Trick Challenge: Crawl

brody_smom

Experienced Member
My smart dog learned a behavior chain today! He picked it up pretty fast. He knew all the separate tricks already,we just added them together. We will have to work on another one now!
Nice to see the process from start to finish. He is a smart boy! Would you just add more obstacles into the chain, or start from something brand new?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
It seems like it would be quite easy for him just to add one more obstacle a day, using back chaining. I would just get creative with whatever you have around the house/yard, like what you did for this, but incorporating behaviors he already knows, like crawls or jumps.
That's a really good idea. I could probably put the crawl in after the down, I am going to let River's legs heal a few more days, but he is looking a whole lot better. I finally went out and bought him one of those cones since nothing else was working to get him to leave his poor legs alone.

I was also thinking about doing a separate sequence on the lines of stalking or maybe like a Indiana Jones type of sequence although I am not sure how prepared he is for that.

running_dog

Honored Member
We've got until Monday to finish training and get our dogs filmed doing the crawl challenge... that's about 4 days now!

running_dog

Honored Member
How's it going with everyone?

Zac is getting the idea and crawling a short distance quite nicely.

Gus crawled perfectly the first couple of times but now he's lost it completely, I guess I must have accidentally marked the wrong things or not rewarded enough or something :oops:

running_dog

Honored Member
I had the following advice from srdogtrainer (I got side tracked on another thread :rolleyes:) about Gus's crawling regression - perfect crawl the first couple of times and then he's behaved like a total idiot every time I've tried it with him since.

srdogtrainer said, "I would start over with Gus. Pretend you haven't worked on it at all. Get him doing the down. then ask for a very gradual, inching forward. He crawls even 1/2 inch, awesome! Then very gradually increase it. If at anytime he gets up get him back in a down and try for even less. I also like to mix it up when I am getting progress. So if they are starting to gradually increase the distance I might throw in some shorter distances and reward so they never know how long it will be. This increases their motivation too"

Anyway I've finally got Gus to crawl again, okay he's hardly moving at all and he's so demented with excitement (even without treats) that he's trying to wrestle, chew my hands off, roll over and crawl all at the same time, but he's crawling, kind of :rolleyes: !

Thank you srdogtrainer :)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Me and Ripley are doing okish. but not making the progress I would like. I may be a day late with my vid as it is my mum's 75th on monday and having a b'day family party weekend thing going on... :eek: but will post as soon as I can.

running_dog

Honored Member
Sorry, I could view it from the forum, so I thought everyone could. It should work now.
It does work now, thank you.
I loved seeing you working with Brody, my first thought was that despite all his problems he has a lovely bond and rapport with you.