What To Do For Diarrhea?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELLLLLLLLLLL, Dogster, i am not entirely certain that punkin is always the right move, do re-read my last post on punkin a bit more carefully.

Maybe someone else who DOES know more than i do about this, can come by and re-assure you that punkin IS the right thing for most types of diarrhea in dogs,
but, Dogster, i am not 100% certain, that this is true. (???)

I do know punkin is GREAT for constipation. Maybe punkin is good for some types of dog diarrhea, and maybe not for all types, i just don't know enough about it to say for sure.

Tx says that Peptobismol is okay, too, and there are other tips in other posts as well.

I can vouch, that giving my dog PEDIALYTE, a clear liquid found in baby supply areas of drug stores or grocery stores, DID HELP my dog perk back up. :D Be certain to NOT confuse Pedialyte, with Pediasure,<---- which is NOT the same thing. Give PediaLYTE. I actually bought the generic form of it. It is an electrolyte supplement to help replace lost nutrients for the human baby, but it can be used on dogs, too.

I had to freeze the Pedialyte to get my dog to eat it:rolleyes: ,
or
add water from a tuna can to a bowl of Pedialyte to get Buddy to drink it. I used liquid drained from a can of "tuna packed in water" NOT "tuna packed in oil", as dogs with diarrhea should not be eating, nor be given fats.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
from now on,
i will keep a bottle of Pedialyte around the house for in case my dog gets diarrhea.

and i already do have a bag in the freezer of tablespoons of plain punkin.

Dogster

Honored Member
Thank you Tigerlily!!!! My post was kind of off, because shivon usually gets sick on weekends (lucky for me:rolleyes:) and there is always pumpkin in the pantry, whoops, should have written that first.:oops: last time Shivon got diarrhea, we used pedialyte.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Thanks for link and info, Sara, i didn't want to misguide Dogster on that punkin, and let her end up with a dog as sick as i stupidly let MY dog get...in case punkin makes some kinds of diarrhea worse for some dogs, i just don't know. I know it is great for constipated dogs, though.

My dog's diarrhea stopped when i stopped feeding him solid foods as you told me to, Sara, and i gave the tablespoon of punkin after his diarrhea had already stopped, so, it's hard to say, if punkin helped my dog or not, really. I'm not sure.
THANK YOU SO MUCH Sara, for helping my dog, without you jumping in and telling me to stop feeding solid food, i shiver to think how much sicker Buddy might have gotten over the weekend.........

but the Pediasure really did perk him up, from looking half-dead cuz poor Buddy had a stupid owner who didn't know any better than to keep feeding him as if nothing was wrong, and it helped get Buddy back to a more life-like dog. He also shed like crazy that day, just like crazy, just that one day.:eek: He must have been reeeeally sick.

He is back to normal stools again, and no longer shedding his fur like crazy, so i am hoping it is NOT Giardia, and i am taking a stool to the vet, it is bagged up in the garage, ready to go in the morning. I don't know how long it takes to get a result back.

but i thought since our friends dog did have Giardia, we better check Buddy.
...just to be sure. just to be sure....

sara

Staff member
We'va always used Pedialyte for any puppy who is dehydrated (usually due to bad diarrhea. It doesn't solve diarrhea (I dont think), it just gives them those extra electrolytes needed to keep hydrated. I've tried Pumpkin for diarrhea (it is supposed to help) but I've never had any success. Slippery elm and fasting for 24 hours, then potato or rice (potato works best according to my vet, and it worked like a charm when Scout got a bad tummy upset when she moved to Ontario) , then mixing potato or rice for the third day, has always worked best for my dogs and fosters.

Amateur

Experienced Member
Havent read thru all the posts yet but we always stop feeding for at least a day, then slowly re-introduce food. Access to water at all times. Sometimes I'll start back with a little white bread or something like that. and more small feedings for the next few days. If that doesnt set them right you may have more problems than just an upset stomach

Dogster

Honored Member
Now I know where to get Slippery Elm!!!! Thanks Sara!!!!!:LOL: There's a Global Pet Foods close to where I live.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//but the Pediasure really did perk him up,//

duh, i can not believe i wrote that, right after i warned to not confuse pedialyte with peidasure, i do just that...:ROFLMAO:

i meant pediaLYTE, not pediasure. i meant to say, "the pediaLYTE really perked up my sick dog..."

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lols, the danger there in my other post is,
i think giving a dog pediaSURE by accident, might make the diarrhea WORSE and FAST...i could be wrong, but i think it would be lousy idea.
It is important that anyone looking for replenishment fluids for a dog with diarrhea
keep the two liquids straight in their minds.

PediaLYTE----really helped perk up my dog:D PediaLYTE is see-through liquid.

pediaSURE--probably NOT a good idea for a sick:sick: stomach.--is usually opaque, often resembles milk.

Dogster

Honored Member
Tigerlily, I don't think most people will see your mistake. it's great that you pointed it out though, to avoid more suffering for the dogs.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i hope you are right, Dogster, i'd hate for anyone to just glance at the thread, and read, "oh wow, look, pediaSURE really helped her dog! i'll get some"
and bam, dog gets WORSE:( ........

facepalm. hope it does not happen.:(

Dogster

Honored Member
I DO hope thay read the REST of the thread. Though by the looks of it, it is gettin pretty long.... LOL!!!!!:ROFLMAO: