Trick Challenge: Show Us Your "good Side" Trick ---super Easy!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
this will be super funny trick for MY dog,
as he DOES have scars on one side of his face!!!
(from his gangsta days...)
so that will be too funny!

I taped the bag a lil bit higher up on the bar stool,
to more closely imitate the way Jesse moved HIS head, sort of looking to the side AND up just a bit.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SO GLAD YOU ARE IN!!:D if you DO have a video cam, post some vids, too!! It's more fun if a few of us all do same trick in same week, imo.
:D

Well, Buddy has had 2 quickie lessons now, he loves it. Very enthusiastic, almost knocked stool over this morning, "I like this one! i like this one! Yeah, let's play THIS game!" :D
and just about knocked the stool over,
also offered pawing the stool,
as well as nosing the bag whle placing a paw on one of the rungs on the stool,
which i accidentally clicked. (i click TOO FAST! darn me!)
and then he threw in some "cross paws" for good measure, rofl!!:ROFLMAO:

THEN he calmed down,:) and did some good poses for me after all that.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, Fly, that'd be so fun!!!

YOU MEAN shake Fly's head "no"? or, say WORD "no"?
(see clip below):ROFLMAO:

lol, Fly, i think if you try to teach "shake head no"
AND
"good side"

all at same time,

you'll probably confuse the heck outa your dog!:ROFLMAO:

here's the almost only video i have of my dog:
is outdated, old old video now, taken on a cell phone, lol,

NOW the question is too too outdated, gotta replace it,
but AT THE TIME, :ROFLMAO:it was great,

http://youtu.be/vbrBOXFTqlI

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'll try teaching this to Missy. :) Sounds like fun! It'll probably be pretty tricky for her though as when I use post it notes to teach her anything she tries eating them off the walls or off the floor...

I'll give it a try though and see how it goes!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SO GLAD WE ARE ALL DOING SAME TRICK ALL TOGETHER! YAY!! that makes it more fun!:D

Lol, Buddy INSTANTLY understood, "touch nose to this here bag, is what she wants."
and i did get him to stop adding "paw on the chair, too":ROFLMAO: thing. I did accidentally click for that a few times, sigh...i am TOO FAST on the click sometimes,
and he has added in some 'extra' unwanted move as i click...if i'd wait just a second, i could have noticed, he is adding in a "paw on the chair, too"
and i would not have clicked that attempt.
BUT
i did get that mistake of mine fixed.:rolleyes:
but, NOW i am having a spot of trouble, moving the chair (which has bag attached to it) a bit further away. Buddy is standing up to go over to it, to touch his nose to the bag:ROFLMAO:.....sigh.
i will try again today, didn't do much with this trick yesterday.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Karlee, and Missy,
i so so understand that one! --the dog getting too excited, chewing up the target thing! ha ha! oh i know just what you are talking about!
Buddy used to do same thing!
sometimes, i do some other tricks first,
not START with "good side",
so he gets a bit more settled to do "good side".
i bet,
one could also use a TARGET STICK to teach this, might be good way for "target-chewers"!!??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AWESOME!
Just last night, i got Buddy to finally understand,
he does not need to TOUCH the bag with his nose,
merely turn his head.
He was so visibly proud when he sorted that out in his mind!:D
I think today, i will be able to remove the bag altogether, not sure.

Fly, i am totally stunned you were able to teach BOTH the "good side" and "no"head shake,
all at same time! :eek:wow!
i just can't believe you did that!!!

HUUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE GOING ON FOR YOU AND FLY OVER HERE!!

fly, off topic, but, since you COULD teach both head-turning tricks at once,
i wonder if YOU teach both "smile" AND "lick lips"?
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/lick-lips-trick-so-easy.4108/
if you can, write back and LIE TO ME, so i don't feel so bad about myself, ha ha!
:ROFLMAO:

fly30

Experienced Member
Thanks tigerlily :)

That's what is strange about dogs (and us). We sometimes come out with complicated tricks and sometimes we just can't get it. Fly is still struggling on the cross paw trick.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YES! cross-paws was very difficult for Buddy, too! I think it IS hard trick for many dogs to get hang of, seems like.
Buddy felt totally annoyed once we began work on OTHER leg, just honked him off :cautious:that his first foot was no longer getting rewarded....ha.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
okay, i faded the target item out,
after taping it on all various pieces of furniture.
but lol,
now Buddy only does his "good side" if he is next to furniture where the target item USED TO BE.
in the middle of the room, i get a blank look.:rolleyes:
back over by furniture, YES! :Dhe can show me his good side!
back in middle of room, clueless.:ROFLMAO:
and so on.
i guess
i am going to have to slowly move him, a foot or so at a time, to middle of room!
too funny!:ROFLMAO:
NOW I WISH I HAD USED A TARGET STICK :rolleyes:instead of baggie for his target.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I've been trying to shape Missy's turn of her head... so it doesn't matter if I use a treat bag or not... it's slow but eventually I'm hoping she'll catch on! :)

fly30

Experienced Member
To my point of view, as each person and each dog is different, it doesn't really matter how you get your dog to understand you. The most important thing is that he understands, whatever the way.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
okay, today, Buddy was able to show me his good side, even if he was not standing next to furniture! YAY!
we had to slowly move away from furniture,
and repeat trick.
another step away from furniture (where his 'target' had used to be taped when we were training)
and repeat.
another step away from furniture,
repeat.
YAY! HE 'GETS IT' that he does NOT have to stand next to furniture to show his good side!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
He was able to show his "good side" in THE MIDDLE of every room of the house, tomorrow, we test it outdoors.
:)
Lol, but, so far, (as usual) when Buddy gets his new cue from my guy,
Buddy draws a blank:confused:
(for some reason, this ALWAYS happens, Buddy can do trick for me, but, when i try to hand the trick over to my guy, Buddy acts as if he can not understand the cue,:confused: takes Buddy a lil while to be able to apply a new trick to someone besides me).
maybe tomorrow, Buddy will be able to show my guy his good side! rofl. I also want to be able to fade out the hand signal, but so far, Buddy needs the hand signal too.