Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge?

running_dog

Honored Member
I've had a look at what we all want to train so far and this is what I'm suggesting for the next few challenges - if they wouldn't work for you or you've already trained both options please say so and I'll have a re-think.

• Limp OR back leg limp
  • Shame/hide your eyes - one paw OR two paws
  • Crawl OR a three trick chain/combination using crawl
  • Shell game - for treats OR for scented object (we could also vary it by having the dogs mark with nose touch or paw)
  • 2 or 3 feet on skateboard OR skateboard control (Kassidy, could you get a skateboard in the next month or so?)
  • 3 tricks on a pedestal (chair if you like :)) at least one trick being a vertical kind of trick (eg sit pretty) cued from below the dog's level - this is about proofing and is a foundation for work on backstall and footstall.
Do you think 2 weeks works or should we have 3 weeks for some tricks and if so which ones?

Ripleygirl I'm sorry it's worked out that you have the fewest tricks from your wish list represented, is there plenty here for you to work on and enjoy?

running_dog

Honored Member
The other thing I haven't really thought about is do we want to judge the submissions to the trick challenges and if so how? I just like to have the motivation to train but I guess other people might prefer a competitive element. What do you all think?

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I've had a look at what we all want to train so far and this is what I'm suggesting for the next few challenges - if they wouldn't work for you or you've already trained both options please say so and I'll have a re-think.

• Limp OR back leg limp
  • Shell game - for treats OR for scented object (we could also vary it by having the dogs mark with nose touch or paw)
  • 2 or 3 feet on skateboard OR skateboard control (Kassidy, could you get a skateboard in the next month or so?)
  • 3 tricks on a pedestal (chair if you like :)) at least one trick being a vertical kind of trick (eg sit pretty) cued from below the dog's level - this is about proofing and is a foundation for work on backstall and footstall.
Do you think 2 weeks works or should we have 3 weeks for some tricks and if so which ones?

Ripleygirl I'm sorry it's worked out that you have the fewest tricks from your wish list represented, is there plenty here for you to work on and enjoy?
I am happy with the list above, don't have a skateboard at the moment though! I think 3 weeks may be better with some of the tricks but am happy to see what everyone else thinks. I don't mind that there is not much from my wishlist, just enjoyable to have the motivation to trick train with correspondence and help from others on here! (y)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
The other thing I haven't really thought about is do we want to judge the submissions to the trick challenges and if so how? I just like to have the motivation to train but I guess other people might prefer a competitive element. What do you all think?
I am happy just to do the challenges as motivation to learn new tricks rather than competitively too.

kassidybc

Experienced Member

• Limp OR back leg limp

We haven't done any of those tricks, so anything on that list works great! We worked on limp for a while, and never got anywhere with it, but we would love to try again. I think I would be able to get a skateboard in the next month if we decided to do skateboarding as the challenge.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I think just the motivation is fine, I don't really need competition, but maybe we could count points or something. When you complete a trick challenge by the deadline, then you could get a point (or multiple points depending on the trick)? I don't know, I'm just trying to think of ways we could make it competitive without it being too competitive.

running_dog

Honored Member
Skateboard is the 5th? trick on the list so even at just 2 weeks a challenge it would be a couple of months down the line. If we go to 3 weeks for some of them it could be even longer.

I like the idea of a points system but I'm not sure how we could make it work... if we all think about it maybe we'll figure something out.

And to everyone else who's participating... if you feel you'd prefer to have a winner each time do speak up, we want the challenges to work for everyone.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Skateboard is the 5th? trick on the list so even at just 2 weeks a challenge it would be a couple of months down the line. If we go to 3 weeks for some of them it could be even longer.

I like the idea of a points system but I'm not sure how we could make it work... if we all think about it maybe we'll figure something out.

