Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Oh, another idea, I am really interested in teaching Chloe to read. I wanted to before, but forgot about it and when Jean Cote posted on his website about reading it reminded me of it. When I say read I mean like have flash cards with tricks on them and you show the dog the card and they do that trick.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Oh, another idea, I am really interested in teaching Chloe to read. I wanted to before, but forgot about it and when Jean Cote posted on his website about reading it reminded me of it. When I say read I mean like have flash cards with tricks on them and you show the dog the card and they do that trick.
That is a good idea and it could be any trick really so it would be good for any dog, unless they can't see well of course.
I would also like to do more with free shaping which could be a separate challenge to free shape..... or I could just add that in to some of the challenges we do.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Am I too late to join in too? My only problem with some tricks at the moment is I have a sprained ankle so can't do much that includes me having to move much standing for the next couple of weeks (also means that my partner is on all walking duties so want to spend extra time doing trick training with Ripley as I am not getting our walk bonding at the mo). Will this be a problem?

Ripley's wish list includes:
Backstall then Footstall
Backwards Crawl
Balance a book on my head
Cop Cop
Figure of Eight

running_dog

Honored Member
An idea for a second tier for skateboarding- skateboarding on their two back legs.

I like the idea and that would be a very impressive trick but I'm afraid it's probably only really suited for small dogs that have a really low centre of gravity when standing tall. When you start training skateboard you'll see that this could risk terrible strain and injury for most dogs. I think I've got something that would be more inclusive so all of us can have a go with it.

running_dog

Honored Member
I would also consider if they do it naturally at times. I know lots of poodles will offer it. River tends to not want to stay on his back paws for long even when he has his front legs on a wall or furniture.

You are so right poodles think tall all the time! And even smaller sighthounds will sometimes stand tall to see over long grass. I think it is partly because a skinny built dog just has that much less weight to lift. I've posted the stand tall trick with the alternative of sit up and beg, hoping River will be more comfortable with that. I've found Beg and Stand tall have similar proofing complications so I'm hoping it is a fair alternative.

running_dog

Honored Member
Love the idea of that trick, I meant to train it too and then forgot. It's great you reminded me! That should make a great challenge.

running_dog

Honored Member
Am I too late to join in too? My only problem with some tricks at the moment is I have a sprained ankle so can't do much that includes me having to move much standing for the next couple of weeks (also means that my partner is on all walking duties so want to spend extra time doing trick training with Ripley as I am not getting our walk bonding at the mo). Will this be a problem?
Of course it is not too late, the more of us the better. I've posted the stand tall back to back challenge with the alternative of sit up and beg, you could do that sitting so hopefully you can join in.

running_dog

Honored Member
I would also like to do more with free shaping which could be a separate challenge to free shape..... or I could just add that in to some of the challenges we do.

I'd like to do some shaping with Gus - in particular I'd like to shape Cross paws, I did that with Zac and he got it when he hadn't understood any other way. But I never videoed any of it which was a pity! It would be fun to set a free shaping challenge of some kind.

running_dog

Honored Member
Now I'll have to go and find batteries for my camera... It is horrible all this talking about tricks and not being able to start training them until the relevant challenge is posted... LOL

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Have a look at:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/forum/threads/trick-challenge-stand-tall-back-to-back.6952/
It is the first challenge, Runningdog is the one posting it and who has set up the challenge.

I am not going great with it so far but hopefully will get there! :oops:
It's ok, we aren't doing great either haha! Chloe just wants to turn to face me so bad! I've been doing it next to a wall so she can use the wall for support, then she will stand with her back to me, but if we try to move away from the wall she turns to face me. But we are working on it!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
It's ok, we aren't doing great either haha! Chloe just wants to turn to face me so bad! I've been doing it next to a wall so she can use the wall for support, then she will stand with her back to me, but if we try to move away from the wall she turns to face me. But we are working on it!
Know the feeling Kassidy! Ripley does NOT like doing it facing away from me! Let me know if you get a breakthrough!

running_dog

Honored Member
May I join in the challenge with Missy? Pretty please? I need some motivation to get trick training with her again. :)

I'll write up her trick wish list later!

Please do join in! The more the merrier :).

The point of this thread is to get an idea of the tricks people might want to train so as many of us as possible can join in.