Which Harness For Tracking?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
So, as some of you may know I've been trying to get into blood trailing and shed hunting with one of my dogs. I'm having a heck of a time finding a harness that suits my needs and my pocketbook. I would like to find one in blaze orange, so my dog won't have to wear a vest and her harness every time I take her out to train or practice.

Not all of these are actual "tracking harnesses" but I think they would work fine.....?
Any suggestions, comments, warnings? Other harnesses to look at?
Julius K9 Harness--two "PowerHarnesses" listed on web, not sure what the difference is. Available in orange and it's reflective, that's a plus.
BlackDog Y-Front Tracking Harness--not available in orange but I like the BlackDog products.
Scott Roading Harness--doesn't seem as well made, and not necessarily for tracking but it seems like it would be great for it the way it's designed. Not padded, but I suppose that would be relatively easy to fix.
Patrol & Pulling Harness--this claims to be good for patrol, service, tracking, and carting. Much higher than the others but looks better made...but it seems like it rides higher in the neck... Available in orange!

Also, I hadn't ever really thought of it before, but do I need to get a skid plate? She will be hunting in thick brush mostly.
Am I just being too picky? Lol.

Bosun

My vote would be for the Scott Roading Harness. I like that it clips to a lead further back on the dog's body, leaving the working end more "free".and the lead less likely to tangle in the brush.

I'm assuming the dog will be working in front of you, not beside you. I get very frustrated with the leash around the twigs game.

sara

Staff member
I'm biased... I like the Black Dog stuff :p Nice and light, and their tracking lead is awesome! so soft and lightweight, with a very handy knot in the end, that comes out if you find it's getting snagged.

He's making a special y-front for Mouse that has no metal, so she'll be joining the club of Black Dog stuff wearing dogs!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. :)
I too liked that the Scott Roading harness clipped much further back.
I like the Julius harness because there's not much to it, but it's well made, available in orange, and reflective. But not padded on the front...
I like that the BlackDog harness is y-front, and I know the BlackDog stuff is made well because I have one. My only issue with it is that it's not available in orange. I'd rather not have to have her wear both vest and harness every time I want to work on any tracking. Plus, she will be learning in warmer weather and often actually be tracking in warmer weather. I don't want to put too much on her and have her overheat, as that's a very real danger here...

Can't somebody just combine them all? Y-front, with the main part of the harness similar to the Julius, with the attachment of the Scott? LOL, I think I am too picky...:ROFLMAO:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
On that note I just had an idea....
With the Scott being so basic, wouldn't it be relatively easy to convert it to a y-front? That way she would have a little more padding, and something to protect her chest from the brush...chest plate+tracking harness in one..... Or is it better that there is less on the underside because there is less to catch on brush?

I have never made any aspect of dog training as confusing as this is to me. :confused: Lol. If I ever got into search and rescue, my dog and I would be sniffing circles. :ROFLMAO:

Bosun

Any tack shop or good seamstress could make you one! You may have to source colors and what not, but they could fabricate it for you.

Then you could have the best of all options!(y)

Bosun

What about Dog Seatbelt Harnesses? They have the padding and D-Rings for leach attachments....

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I have a few family members that happen to be great seamstresses. ^^
Interesting on the patterns, when I was browsing I had a few DIY ideas....hmm...
I have some thinking to do. ;)
The seatbelt harnesses typically don't attach as far back as the roading harnesses though...

charmedwolf

Staff member
If you have a Bass Pro Shop around, you could check out their dog area. They usually have a harness or two that work really good. And if you don't have one any hunting shop/ Tractor supply usually has a pack of orange reflector that you could put on the harness.

Also just found this: http://leerburg.com/1365.htm
It costs a pretty penny but it looks like it could last a very long time.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ouch that is a pretty penny. :confused: The patrol/tracking/SAR one is too though...
I don't have a Bass Pro; we have a Gander Mountain and an Academy, no luck at Gander but haven't checked Academy. The last Cabela's I went to had an excellent dog section, might have to check their website.

Hmm...I think my favorite of all of them is the Padded Tufflex Roading Harness. It's available in orange, the lead can attach way in the back, it's padded, and not super expensive. But, I want to see if I can somehow merge it with a skid plate like this. This would distribute the pressure of her pulling more evenly across her chest, and protect her chest and belly from brush and anything else that might hurt her. Might also have to add more padding to the chest area. And reflectors. It'd be nice to have a tracking harness and skid plate all in one, if I can make it work.

Thanks for all the help everyone! :) Feel free to tell me if you think this isn't going to work or one of the others might work better.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I hadn't seen that first page, thanks so much!
I did see the Dokken stuff, I bought the Dokken shed training book and I'm going to buy the rack wash. I thought it was a waste at first, but then realized it's probably a good idea being that I bought sheds off of Ebay, and no telling what smells they have.

No harness yet, because I'm waiting on a dog. LOL.

Because of Z's issues with Gypsy, I'm trying to find a home for her. Coincidentally, my bf is needing to find a home for his dog, Dixie. I am sooooo attached to her, and she would be good for shed hunting, so once I find a home for Gypsy then Dixie can come home. So I'm waiting to get a harness until I can get Dixie. Lol. :rolleyes:
But I think I've decided on the Padded Tufflex Roading Harness, and then I'm going to see if I can somehow attach the skidplate to it.
I have sheds now, so I'm just waiting on the dog! :)