How To Train: Hand Stand (video)

xena98

Experienced Member
That is brilliant I think I might have to try it out now that I have seen how it's done
cheers
Danni and the girls

sweetcanela

Experienced Member
i love the video, hope i can get toby my border collie to have that same spirit..he a lazy little boy!! maybe i will try it on my golden she loves to do new things.

leema

I love the first one but had a hard time finding it on YouTube since I first watched it! Thanks for posting it so I can find it again.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Pami now knows this trick!!
And she can do it without any support! :D
I'm really proud about it. It took us half a year to learn it... :D

krazykaine3

We loved the video! Thank you for posting such a cool video of your amazing dogs. Wow, Cas really is so enthusiastic about learning, isn't she? It is amazing the difference from when you got her and she was scared, to now...a happy and super confident looking beauty.

Woofs & Wags,
Ashley & Kaine

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
Been training Milo to do this for the past few days and have managed to reliably get on box and put front legs on ground but have been stuck trying to get him to back up to it. So just reading through posts have realised I need to try something lower so starting again with a telephone directory or something similar. Will report back!

Sue

helps

we started this with mattress simply on the floor (it's high about 8-10cm) and first i lured him to get his back on the mattress and i was gradually putting boxes and stuff under the mattress and now it's nearly straight and he's able to get his butt up ... as long as i know, when dog gets it and does it automatically you should click a second before he touches the box/mattress/ or whatever you use, so you click for actual standing on his front legs... but i guess it takes precise timing w/ clicker... we're not that far yer :)

fly30

Experienced Member
@ginauk84 I'm really keen on the good job you're doing with your border collie. She really behaves like mine, so funny. And thanks for sharing the trick, it will be useful to me as we have not worked on that yet as I wanted my dog to be old enough to give it a try.

Liz

Great instructional video!

My girl is currently working on improving her core/strength but we are about 1/2 a way up the wall. We used a method very similar to yours. Works like a charm!

lyka_01

i really enjoyed watching your video. thanks for sharing. im gonna try this with my labs at home :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog Crates, Pet Crates. 30% OFF & FREE Shipping on Pet Crates and Dog Crates

tofisiek

Great vid! I really want to teach Mickey that trick. I was even trying but he couldn't get the point :p but you encouraged me to try again :D

Liseepea

Thanks for the video. Finlie and I have been working the back legs up for a while now and she is finally getting it.

fly30

Experienced Member
We are having a go with Fly. She's playing the game but I'm not sure she loves that trick. Anyway, she's trying and we are making progress.

paradismutts

This is pretty amazing! I seen a few videos of dogs doing a handstand and even one how to teach it, I like yours quite a bit! I will have to start lower with Cody, bad rear end awareness, but I am will certainly give it a shot! By the way your BC is adorable, I love how excited she is! Such joy.

fly30

Experienced Member
Thank you Paradismutts. What you can do is to teach Cody to walk backward on a flat floor, then "back up" on something like a stair or event a book. If he does not backup straight, put some chairs or any obstacle on each side and carry on. Once he got it, then teach him to back up on two or three stairs so that he gets used to climb a few steps back. Then put books against a wall and there we go. When he can back up on them, add books gradually. That's where we stand for the moment.
Once Fly has it, I will ask her to back up on the wall.

paradismutts

Thank you for the advice! I will probably try that first, since he does back up (he does it on his own when excited) but never straight. He always goes rather sideways, but I will use your tip with the chairs so he is becomes aware of his back end. Thank you again.