Trick Challenge: Stand Tall Back To Back

MaryK

Honored Member
Well this is how far Zac and I have got to in the 12 days.

Sorry the video is so long, I could have cropped the last section more but it shows quite clearly where we are at so I left it unedited, Hopefully I'll post again when he has this trick sorted :).

He needs to get a bit more comfortable with the body cue and start to link going through-sit-stand tall. Maybe then he'll realise he needs to go a bit further through. As for me maybe my "Stop" is a bit negative, I'll have to work on that. Zac is quite difficult to interrupt once he gets an idea in his head but there must be a better way. Also I used "through" which confused him at one point.
Great work!:D(y) Thanks for showing it 'warts and all' - there's hope for "Leaping Leaf" yet - though Zac keeps all four paws on the ground when he's supposed too - unlike Leaping Leaf!

MaryK

Honored Member
I have never uploaded video before and my computer is saying no! I can play my video but when I try to upload to youtube it says it is going to take 92 mins for a video that is about 2 mins long! I tried to upload on facebook and it tell me my videos are above the limit. Has anyone any idea what I can do? I don't seem to be able to make the files smaller on my camera prior to uploading. HELP!
I made the same mistake first time, just sat and waited and waited.................:rolleyes: You'll need to put your video into an editing program, windows has one and for basics it's not too bad. Then compress your video ready to upload. Facebook does have a very small limit, even a compressed video won't always go straight up.

MaryK

Honored Member
We're very late, mainly due to my broken toe. It's amazing we have 10 toes but the ONLY one dogs land on is the broken one:rolleyes::eek: Doesn't help with training when I'm hopping around going EEEKKK!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay, we're off to train some more, thanks everyone for showing how you did it, helps so much.:D

running_dog

Honored Member
Great work!:D(y) Thanks for showing it 'warts and all' - there's hope for "Leaping Leaf" yet - though Zac keeps all four paws on the ground when he's supposed too - unlike Leaping Leaf!

LOL every dog has it's own challenges. At least Leaf is enthusiastic, Zac either thinks he knows everything and can't be persuaded otherwise or he shuts down because he can't cope with not knowing everything.

running_dog

Honored Member
We're very late, mainly due to my broken toe. It's amazing we have 10 toes but the ONLY one dogs land on is the broken one:rolleyes::eek: Doesn't help with training when I'm hopping around going EEEKKK!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay, we're off to train some more, thanks everyone for showing how you did it, helps so much.:D

I hope your toe is healing despite the dogs standing on it. It'll be great to know how you get on with this challenge but maybe the next one will be a bit easier on your toe!

running_dog

Honored Member
I worked on increasing the value of sitting back to back and today for the first time Zac went through and straight into a stand tall (well he bobbed up and went back down). So proud of him. We'll do some more proofing and hopefully then I'll be posting another video of the "finished" trick :cool:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I worked on increasing the value of sitting back to back and today for the first time Zac went through and straight into a stand tall (well he bobbed up and went back down). So proud of him. We'll do some more proofing and hopefully then I'll be posting another video of the "finished" trick :cool:
Looking forward to that too!

MaryK

Honored Member
I hope your toe is healing despite the dogs standing on it. It'll be great to know how you get on with this challenge but maybe the next one will be a bit easier on your toe!
Toes healing well and LOL I'm getting very adroit at getting out the way of Leaping Leafy:D

We've got the sit pretty back to back, provided I sit her ask for stay and keep a finger on her head while I move into position. Then she does a very pretty sit pretty back to back. My biggest problem is, of course, getting her to stay while I move into position. Have tried the back to front through, peek a boo, but she just turns immediately to face me. Also tried, as per River's video, getting her to 'turn' but LOL she does a full turn/spin which kinda defeats the purpose.

With her 'standing tall' - not sure if I will make it with that as yet because being such a young dog I have only just started on working with that trick - she didn't show any natural inclination, as Ra Kismet did, to do it of her own accord. As you know, don't won't to push young muscles etc. too far too soon.

So fingers crossed, albeit somewhat out of time and partner obliging with a video, I may be able to get a 'back to back sit pretty' up this week end. No promises on the 'stand tall' though, gotta build up the little ones muscle memory on that. Yep I'm on very protective Doggy Mommy:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
Toes healing well and LOL I'm getting very adroit at getting out the way of Leaping Leafy:D

We've got the sit pretty back to back, provided I sit her ask for stay and keep a finger on her head while I move into position. Then she does a very pretty sit pretty back to back. My biggest problem is, of course, getting her to stay while I move into position. Have tried the back to front through, peek a boo, but she just turns immediately to face me. Also tried, as per River's video, getting her to 'turn' but LOL she does a full turn/spin which kinda defeats the purpose.

With her 'standing tall' - not sure if I will make it with that as yet because being such a young dog I have only just started on working with that trick - she didn't show any natural inclination, as Ra Kismet did, to do it of her own accord. As you know, don't won't to push young muscles etc. too far too soon.

So fingers crossed, albeit somewhat out of time and partner obliging with a video, I may be able to get a 'back to back sit pretty' up this week end. No promises on the 'stand tall' though, gotta build up the little ones muscle memory on that. Yep I'm on very protective Doggy Mommy:D
You're not alone with the leaping. When Piper gets over excited she starts leaping instead of standing. I just ignored her until she got the point that she got that she wasn't getting rewarded for it. And she also immediately turned to face me when doing peek a boo so I just put her in a sit stay for know.

MaryK

Honored Member
You're not alone with the leaping. When Piper gets over excited she starts leaping instead of standing. I just ignored her until she got the point that she got that she wasn't getting rewarded for it. And she also immediately turned to face me when doing peek a boo so I just put her in a sit stay for know.
Thank you Danielle, so glad to know I'm not alone with the leaping problem.:D I'll try just ignoring her, as saying anything does seem to cause her to leap more:rolleyes: She clonked me so hard under the chin the other day I have a bruise now LOL oh the joys of dog training:D:eek:
I'll keep to just the stay too for now. Thanks for the help.(y)

running_dog

Honored Member
That sounds great, we had two options so people could train what they felt was best for their dog. Late doesn't matter - really I think the deadline is about motivation not exclusion :).

MaryK

Honored Member
That sounds great, we had two options so people could train what they felt was best for their dog. Late doesn't matter - really I think the deadline is about motivation not exclusion :).
Thank you.:) Everything crossed he said 'today' (Monday my time) as he 'forgot" yesterday, wondering about his memory losses:rolleyes:

Leaf's working on her 'stand tall' though not back to back, so she may show you stand tall and may not, LOL depends on her mood!!!!!!!!!

Sit pretty back to back is coming on really well though, just getting her into position sometimes takes a little more work.

running_dog

Honored Member
Today I asked Zac for back to back, he walked right through turned round and came back into peekaboo with me thinking despairingly, "Not that AGAIN" :(. But without pausing he came right through and immediately went into a stand tall in front of me! :)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I started working on this with Brody, even though I didn't sign up for the challenge. ( I really wish I could do a video, but the one camera I have has such poor lighting you wouldn't be able to see anything) He does the peekaboo thing as well, where he goes through then turns around (I never taught him this, we did figure 8's and weaves, though), but I just ask for a sit quickly as he is on his way. He does it about 75%. I have been reinforcing him for sitting in that position, treat from the right and left sides to try to keep him somewhat centered. Then the same with sit pretty, and finally a stand tall. With the stand tall, he does a twist in anticipation of the treats and puts his paws up on my shoulder. Any tips on how to keep him straight? I am not luring at this point, but we still use a hand signal, so I am also twisting a bit.