And to everyone else who's participating... if you feel you'd prefer to have a winner each time do speak up, we want the challenges to work for everyone.
I should be able to get a skateboard by then. I think I'm babysitting tonight to help save up some money for a skateboard. :)

running_dog

Honored Member
When do you want me to post the next challenge? I'm going to set it with a 3 week time training period so we can see how that works. I've got the how to train videos lined up for this one but do you want a little longer on the stand tall back to back challenge or would you rather keep the trick training pressure on... :)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I would like a little bit more time on the first challenge but am happy to go with whatever everyone else wants to do. I am having big issues uploading my vids as posted in the challenge thread too! I have tried to make the deadline but can't seem to upload (new to this video malarky, sorry!:whistle:)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
When do you want me to post the next challenge? I'm going to set it with a 3 week time training period so we can see how that works. I've got the how to train videos lined up for this one but do you want a little longer on the stand tall back to back challenge or would you rather keep the trick training pressure on... :)
I think maybe a few more days, like wait until Friday or something. But, it doesn't matter a whole lot to me, what ever everyone else thinks.

running_dog

Honored Member
I would like a little bit more time on the first challenge but am happy to go with whatever everyone else wants to do. I am having big issues uploading my vids as posted in the challenge thread too! I have tried to make the deadline but can't seem to upload (new to this video malarky, sorry!:whistle:)

This challenge was bound to throw up video upload problems for those of us who haven't uploaded for a while, don't worry about it. I could do with some more time to work with Zac on this one but I don't want to hold the rest of you super trainers back :cool:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
This challenge was bound to throw up video upload problems for those of us who haven't uploaded for a while, don't worry about it. I could do with some more time to work with Zac on this one but I don't want to hold the rest of you super trainers back :cool:
I don't think you are holding any of us back, I am if anything! We are all in for the challenge! Thank you for your help!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member

• Limp OR back leg limp
Any of these tricks sound good. River can already do some tricks on a pedestal, although I haven't tried it bellow my dogs level. 2 or 3 weeks is fine. I think the limp may need at least 3 weeks and River will also need lots of time for the skateboard and the shame. He finds these tricks challenging. We are ready for the next trick challenge at anytime. Thanks again for the challenges!

MissyBC

Experienced Member

• Limp OR back leg limp
Missy and I haven't worked on any of these tricks yet except for "crawl" when she was a bit younger (under 18 months -- and she's now almost 3 and a half - where did the time go??) but I never got it perfected. All these tricks sound great to me! I'll keep working on "stand tall back to back", videotape and upload it when I get a chance.

3 weeks sounds good to me -- it'll give us more time to perfect the tricks. Also, maybe you could remind us half way through when time is running short? Something like for example, "Limp Trick challenge time is running out! One more week to go for this trick!" -- on the thread or something. Just a suggestion! :)

Thanks for all the challenges and the motivation! (y)

running_dog

Honored Member
I'd like to thank all of you for getting involved and where possible submitting videos, You've all been amazing and I've loved all of your videos and comments.

I keep trying to get people interested in trick training in my local area - I even give people clickers to try out or sometimes I train their dogs simple tricks while we're chatting on the street corner, but no one can be bothered. So it is really nice to feel that we challenge participants are all training together and I'm getting to see something of how you all train and what your dogs are like and how they learn, I'm learning so much even from one challenge so far, Thank you all so much.

As most people seem to want a little longer on this trick (and it was a short deadline) all being well I'll post the next Trick Challenge on Friday and we'll see how it goes over 3 weeks.

running_dog

Honored Member
Just an idea... What about sometime in the future a challenge along the lines of "pick 30 seconds of any top class canine freestyle routine and try to replicate it with your dog?"

If you already compete in freestyle it might be rather tame but otherwise modelling a good freestyle routine would maybe help to start thinking about how to make the tricks we teach add up to something. We would each have the freedom to pick a section of a routine that suited our individual dog and tricks, obviously it wouldn't suit perfectly but it could give us some useful experiences, it would certainly take me well out of my comfort zone LOL.

What do you all think?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Just an idea... What about sometime in the future a challenge along the lines of "pick 30 seconds of any top class canine freestyle routine and try to replicate it with your dog?"

If you already compete in freestyle it might be rather tame but otherwise modelling a good freestyle routine would maybe help to start thinking about how to make the tricks we teach add up to something. We would each have the freedom to pick a section of a routine that suited our individual dog and tricks, obviously it wouldn't suit perfectly but it could give us some useful experiences, it would certainly take me well out of my comfort zone LOL.

What do you all think?
That sounds like a great idea!