the end of the ordeal. Mud was scared of course, but she remained completely calm while I examined and doctored her wounds. :)
It's a shame some owners are so irresponsible. If it had been Nick(my teacup Chihuahua) instead of Mud, he'd be dead. That dog would've destroyed him in a matter of seconds... I'm still furious, but at least they've kept a little better control of him recently...but it won't last. After a while they'll start letting him out again. He does leave my livestock alone, so I don't really fear him killing my horses, lambs, or steers. I keep a close eye on everything nonetheless...

l_l_a

It angers me to hear of people who allow their dogs to repeatedly attack, maul and KILL other living beings!! Especially when, like Chevycgc said, it was actually a pack of dogs (dogs can behave very differently when they are in packs than when alone). Did the rottie mixes and the Lab all belong to the same owner?

I've seen dog-deterrant sprays being sold in Petsmart, I believe they are just citronella - not toxic but most dogs can't stand the smell/taste - and it comes in a pepper spray-like can. I wonder if those would help, or if your neighbor's dog would be immune to that too just as he is immune to the broom, golf club, etc. after all a dog that's in such a frenzy can be immune to a lot of things at that point in time! What about banging pots and pans together, do you think that would scare your neighbor's dog off or make him leave you alone?