Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge?

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm inclined to go for "Do as I do" next as some people might get involved from that thread.

As groundwork for "do as I do" we each need a minimum of 3 tricks that we know our dogs will perform on voice cue only, we need to know for sure that we are not giving body cues. I had some fun with this today trying to get Zac to obey a few simple cues while I was standing perfectly still facing away from him (you don't need to do this it was just the way I chose to make sure I wasn't giving unconscious cues). We did sit, stand, down, sit pretty, spin and turn. Oddly Zac does "turn" better when I have my back to him but won't "spin", when I face him he will spin but not turn :confused:

I meant to say that we don't all need the same 3 tricks just they need to be simple and easy to mime.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I'm inclined to go for "Do as I do" next as some people might get involved from that thread.

As groundwork for "do as I do" we each need a minimum of 3 tricks that we know our dogs will perform on voice cue only, we need to know for sure that we are not giving body cues. I had some fun with this today trying to get Zac to obey a few simple cues while I was standing perfectly still facing away from him (you don't need to do this it was just the way I chose to make sure I wasn't giving unconscious cues). We did sit, stand, down, sit pretty, spin and turn. Oddly Zac does "turn" better when I have my back to him but won't "spin", when I face him he will spin but not turn :confused:
I agree, do as I do sounds like a good idea for the next challenge.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

Sounds good! Really interested you noticed that about Zac's turn and spin too, let us know if you figure out why this seems to be happening!

myraellen

My friend thought that we could write about this in this thread:
In another thread southerngirl had suggested that my friend could choose a trick for herself she would teach to Lotta. Then we could make videos of it and southerngirl would tell if my friend could do something in a different way. At the same time southerngirl would try to teach the same trick to her dog/s so that my friend could see how southerngirl does it. However, my friend is bad at figuring out what to teach to Lotta. Maybe you others could suggest her something? Here are some tricks/behaviors my friend already knows and she already knows how to teach them:

Spin
Bow
Roll over
Shake
Take/drop

My friend means that it could be something that isn't in that list. So, do you know what could it be?

Note: we cannot make videos everytime we meet (me and my friend) and my friend doesn't know how to make them by herself.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Okay if we are going to do this I need you to TRY any suggestions that someone gives you whether you think it will work or not and I want to see you applying the suggestion in the video.
Example: I say that you are taking to long to click. Than I would like to see you click faster.

Let's teach take/drop. I will use both my dogs for this and I will ask some others to join.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Could we do a new trick challenge? Chloe and I currently don't have any trials coming up, and we can't practice agility or herding during the winter (unfortunately the super nice indoor agility facility that we usually train at during the winter got hit by a tornado, and probably won't be rebuilt for a while), so we need something to do. :) And I am starting to run out of ideas for tricks that I want to teach.

running_dog

Honored Member
Could we do a new trick challenge? Chloe and I currently don't have any trials coming up, and we can't practice agility or herding during the winter (unfortunately the super nice indoor agility facility that we usually train at during the winter got hit by a tornado, and probably won't be rebuilt for a while), so we need something to do. :) And I am starting to run out of ideas for tricks that I want to teach.
Done.. may be slightly different than you were expecting but hopefully it's a kind of different that you'll like :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Help! We're still trying to catch up on our tricks. Blossom, unintentionally of course, has thrown a dirty big spanner in our training program LOL. So we're all over the place! Still trying to get the wide circle trick videod!

Trying to train two dogs of different ages and abilities in the one household, especially when they're so attached to each other, is quite a challenge.:rolleyes: But no complaints, it's fun and they have fun too!:)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Help! We're still trying to catch up on our tricks. Blossom, unintentionally of course, has thrown a dirty big spanner in our training program LOL. So we're all over the place! Still trying to get the wide circle trick videod!

Trying to train two dogs of different ages and abilities in the one household, especially when they're so attached to each other, is quite a challenge.:rolleyes: But no complaints, it's fun and they have fun too!:)
Take your time catching up, R_Dog said in the other thread that she's not even working on the new challenge because she isn't finished with wide circles either. I'm not finished either, but unfortunately its difficult to do with a foot of snow on the ground.

running_dog

Honored Member

I'm going to let that freestyle challenge run for a while so don't worry.

Having two dog that are attached to each other is great for teaching dogs to work around distractions! Used to drive me insane with Zac and Gus, now I really see (and use) it's potential.

MaryK

Honored Member
Take your time catching up, R_Dog said in the other thread that she's not even working on the new challenge because she isn't finished with wide circles either. I'm not finished either, but unfortunately its difficult to do with a foot of snow on the ground.
Thanks Kassidy:) Can well imagine trying to work outside with a foot of snow (lucky you though I do so miss snow). We've got to do the wide circles on the beach, not enough room here Leaf keeps 'crashing' into the trees. Beaches are so crowded at present and partner's decided he prefers night time to day time to take us all down there!:rolleyes: Blossom can swim really well though - but Leaf's still staying dry!:eek:

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm going to let that freestyle challenge run for a while so don't worry.

Having two dog that are attached to each other is great for teaching dogs to work around distractions! Used to drive me insane with Zac and Gus, now I really see (and use) it's potential.
Thank you RD. LOL I did hope (they say it springs eternal) that Leaf would pass on her grand work ethic to Blossom, at present though seems Ms. B (who's now going through early teenager stage) doesn't have quite such a good work ethic and does her best to upset all training, while poor Leaf tries so hard to be a good girl. Yes it is good for working around distraction, LOL especially when one is very determined to play and not train:oops::rolleyes:

One day, hopefully like right now, Blossom will 'get it' because when she does they really will be a 'dream duo' because they're so in tune with each other.

On the beach, off leash, they're really amazing together, just 'formal' training goes somewhat awry!:rolleyes:

running_dog

Honored Member
Thank you RD. LOL I did hope (they say it springs eternal) that Leaf would pass on her grand work ethic to Blossom, at present though seems Ms. B (who's now going through early teenager stage) doesn't have quite such a good work ethic and does her best to upset all training, while poor Leaf tries so hard to be a good girl. Yes it is good for working around distraction, LOL especially when one is very determined to play and not train:oops::rolleyes:
I didn't say it was easy! That's why it is so useful... and so frustrating :LOL:

running_dog

Honored Member
If you are up for a challenge all being well I'll be posting a competition style challenge on Saturday, I still have to work out the details but it'll run for about a week so if you want to get the most out of the training time you'll need to check in on Saturday :cool: