What To Teach First

southerngirl

Honored Member
Umm... What do I teach puppy first. Leave it, stay off of counters, Down, not to get on furniture unless invited, don't go in kitchen during meal time, stay out of garbage? What the heck do I start with? I have started teaching "Leave it" but should I teach something else first?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I think come and stay are the most important. Come can save your dogs life, and stay is very useful for keeping them out of things, keeping them out of your way, etc. I also think a general stay in this area is good. For example, stay in my room, stay in the kitchen, stay inside, etc. In this instance they aren't required to stay in one spot, but required to stay in the designated area. Also, teaching them not to run out the door if its open. I can't tell you how many times Chloe ran away as a puppy because we accidently left the door open. Now, even if the door is open, Chloe just stands there looking out, but doesn't run out (usually ;) ). It's also good so that you don't open the door to go outside without the dog, and they sprint out the door before you can stop them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say what you should teach first. I would agree with Linda, teach come first.

You know.... This puppy is starting to seem like it's not a temporary situation... ;)

southerngirl

Honored Member
I think come and stay are the most important. Come can save your dogs life, and stay is very useful for keeping them out of things, keeping them out of your way, etc. I also think a general stay in this area is good. For example, stay in my room, stay in the kitchen, stay inside, etc. In this instance they aren't required to stay in one spot, but required to stay in the designated area. Also, teaching them not to run out the door if its open. I can't tell you how many times Chloe ran away as a puppy because we accidently left the door open. Now, even if the door is open, Chloe just stands there looking out, but doesn't run out (usually ;) ). It's also good so that you don't open the door to go outside without the dog, and they sprint out the door before you can stop them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say what you should teach first. I would agree with Linda, teach come first.

You know.... This puppy is starting to seem like it's not a temporary situation... ;)
I work on her not running out the door everytime I open it and so does everyone else.:) I also find that very important for a dog to know. Plus it can be annoying having a dog barge it's way through the door.

And I agree it seems that we are keeping her, but I'm not going to push it with my parents. I'm just going with the flow.

Mutt

Experienced Member
The 3 most important things for me are:
- Sit
- Stay
- Off leash walking
Recall is also a very important one, though I rather teach a dog to stay closebye (don't dissapear into the Woods) when walking off leash.
The sit + stay are for emergencies, to calm down and for impuls control.

Other behaviors which are good to learn:
respecting pets, ignoring other dogs/people on leash, loose leash walking, stay, go to your mat, calm behavior, greeting people politely (no jumping), down, potty training, no wrecking (toys are for playing), taking a treat gently...

southerngirl

Honored Member
Oh and just to put it out there this is my first time actually teaching a puppy. Missy was just crazy ill behaved dog until she was about 2. I was 12 and had never heard of + reinforcement.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I think that you will find things to teach pretty quickly, they usually end up being little trouble makers, so she will probably end up having quite a few things that you want to work on with her to fix. Also, although you probably already know this, they need lots of socialization!!! I would recommend taking her to a puppy class. Once you know she is completely vaccinated then take her to the pet store and other places where strange people and dogs are.

southerngirl

Honored Member
She will not be getting a bunch of vaccinations, she will only get her rabies shot. I don't have the money for that and I don't like getting all those shots for the dogs. I really think a lot of them are unnecessary. I myself don't even get shots. Missy has only ever gotten a rabies shot and is very healthy. I would love to do puppy class, but unless I'm getting a job soon that's not possible. She will be taken a lot of places with us to socialize her, such as parks, baseball games, waterfalls, and so on.:) Thank you for all your help. And yes, she is a trouble maker, though not as bad as Missy was.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
She will not be getting a bunch of vaccinations, she will only get her rabies shot. I don't have the money for that and I don't like getting all those shots for the dogs. I really think a lot of them are unnecessary. I myself don't even get shots. Missy has only ever gotten a rabies shot and is very healthy. I would love to do puppy class, but unless I'm getting a job soon that's not possible. She will be taken a lot of places with us to socialize her, such as parks, baseball games, waterfalls, and so on.:) Thank you for all your help. And yes, she is a trouble maker, though not as bad as Missy was.
Puppy class is the easiest way, but I understand about not being able to afford it, and the ways you listed work well too! Will be looking forward to some more pictures or a video of the new pup! :)

Honored Member
How would you teach this? Would you just call them every time they got to far?
I taught Holly this by doing these things:
1) I gave her a treat everytime she came over to me when we were at the park off-leash (without me calling her).
2) Everytime she looked back at me I "clicked" and she would run back to me to get her treat.
3) I would call her back if she got too far away (didn't happen very often because of the above two things) and gave a treat.

