Trick Challenge: Stand Tall Back To Back

running_dog

Honored Member
You can see the trick as part of a freestyle routine at 1:15 in the following clip.

For this challenge all that is required is for the dog to move into the stand tall position back to back with the trainer, there is no walking required and minimal duration. As an alternative if you think it is better for your dog you can teach it as a sit up and beg back to back with you.

To participate you can have already either taught your dog stand tall/sit up but not have taught it to perform back to back with you, I've assumed that most participants will have already trained these tricks. Please post a message to this thread to let us all know if you are going to be joining in.

If you can please submit a video to this thread on or before the 17th March... the video should include:
1. Your dog doing stand tall/beg before you try to train it behind you, so we can see how confident all our dogs are with the ground work.
2. Part of your first training session showing how you set about training.
3. The final trick repeated 3 times in the same clip - you might want to think about how you would transition to and from this trick in a freestyle routine and show that in this clip too :-)

If you know you won't be able to submit a video for whatever reason do please still train along with us... the more of us join in the more fun it is and the more we can learn from each other and our dogs.

Any questions/suggestions/ideas/hints about this challenge please post them in this thread, ideas for other challenges please post them in "Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge".

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm hoping to try this challenge with Zac and possibly Gus. Zac likes to do his tricks in front of me and we've been working on him finding my face a lot so he is probably not going to find this as easy as it looks especially as he tries to turn everything into peekaboo!

My plan so far is to get him to start with sit behind me, then to sit up as Zac is more secure with those cues and then all being well progress to stand tall.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Chloe and I will try this. We may not be able to make the deadline, as we have a lot we are working on right now, and Chloe is very, very hesitant to work behind me. Plus she doesn't know stand tall that well to begin with, haha! But it doesn't hurt to try! So we will work on it, we can always just post a video of how far we have gotten when the deadline comes.

running_dog

Honored Member
Chloe and I will try this. We may not be able to make the deadline, as we have a lot we are working on right now, and Chloe is very, very hesitant to work behind me. Plus she doesn't know stand tall that well to begin with, haha! But it doesn't hurt to try! So we will work on it, we can always just post a video of how far we have gotten when the deadline comes.

That sounds great :).

It looks like I'm going to get rather a slow start on this because Zac has just started what I hope is just an attack of pancreatitis/IBS and not something worse, it's his first episode in 10 months but apparently he ate some lamb stock last night, a more greasy food is hard to imagine. So it's just water and keep him quiet until I can get him to his appointment at the vets :( .

kassidybc

Experienced Member

It looks like I'm going to get rather a slow start on this because Zac has just started what I hope is just an attack of pancreatitis/IBS and not something worse, it's his first episode in 10 months but apparently he ate some lamb stock last night, a more greasy food is hard to imagine. So it's just water and keep him quiet until I can get him to his appointment at the vets :( .
Awww! Poor Zac! I'll be praying it's just pancreatitis and not something worse!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

Sorry to hear that - hope it goes ok at the vet.

Me and Ripley are in too and gonna start working on sit up and beg back to back because of my ankle.

southerngirl

Honored Member
How are you guys starting this trick? I don't really know where to start.....
I started off teaching stand. Missy and Piper got it pretty quickly. Today I worked on being behind Piper, because she wants to be facing me. To do that I've been putting her in a sit stay and walking a tight circle around her from there I will slowly increase the time I'm standing behind her.
With Missy I'm already having my back to her and asking her to stand. She is but as she stands she turns to face me so I'm click for right when she goes starts to stand hoping it will help.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I started off teaching stand. Missy and Piper got it pretty quickly. Today I worked on being behind Piper, because she wants to be facing me. To do that I've been putting her in a sit stay and walking a tight circle around her from there I will slowly increase the time I'm standing behind her.
With Missy I'm already having my back to her and asking her to stand. She is but as she stands she turns to face me so I'm click for right when she goes starts to stand hoping it will help.
Thanks! I'll try that!

running_dog

Honored Member
How are you guys starting this trick? I don't really know where to start.....
Here's a slightly different idea for teaching the trick but I haven't tried it yet as I didn't feel like training with Gus and making Zac unhappy about it.

I'm hoping to teach Zac initially as a version of peekaboo with me facing one way and him the other. I'll ask him for a down which will anchor him facing in the right direction at first and hopefully reduce the turning to face me, then go to sit, then sit up, stand tall. When I get to the sit stage I'll reward him further behind me (possibly with a thrown treat) so he will hopefully start to move further through in anticipation :). I'd then need to explain to him that he can get into the stand tall position from another start than peekaboo.

KassidyBC and Ripleygirl thanks for your kind thoughts and prayer, Zac started to have some more of his usual symptoms so hopefully he will be a lot better tomorrow.

running_dog

Honored Member
I tried a session with Zac this morning, neither of us were at our best but I found something interesting when I played back the video clips (I was too busy trying to get him to do as I asked at the time). Zac was giving me take a bow before down, that is what I've taught him facing the other way in peekaboo position. So he might be putting together the facing forwards trick and trying it facing backwards. My new plan is to work on getting him (and Gus) to sit back to back with me so they get used to the right position but I'm going to work on the stand up cue with them facing the same way as me as it is easier to lure and get on cue in front. Then all being well I'm going to put it together as stand tall back to back.

The neat thing about this idea is that the dog gets used to working without seeing you while you can see it :cool:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I was thinking with the stand tall back to back to introduce something like 'dual?' as a verbal cue, which could then, in the future, incorporate 'pace' (forward in stand tall), 'face' (onto four leg & turn 180), 'take aim' (holding a high five at distance), 'fire' (fall to a flat/play dead). This is way in the future for me, just something that popped into my head... :unsure:

running_dog

Honored Member
I am looking for a name to call the behavior of River turning his back to me and doing a beg leaning up against me...any suggestions?

I'm aiming for the stand tall back to back and thinking of using "measure up" because it incorporates "up" from my "stand up" cue and could be part of a question sort of, "how do you measure up?"

I like Ripleygirl's idea but other possibilities that may be suitable for the beg position are "You got my back?" and "Prop".

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Are we suppose to be recording our progress? Or can we just show a video of the final product? We haven't been recording so far, but we could start now...

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I'm aiming for the stand tall back to back and thinking of using "measure up" because it incorporates "up" from my "stand up" cue and could be part of a question sort of, "how do you measure up?"

I like Ripleygirl's idea but other possibilities that may be suitable for the beg position are "You got my back?" and "Prop".
I really like 'you got my back?', that's a great idea!

running_dog

Honored Member
Are we suppose to be recording our progress? Or can we just show a video of the final product? We haven't been recording so far, but we could start now...
Ideally your video should show:

1. Your dog doing stand tall/beg before you try to train it behind you, so we can see how confident all our dogs are with the ground work.
2. Part of your first training session showing how you set about training.
3. The final trick repeated 3 times in the same clip - you might want to think about how you would transition to and from this trick in a freestyle routine and show that in this clip too :-)

But as you haven't started yet that is okay, just start with where you are now. We are all just getting back into the idea of trick challenges :)