[Video] Ellie Obedience Tests

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Another mixed-bag video. I decided I would video some of the Sue Ailsby's requirements to see how Ellie is doing with them.

Contains: Recall, Crating, Sit, Down, Handling, Door Manners, Blow-dryer proofing, and more that I've forgotten.

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DLSTOAYf6GI[/media]
It all looks rather dull, but the Ailsby tests are strict about the number of cues you are able to give to the dog (though not everything featured here is an Ailsby requirement), and so you'll see that Ellie is not her usual peppy self. I think she sees silence in training as meaning she's done something wrong.

She's turning into a very well-rounded dog, though I do still wish she was a little less timid. But, I do think she's getting better, slowly but surely.

You can see the full list of Level 2 Requirements.

l_l_a

Nice video Collie Man! Ellie is doing really well! I especially get a kick out of seeing her opening her crate door and going inside!

We do the door manners routine everyday too when going out and coming back from walks. He will eagerly bounce up to the door (whether going out or coming back) and when I clear my throat (my cue for him to sit and wait) he will look at me and whine and complain, and then plonk his butt down quietly and wait. If he's really tired after the outing then there's no crying or complaining first. Otherwise, usually the sitting is preceeded by the complaining like it's such an outrage that he is expected to sit before the door will open for him!

hockey390

Nice video CollieMan! She sure is a well rounded pup, you've done a great job with her. It was really nice to see her remain calm and in her sit/stay position when the train went by. There is some testing to her "timidness" I know that large, fast moving, LOUD objects such as a train will probably spook more dogs then not. Not to mention she never considered moving! Good work.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
We do the door manners routine everyday too when going out and coming back from walks.
Yeah, Ellie doesn't know any different to that routine. It's been that way since her very first walk, and we've never deviated from it. I started it primarily because of the shape of the hallway leading to the door. The last thing we need there is a bouncing dog. (She's already knocked that telephone table over before today.)

She sure is a well rounded pup, you've done a great job with her. It was really nice to see her remain calm and in her sit/stay position when the train went by.
Yeah, in terms of training, that train going by was a bit of a bonus. For a dog that hasn't even reached nine months of age yet, I really have very little to complain about. Except....

If only she would get a different look to "they beat me, they beat me". She's never even heard an angry word in her life to date, and yet, to me, she looks like the most victimised dog in the world.

leema

CollieMan;5182 said:
If only she would get a different look to "they beat me, they beat me". She's never even heard an angry word in her life to date, and yet, to me, she looks like the most victimised dog in the world.
:msnohyes::msnohyes::msnohyes:
I think it comes with border collies! Somewhat. Working at boarding kennels, I get to see a lot of personalities and breed traits... I find BCs to be very 'submissive'.

The only criticism I have with your video is that Ellie 'feet shuffles' sometimes on her sit stays. If that's okay by you, that's fine. I don't allow that with Clover,but Mac does feet shuffle... And I think that makes his stays not-so-good.

What competition plans do you have for Ellie? I can gather not doggy dancing. ;)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I think it comes with border collies! Somewhat. Working at boarding kennels, I get to see a lot of personalities and breed traits... I find BCs to be very 'submissive'.
That's very interesting. I know a few locally, and they all seem to be happy go-lucky type dogs. We knew that Ellie was the litter runt and so, really, we can't complain about it. I know they (BCs) are generally considered to being prone to submission issues (particularly the bitches), but I only see it in Ellie. (Maybe that's a psychological thing?) But you made me feel slightly better. :)

The only criticism I have with your video is that Ellie 'feet shuffles' sometimes on her sit stays. If that's okay by you, that's fine. I don't allow that with Clover,but Mac does feet shuffle... And I think that makes his stays not-so-good.
No, you're absolutely right, she does, and it's a bad thing. However, at this point of her training, its okay. Until she's about eighteen months, my primary focus is on general obedience that will make her good enough to take into as many different situations as possible, and for her to be confident enough to maintain basic obedience in those situations.

What competition plans do you have for Ellie? I can gather not doggy dancing. ;)
lol, Don't light that fuse. It's hot!

The original intention was C/O, however, it remains to be seen whether she will have the personality and zest for it. My gut-feeling at the moment is that she won't, but as you will know, anything can change yet. If that's the case then we'll move her into a pursuit that she's more at-home with, whatever that turns out to be. (It's looking like agility, as she enjoys that when she gets the opportunity.)

The problem, if it is a problem, is that I don't really have much interest in agility. (I'm a C/O man through and through I'm afraid.) Given that scenario, we would get a second dog, probably a GSD, and ensure it was from a quality bloodline, and I would pursue C/O with that dog. Jan would pursue agility with Ellie.

In either scenario, there are no plans to enter Ellie into competitions until she shows us that she's ready. (I'm looking, informally, at around two and a half to three years of age.)

l_l_a

CollieMan;5182 said:
Y
how about increasing the value of the reinforcers to get her more upbeat and enthusiastic?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
l_l_a;5189 said:
how about increasing the value of the reinforcers to get her more upbeat and enthusiastic?
For Ellie, there is no higher than being throw something for her to catch. That's her cocaine. She had that after each of the exercises shown in the video. The moment she gets her release command "break", then she's perky and great. It's just that she doesn't much care for slow obedience exercises. It's not THAT unusual, but her natural timid looks make it all the more heart-breaking to see. Maybe she knows that? :)

leema

Perhaps it's because I see border collies is a 'strange' environment they seem more worrysome? I can tell you that many of them worry me with some very shady behaviour. ;) Many of them I have found to be 'miserable' unless they're chasing water or chasing other dogs or chasing balls.

