Low Shedding Breeds

Dogster

Honored Member
Whippets don't shed a lot. labs do though. There are tiny little black hairs all over our house!!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Some low shedding breeds, have fairly extensive grooming requirements, worth knowing.

Of course, you'd have to research the breed well, too, of course,
for it's energy level and exercise requirements, etc etc etc, too.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hmm.....
Bichon Frises, but since you said not Poodle you probably aren't interested in a Bichon either. ^^
I don't think Basenjis shed a lot, but not 100% sure.
My Weimaraner doesn't shed a terrible amount.

What else are you looking for aside from low shedding?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<---WONDERS why someone would not want a poodle....brilliant brilliant dogs, and often considered one of the easiest to train. Not usually hyper, especially the larger size poodles are kind of more mellow to live with, just such smart smart dogs...sooo smart...3 sizes, lots of colors, nice shaped dogs. Without the foofoo haircuts, are very cute dogs, too. Not sure what i think of those foofoo hairdos, don't like that, but, when just given a natural haircut, they are very cute dogs.

so many ppl seem unaware, poodles always make top 3 smartest dog list, if not #1, poodles often slide in at#2 of the top 3 smartest dogs.
Many say poodles are way easier to train, and easier to live with, than border collies.

but, we've all got our preferences, just thought i'd stand up for those super smart poodles!;)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
All the standards I've met are lovably goofy, just total clowns. I love the standards. But, it is a loooooot of brushing, and grooming for a Poodle of any size is so expensive.
Poodles don't seem to be as driven as BCs. Still high energy dogs but not as workoholic, go go go 24/7.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Thanks everyone. I am looking for a breed that is good in agility, tricks and freestyle. Also the dog will get 2, 1 hour walks a day. I have a medium sized yard. I don't want a curly coated because of the grooming, washing etc. I dont have anything against poodles but dont really want one.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yeah, if one doesn't learn how to groom the dog themselves, it would be expensive to keep those coats cut and all that. I bet it is complicated, no idea, heard it is involved, and i heard that most ppl just take poodles to a pro for the hair care, and don't do it themselves.

I know some large poodles, too, a pal of mine has 3 large poodles, all 3 are different colors, with normal haircuts, not 'fancy' haircuts, so stunning all 3 walking along together.

and all 3 poodles are laid back, gentle, mellow dogs who are just brilliant dogs, not nutty like BCs are, but do love to play, and LOVE the water, too.

I've also heard that poodles are a lil but easier to train than BCs for the average dog owner................ now maybe i wont' say this part right, but, something about BCs are so so specific, in almost obsessive way, which despite a BC's smarts, sometimes a small shift in body posture can throw off some BCs, whereas poodles somehow lack that obsessive thing and get most cues a lil easier from average dog owners faster than BCs do....could be wrong, but, it makes sense to ME! lol, Buddy IS obsessive a bit....

lots of smaller dogs seem to bark more often, and i just like larger dogs really. Guess we all have our preferences. Although, it might be fun to have a dog i can pick up and would actually fit on my lap, too! I can see that.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ah, well dogster, if you do not want a lot of involved grooming, i think you are right, poodles are not for you! Otherwise, they'd fit the bill you are looking for.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
it is great Dogster, that you are putting much thought into getting a dog, good on you! Impulse dogs ("but it's' so cute!")
are not always the best fit for a person's lifestyle...so it is great you are being thoughtful and wise about this!:)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
A Weim or a Basenji could be a good fit.
Terriers of all the various kinds aren't light shedders by any means, but they would also be great for agility, freestyle, and tricks.
Doberman come to mind too, not super light shedders but could be good for those sports.
Pits are also not the lightest shedders but also good for those sports.
Same for Boxers....

Lol, might have to compromise on the shedding. xD
Anything sound interesting?