This taught her that I give treats for her just staying near and taught her to "check-in" so now she will look back at me if she gets too far ahead at the park/on tracks and will come back if she's starting to get too far without me actually calling her.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I taught Holly this by doing these things:
1) I gave her a treat everytime she came over to me when we were at the park off-leash (without me calling her).
2) Everytime she looked back at me I "clicked" and she would run back to me to get her treat.
3) I would call her back if she got too far away (didn't happen very often because of the above two things) and gave a treat.

This taught her that I give treats for her just staying near and taught her to "check-in" so now she will look back at me if she gets too far ahead at the park/on tracks and will come back if she's starting to get too far without me actually calling her.
Thank you!:)

Mutt

Experienced Member
How would you teach this? Would you just call them every time they got to far?
nope, I want them to watch me (of course I also look out for them) when I walk with my dogs off leash I rarely say anything I just change my direction and they know they have to follow me because I will keep walking.
When they walk ahead of me and I want to turn around I simply tell them 'back' and turn around and they will immediately come.
How to teach this: let the dog off leash in a safe place and walk with her, is the dog going to far: say his name once (in the beginning stages) turn around and keep walking away (even if the dog doesn't come just walk away). Try getting out of sight (the dog will soon come to search for you and than praise them a lot).

MaryK

Honored Member
Sounds like she's growing on everyone - LOL not literally she'll do that too of course.:LOL:

As she knows sit, lie down, here and stay, you've covered the basics!(y)

I would also make sure she knows recall/come really well.
On you mat. For her quiet times.
Socialization around people and dogs. Four paws on the ground when meeting people.
Handling her - like legs, ears, mouth etc. makes it easier on the vets and yourself if she ever needs attention, like burrs in her paws, bone stuck in her mouth etc.
Stand - good for grooming and the vets.
Quiet - when she barks click/treat the moment she stops barking - cue could be quiet.
Heel work.
Sit/drop at a distance or on the 'run'.

You're a very good trainer Danielle, so she'll be right up there before you know it.:)

Tricks do make sure she doesn't do any which involve stress on the joints. For example, no high jumping, too much strain on young shoulder joints.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Tricks do make sure she doesn't do any which involve stress on the joints. For example, no high jumping, too much strain on young shoulder joints.
I've been arguing with my mom about this. I keep telling her no jumping(as in my brothers holding things in the air to make her jump) now running(jogs with people of course she can run when playing).

southerngirl

Honored Member
Sounds like she's growing on everyone - LOL not literally she'll do that too of course.:LOL:

As she knows sit, lie down, here and stay, you've covered the basics!(y)

I would also make sure she knows recall/come really well.
On you mat. For her quiet times.
Socialization around people and dogs. Four paws on the ground when meeting people.
Handling her - like legs, ears, mouth etc. makes it easier on the vets and yourself if she ever needs attention, like burrs in her paws, bone stuck in her mouth etc.
Stand - good for grooming and the vets.
Quiet - when she barks click/treat the moment she stops barking - cue could be quiet.
Heel work.
Sit/drop at a distance or on the 'run'.

You're a very good trainer Danielle, so she'll be right up there before you know it.:)
Thank you. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I've been arguing with my mom about this. I keep telling her no jumping(as in my brothers holding things in the air to make her jump) now running(jogs with people of course she can run when playing).
Can feel for you Danielle! My partner can be stubborn as well, though partners are easier to train than parents, he thinks he's always right!

Try staying very calm, quiet and emphatic, and maybe find some articles on line about not allowing puppies to jump etc.

You're right too, running around freely is fine, puppies have their zoomies, but out 'jogging' is a no no that's for sure!