Okay - is CO competitive obedience?
How about dog disc? Do they have that in the UK?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
leema;5191 said:
Okay - is CO competitive obedience?
Sorry, yes it is.

How about dog disc? Do they have that in the UK?
She would love that too. (Possibly even more than agility.) Though I've no idea how prolific it is here in the UK to be honest with you. More to the point, I've no idea of the rules either. I bet it's more rigid than I think. I shall look into it.

leema

You could do a dog disc freestyle routine! :D

Check out Pam Martin and Spy!
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=s413fl4dGUU[/media]
Warning: Some dancing!!

nereis

Very impressive. I've always thought there's a difference between a dog who knows a lot of tricks, and a well rounded dog. There are a few dogs at training who are fabulous at all the exercises but absolute menaces the rest of the time. No manners at all. People seem to train sit but forget basic manners, it's nice to see a dog who so clearly has them.

I have the same issue with my border collie. He's been with us since he was 8 weeks and has never had any bad experiences with people, and yet he is getting so skittish around them. He's ridiculously submissive, and this is something I'm trying to work on.

She looks a little like my Jess girl.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
nereis;5244 said:
He's ridiculously submissive, and this is something I'm trying to work on.
I do feel for you. It's tough going isn't it. And I don't know about you, but I always think people look at her and think she's ill-treated, and look at me and think I'm the one ill-treating her, or over-working her, or....

Doesn't help you, but it's comforting to know we're not alone.

morgancherilyn

Go Ellie!! She did a great job, even if she was sending S.O.S. signals to the camera while your back was turned! Did ya notice though that the one getting all the exercise in the video was you? Mayhap you should next teach her "OK Ellie please walk 20 feet away and sit stay while I stand here and watch..."

CollieMan

Experienced Member
morgancherilyn;5256 said:
Go Ellie!! She did a great job, even if she was sending S.O.S. signals to the camera while your back was turned! Did ya notice though that the one getting all the exercise in the video was you? Mayhap you should next teach her "OK Ellie please walk 20 feet away and sit stay while I stand here and watch..."
hehe I have noticed that my breakfast has had to get more energising as time has gone on. I started with just porridge, for slow release energy from the oats. Then I started adding honey, and now it's Porridge, Honey, and Banana!

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
I loved watching that video Collie man - I realise I expect too much of my coming up five months pup.

I work through exercises on everything you train in the video too but he is not quick like Ellie. He takes his time at everything - seems to need a lot of thinking time. We need more practise on distance and distractions. He's also just starting to go a bit deaf on me - that hedonistic time of pups doing your every command seems to be just about to go out of the window.

He's also getting a bit confused. Having taught him 'Bang' he's now presenting it at every opportunity where he is laying down ready to respond to 'Crawl' or 'Roll Over'

Wish our UK weather would just warm up a bit in the early mornings - my hands freeze and I can never get the treats out quick enough to do any training on our morning walks!

Sue

CollieMan

Experienced Member
jasperaliceuk;5269 said:
I loved watching that video Collie man - I realise I expect too much of my coming up five months pup.
Thanks for the kind words. Five months is a young age, but remember, Ellie is still only eight. You just have to work at the dog's pace, whatever that might be.

I work through exercises on everything you train in the video too but he is not quick like Ellie. He takes his time at everything - seems to need a lot of thinking time.
I am very lucky that Ellie is a very quick learner, but her drawback is her naturally timid nature. This brings its own challenges.

We need more practise on distance and distractions. He's also just starting to go a bit deaf on me - that hedonistic time of pups doing your every command seems to be just about to go out of the window.
Just keep ploughing on, keep it fun, and it'll all come good in the long-term. More importantly, spend as much time as you can with the dog. It pays dividends.

Wish our UK weather would just warm up a bit in the early mornings - my hands freeze and I can never get the treats out quick enough to do any training on our morning walks!
I hear you there! It was actually painful on my hands this morning as I was trying to feed Ellie while doing heelwork. I've also got a bad case of chilblains on my legs. Bring on that Spring and Summer weather!

It's a shame you don't live a little closer. We could go out training on the local field.

heidib860

Simply amazing Collie Man.

Ellie is so cute. I love the crate part. I aspire to that. I've gotten little Max so when he goes into the crate he'll sit and not fight to get out, it's just getting him to the crate that we're working on right now.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
heidib860;5530 said:
Simply amazing Collie Man.

Ellie is so cute. I love the crate part. I aspire to that. I've gotten little Max so when he goes into the crate he'll sit and not fight to get out, it's just getting him to the crate that we're working on right now.
Thanks for the kind comments.

I remember, all too well, the bribery that goes into getting the dog to walk into the crate on their own doing. I used to just sit in front of the crate tossing bits of food into it, so that she got used to going in and out, in and out, in......

Even now, to this day, if I put her into the crate for a length of time, I give her a large food reward once she's in there. That way, she looks forward to going in, as she knows it's time for a huge treat. I needed to place her in it this morning, while I went to get my hair cut. She got a large piece of beef in there to chew on while I was away. I'm sure she doesn't need such enticement now, but it makes me feel better too. :)