Video of the Week: Gage Doing Off-Leash Obedience

CollieMan

Experienced Member
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLVkM-mQkQ[/media]As much as I like agility work, my heart is really in obedience, and I never tire of seeing it in action. (Lucky for Ellie, Jan loves agility as much as I love competitive obedience.)

Not a perfect display by any stretch of the imagination, but extremely impressive all the same.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I want to achieve this level of obedience so much!
I'm still at around 2 steps with Pami, and I can't really turn yet...
But this is really impressive!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
szecsuani;1873 said:
I want to achieve this level of obedience so much!
I'm still at around 2 steps with Pami, and I can't really turn yet...
But this is really impressive!
Practise, practise, practise... :)

I don't know how long that particular dog has been learning, but I do know that all dogs improve with practise.

I could be wrong but I also thought I heard her training the same commands in English, French, AND German. (Not sure about the German but I thought I heard an "Aus". Sounds a lot like "Out" though.) I've often seen dogs taught in two different languages, but never three.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video, very good response to her voice and body signals too! :dogsmile: My training sessions kind of look like that when I take my dogs out, but I do less distance work. :dogsmile:

l_l_a

Nice video, I love competitive obedience too, thanks for posting that video Collie Man! (people think I'm boring because at dog shows I often forgo watching agility to go watch the competitive obedience, glad I'm not the only one! :) ) the dog seemed just a little bit negatively stressed at times, but schutzhund is a demanding sport on both dog and handler and I really admire those who are dedicated to it. In schutzhund the commands have to be given in german.

You might enjoy this video too Collie Man, I'm a big fan of this schutzhund and AKC obedience trainer, I learned about her after an acquantance of mine had been to this lady's seminars. this dog is a SchH3 but in this video they are doing AKC-style obedience, hence the handler has left hand on her waist . She is a clicker trainer too by the way (which is still quite rare in competitive obedience circles here) nevertheless she is an expert trainer. I've heard her dogs are so highly trained that they know to heel two inches further in front during Sch obedience versus AKC obedience, and they take their cues from her hand position!! wow!
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2YgjeTINLM[/media]

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Everyone chat amongst yourselves, I've found a fellow C/O fanatic in l_l_a :)

Loved the video. I know nothing about the handler but I can see that the dog looks extremely enthusiastic, and I think she did a really good job of breaking the session up between work and play.

With regards to the first video, it was the French language addition that surprised me, not the German. As you say, Schutzhund commands are always in German. I've frequently seen German and English, but never then a third language. As for what I love about C/O. Time for a blog entry I think... :)

Thanks again for the video.