[Video] Ellie Obedience Tests

luna may

Kesem responds wonderfully to commands- most of the time. But the little percent of inobedience in her almost always runs free when she sneaks out of the front door- or if she sees a cat. Then the little switch in her head flips from 'Innocent Pet Mode' to 'Ecstasic Hunter Mode', which means runnung hysterically at the kitty, who of course won't just sit there and wait to be caught, so she naturally sprints after it ,and my words could be in chineese for all she cares, and so I call her desperatley while looking out for the cars just waiting for an oportunity to turn her into mashed potatoes, while Kesem keeps on speeding around the street after the hissing, spitting and incredibly terrified blurr like a cheetah who drank cofee. :dogwacko:
I'm not sure what to do about it, because she responds OK at home and in the yard, and I obviously can't train her outside with the cars... And I also don't have the heart to teach her strict, you-must-obey commands. She makes the most pitifull expresion, and I feel so sorry for her for trying to force her to do things, that I can't steel my self to just do it.
Any suggestions?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Can you not train her on a long-leash? That would give you the best of both worlds - control for you, and relative freedom for the dog. Whichever way you approach it, as you know, the only real way forward is gentle exposure to the cause of the problem.

And I also don't have the heart to teach her strict, you-must-obey commands. She makes the most pitifull expresion, and I feel so sorry for her for trying to force her to do things, that I can't steel my self to just do it.
Ah well, that's a whole different matter. :)

I think that strict teaching can be fun. When I put Ellie into a sit/stay, and I walk away and she gets up, I don't make her feel bad, I simply say "Ah-ah, wrong one", and do it again. It's strict in that I want the behaviour, but the approach can still be light-hearted and fun, depending on the dog. (Some dogs just get too excited and so it's best to be more sedate with them.)

Whenever Ellie puts her ears back, I remind myself that my actions today might well save her life tomorrow. I don't know many dogs that really enjoy obedience training. It's is, by nature, quite boring, and, for young dogs, quite scary. Hey, you're walking away, you're going to leave me, and so forth. You have to work through that in order to build the dog's confidence and resistance.

leema

I've always let my dogs come out into the front yard with me (no fence) when I first get them. As puppies they're clingy and want to be with me so there is no problems with them running off. As adults, they are still responsive to me when they go out the front to get the paper or mail... Hell, I even send Mac by himself to go get the paper. :D

Do you have a gate or anything? A roller door? I would do training next to the gate, and then casually open it briefly during exercises. Once this is fool proof, then walking through the gate, do some things close to the gate, etc. So you gradually work your way to the big wide world from the place that you were before 'safe'.

l_l_a

luna may;5534 said:
Kesem responds wonderfully to commands- most of the time. But the little percent of inobedience in her almost always runs free when she sneaks out of the front door- or if she sees a cat. Then the little switch in her head flips from 'Innocent Pet Mode' to 'Ecstasic Hunter Mode',
Heheh, this means you have a very normal dog!!

I'm not sure what to do about it, because she responds OK at home and in the yard, and I obviously can't train her outside with the cars...
You can do two things at the same time: (a) management - adopting daily practices that prevent her from having the opportunity to run out the door, e.g. making a habit of putting her behind a baby gate before opening the door or having her on leash before opening the door, or making a little gated area outside the door. (b) Training the dog to not dash out the door, to sit and wait until permission to go through the doorway. I think this is harder to do :)

As for her obeying perfectly in the house but not once she sees something exciting to chase - again very normal, especially for dogs with high prey drive. the only way for her training to transfer to that new frustrating situation, is to gradually simulate that type of distraction during training sessions. So she gets used to obeying you around distractions when you are in control of the outcome, i.e. when you can prevent her from running out the door should she fail a command. I would recommend practicing her recall around toys that she likes to chase. Start with a toy she's not that interested in, or a ball that is moving slowly, and practicing recalling her from that. Then when she will do that consistently from practice, then make it more tempting by using a more interesting toy or having the toy move faster. Eventually you can work up to having the dog running full speed after a toy and then immediately turning around on a dime when you call.

And I also don't have the heart to teach her strict, you-must-obey commands. She makes the most pitifull expresion, and I feel so sorry for her for trying to force her to do things, that I can't steel my self to just do it.
Any suggestions?
hehe, talk about pitiful. When we arrive at the dog park my big nut wants to dash in, he's over the top excited. But our rule is, he must sit and wait until I release him. Oh, the indignation!! How cruel that he must sit and wait for a full 10 seconds before being allowed to go into the dog park and play! I tell him to sit, and he whines, cries, yips, howls....and then he plonks his butt down into a sit-stay. I open the gate but tell him to wait. Again he looks up at me, quivering with anticipation and yipping loudly nonstop, but still holding his stay....finally I give him the release word and he bursts into the dog park. if you didn't see him and just heard his vocalizations you would think he was being abused and forced to work in a sweat shop!

so here I have the same philosophy as Collie Man. It is possible to be strict about obedience (as in, always insisting that commands are obeyed promptly as long as they are fair commands) without being harsh or forceful. Collie Man says Ellie looks timid and has a "they beat me" expression - my dog is simply a cry-baby and drama queen "oh how DARE they make me sit and wait before playtime!! The indignation! The outrage! But oh well here goes...."

szecsuani

Experienced Member
It's a great video!
You did a great work with Ellie!

And I can't get enough of her ears!!!!!:msngiggle:

And what about that german shepherd you wanted to adopt?

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Ellie

I loved watching that video. It was not boring in the least! I also checked out your website. I am also using blogspot for a puppy journal for Jackal. When he is older it will turn into a training journal. When I have time later I am going to read every word of it. The part I have already seen looks very informative and I look forward to reading it.

Jackal's page - http://rascallyjack.blogspot.com/