How To Train: Hand Stand (video)

ginauk84

Just added a vid to the blog of how to start to teach the handstand - I am not going and further than her walking her back legs on an object as just want her to think about her back legs. So here is my little rescue collie showing how its done:

And some outakes/freetime:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
ginauk84;3951 said:
Thanks, she's such a joy to train though she does get a little OTT at times!
I'd rather that then the opposite. I think it's much harder to make a dog enthused and energetic than it is to calm them down, or if you don't calm them down, at least put that energy and enthusiasm to good use.

She does look like a powerhouse of energy.

A

amanda85

i've seen this trick couple of times, and can't get the idea how it was done..

the vid really gave me a clear idea, can't wait to try it out...

ginauk84

Great glad it helped :-)

Yes I agree, Rum is much the opposite to Cas and not as self-motivated so it is hard work and the slightest thing knocks his confidence, but then he's still young, Cas is around about 8 now.

ginauk84

Yes just a storage container, though I new Cas was quite aware of where her backlegs are. With Rum I started on a box half the height as he is a bit more clumsy.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Nice. ^^ Mud and I started this a few weeks ago, but I didn't start with something as high as the box you used. Mud had an understandable amount of difficulty with a relatively small object, and after having no success, I just changed objects until I found something that she understood better. We ended up using two pillows squished together that is merely centimeters higher than the floor. Not the ideal object, but it works and she got it much better. We've progressed to about 6 inches off the floor now, which is a huge improvement for her. I'm taking it slow, and she's doing well. Had a rocky start, but now it seems to be clicking. ^^

ginauk84

Yes Cas has always been quite aware of her back legs so I was confident starting her high, however with Rum I started off with a book as he is not quite so coordinated.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I tried this a few times now, but Pami is not really good at it.
We reached the backing to the book part, but she just can't step on it.
I think she doesn't even know she has back legs! :msngiggle:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
When Mud and I started, she would try to back onto the object, then sit. So I had to get faster with the clicker and lure her forward just slightly to keep her up. The last time we worked on it(I've been out of town for a while) she had progressed to backing and lifting her feet onto a 6-inch box, without sitting. That was a few days after the initial lesson. I plan on working on it again today and giving her a refresher, since she had to stay behind while I was gone. The 6-inch box was a huge improvement for her. She also tries to back around things, rather than onto them, so I had to sit in the floor with her standing between my legs. I had my feet on either side of the object, and if she tried going around the object she bumped into them. This left her with only one option: to back onto the object. She's been doing well, and once I get offline we'll get to work again. Wish Mud was as aware of her rear legs as Cas. ^^ She'd learn the trick a lot quicker.

A

amanda85

szecsuani;4287 said:
I tried this a few times now, but Pami is not really good at it.
We reached the backing to the book part, but she just can't step on it.
I think she doesn't even know she has back legs! :msngiggle:
i would have used that same phrase 'she doesn't even know she had back legs' on my dog..

we tried on the box already... she did manage to go up, and come down with both her front paws and the hind legs remains up there'....

but when i ask her to back up....she got lost... and then she tried to get her body up on the box and come down with 2 paws again....:msnsad:

hmmm... i have lotsa thinking to do now....shld find a way to communicate with her better...

bigboytex

nice vid...i was kinda woundering how to do that....I tried it with Karah and shes....well less then grace full when it comes to this kind of stuff...she coudnet figure out that she had to step up.

chevycgc

Great video thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a video that would teach this. Is it the goal to have the dog do a hand stand without props? If so, what is the next step?

Thanks,
Sally
Loki
Scram
Hasty
the flyindogz .us

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL... Is this how you do it??? :D Gotta love this video.. Too funny :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1fVofiLkJg[/media]