Great Dane/st Brenard Jobs...

GEORGE'SDAD

I have been thinking of giving my great dane st brenard mix dog a job...i was thinking that since he goes to little league baseball games/tournaments with us, I would get him a "pack saddle" type device so he can carry our chairs, drinks, dog toys, treats, and his water. i would keep the load light, about 30-35 lbs max!!! Anybody have any input on this?:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
Pack saddles for dogs are great. I have one for my dog Missy, not only does it free my hands up, but it gives her a job. When she has it on she is more calm. You should probably look up how much a dog his size should carry. When you start using it don't put anything in at first so he can get used to it. Than slowly add weight(make sure you don't put to much. Most importantly you should bring him with you when you get it because it's harder to fit things for mutts.

GEORGE'SDAD

My uncle has goat pack saddles and he said i can have one, my dad said he can modify it so it fits the dog perfectly and stays secure, my dog is close enough in size to the goats the saddles were made for that with just minimal tweaking, we can get them to fit properly and comfortably on the dog.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
How much does your dog weigh?
I have no idea how large of an item a dog can carry, for how long, but, the idea is adorable!! I am an average size adult human and i'd tire of carrying a 35lb item in less than an hour!:ROFLMAO:

edit: nevermind, i just googled, and i weigh far far less than a ST Bernard!:ROFLMAO: I haven't been close to one for a while now, i do forget how BIG they are!!

Can't wait til you post pics!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
OH MY GOSH that is one huge dog. He weighs a lot more than me. I've never seen a Saint Bernard up close, I knew they were huge, but wow.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
George'sDad, that is an easy trick to teach, you should surprise your wife and teach George this trick, (IF it's physically possible, if you are tall enough, etc).
For a dog THAT size, you could use cue words "Ride 'em cowboy" or something!!:ROFLMAO::LOL::p:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, my last comment sounds odd, but, see, the reason i mentioned that George'sDad would surprise wife with a trick for his dog, is, on another thread,:LOL: George'sDad mentioned his wife does most of training, and he helps finish and complete the training and keep dog in practice. so it'd be fun if we helped George'sDad teach a trick all by himself, since he obviously enjoys training his dogs!!! :D

GEORGE'SDAD

That would be fun!!! I'm sure since he does it on his own, that it would be really easy to associate a command with the action...I am not too experienced with trick training, but my father and i used to train hounds for hunting, so I'm pretty sure i can translate it!