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Thanks again. Pits aren't allowed in Ontario and Doberman are to big for me. I am looking for more of 45pound dog so it wont squish me when doing back vaults:D. I like Weim`s, Nova scotia duck tollings, jack russels ang border collies but they are not low shedding.:(

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
my border collie is pretty low shedding. He is. Least shedding dog i've ever had. He sheds like a crazy boy in the spring for about 3 weeks, and again in the fall, other than that, brushing him a few times a week catches most of it.
When he is blowing out his coat in the spring or fall, i just bathe him a lot at those times, gets it ALL out in one day that way. I really don't notice much dog hair on my furniture or clothes or car,

not like my last dog, WOW, he shed allllllllllll the time, all the time....nonstop.

hairballs the size of tubleweeds blew around my house, the day after i vaccuumed...

but, i hear other BCs are heavy shedders. The BC coat comes in more than one kind, maybe that is something...
if you go for an adult dog, if it is in foster care, you can ask them if the dog is heavy shedder. A no mystery kind of dog.:)

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
I really don't care about shedding and I would love too get an adult dog but my mom wants a low shedding puppy and I am trying to convince her that shedding dogs aren't that bad. Carmel almost doesn't shed.

Anneke

Honored Member
Don't get a white dog...:D Cooper sheds less than Jinx, but I hardly find his hair around the house. It's all white and grey balls of fluff. On my clothes. In my food.
I'm used to it, don't mind it. Just need to vacuum more often. Weird thing though, because I can brush her and get hardly anything off, and an hour later there will be hair everywhere. I swear her coat resists the brush:LOL:
The only thing that works is the furminator, but I don't use it often as it thins out her coat too much.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Well, with one dog, you can devote so so so much time to that one dog and his/her training.
With one dog you only have one food bowl to fill and consequently only one dog to clean up after.
One dog to walk. One dog to travel with or find a pupsitter for if you go somewhere.
One dog to vaccinate, worm, etc.

That being said...
If your dog does well with other dogs, being able to play with other dogs is so good for them. Another dog can give them the kind of play and communication that we can't possibly give them because we have an anatomical disadvantage...we're humans, lol! That doesn't mean that a single dog is not happy, by any means, don't take that the wrong way.
Having two dogs means being able to teach double-dog tricks--my favorites! (Although that is certainly NOT a good reason to get another dog, lol! :ROFLMAO:)
Having two dogs means always having a distraction ready when you're working on advancing certain tricks. :)

I can say that having 3 dogs and training all of them for various things is a lot of work. And a lot of food. We have 4 dogs, 3 being mine and 1 being my mom's. It's a housefull, lol! But, I love it. I don't remember what it's like to only have one dog. O_o

If you're considering it, I think it's a great idea to foster. That way, you can see if you are ready for another dog and see what it takes to raise two dogs, and you'll be helping a dog find a home. :) If you decide one dog is plenty for you after the dog is adopted, then you're back to your one dog and you've helped a dog find a home.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Lol, Dogster, you sound like me! I always want more dogs, but also feel hesitation about the costs, the time & energy, etc. In one way, maybe is a good thing *my* dog IS dog-aggressive,
otherwise,
i might end up as a "dog-hoarder":ROFLMAO:

One other thing that seems to me an advantage of only one dog, is, Buddy is with us almost 24/7, when we visit pals, most everywhere we go, Buddy is with us. You see us, you see our dog. It's fine to visit pals with one well-behaved dog,
but 2 or more dogs, might seem a bit much to the other ppl.

still, i think it'd be so much fun for Buddy to have a housemate dog....and my heart breaks for all the homeless out there.
Dogster, i LOVE your foster a dog idea so so much, what a great solution, so you can both get an idea if two dogs is for you,
as well as help a homeless dog find a permanent home.

Dogster

Honored Member
I agree with you Tigerlily!!:LOL: Shivon can use some company, although she gets a bit jealous when dogcrazy's dog, Carmel comes over and we do tricks. It's hilarious!!:ROFLMAO: