Trick Challenge: Crawl

MaryK

Honored Member
Maybe try the crawl under something.
I did try that originally but Leaf was so scared I stopped. Not sure if it's a natural fear, she's never been a dog to scrabble under the sofa to retrieve a treat (she leaves that to Zeus) even though she's very food orientated, or if it's something from her past abusive environment start to life.

However, as she now doesn't seem to be scared of anything I'll try again. As it does look a bit funny to see a crawl with her butt way up in the air.

MaryK

Honored Member
We're working on a chain:)

Would like to ask what/when do you all treat when working on a chain, especially one which does involve fairly new tricks like limp? Do you reward after each aspect of the chain or at the end?

With Leaf with tricks she knows really well I reward at the end but am finding with this new chain comprising recently learned tricks she's looking for a reward after each individual trick. She may do say two tricks, then it's 'hey Mom where's my reward"? and there's no peace until she gets her reward - yes she's spoiled a bit too:D:rolleyes:

I've found with Leaf that I do have to use treats for a while after she's learned a trick, takes a while to fade out treats with her, but once she's really, really familiar with a trick - like weave tricks - she will work without constant rewards.

Would like to get to working with 'clean hands' as this is needed for Canine Freestyle, so any tips would really be appreciated. She is VERY food orientated but also likes praise as a reward, however she does tend to get a little over excited when praised - Leaping Leafy at her finest:D:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
The Pressure is on...LOL!
LOL no pressure just sleepless nights working out the best combination, how to train Leaf to do it for me etc.etc.:D
Plus lugging out a very old rug so she can do crawl - grass is out her allergies and cement well a gals tum doesn't like rubbing on cement!

But hey it's fun!!!!!!!:D Keeps us on our toes and Leaf absolutely LOVES learning new tricks!

farwyn

Alright I did some research on my dogs behaviours and figures out how to do phase 1 and 2 . For phase one I'll be using my bed . It's an aluminium chained bed which means it's really light and I'll be able to lift it with easy . Anyway since I've already tried that I gradually reduced the height of the bed untill she would be forced to crawl to pass beneath it and then increase the height gradually once again . Also before I started with the bed which is a very low altitude object I tried luring her to pass under a chair several times . The whole process took me around 20 mins including the bed ( I'll be doing a recording tom) . Now for the backward crawl since I really don't know how the hell I'll lure her backwards UNDER the bed I've decided to use the traditional method featured in the videos , besides I accidentally noticed that this works out fairly well for her while doing my research :p . That's all for now - Off to bed :D

running_dog

Honored Member
We're working on a chain:)

Would like to ask what/when do you all treat when working on a chain, especially one which does involve fairly new tricks like limp? Do you reward after each aspect of the chain or at the end?
I haven't worked on a lot of chains but at first I treat after each trick then I skip one of the treats but jackpot at the end. Then I intermittently skip the first two and just jackpot at the end.

MaryK

Honored Member
I haven't worked on a lot of chains but at first I treat after each trick then I skip one of the treats but jackpot at the end. Then I intermittently skip the first two and just jackpot at the end.
Thank you Running Dog:D Leaf's still at the 'need a treat after each trick" stage, otherwise she goes 'on strike':eek: . I'll try skipping one trick before treating, see if Madam will accept that!O_o

MaryK

Honored Member
We'll be in with the chain!:) Our chains never get really good, but we're training.
Great and we're still at the 'training stage' with chains. Leaf will do easy chains but I've set her a bit of a long one this time, so we may be a bit bumpy with it. It's all about having fun and stretching ourselves and our dogs, not total perfection:D Looking forward to seeing your video.:D

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I am so chuffed to bits with my Leia, she has achieved the challenge (y)
Now the biggest challenge is how to get it on video ( I am going to attempt this tonight ) ;).
Congratulations! I look forward to watching your vid. I think we will take the full two weeks to get it solid, but Brody's doing well, and I have been able to get a beginning and middle video recorded. Will aim to do the end on Thursday and edit and post on Saturday.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
DSCF8410.JPG

River hasn't started yet.... He had a dental a week ago. Not a huge deal except he could not stop licking his little shaved spots on his legs. 2, because apparently he has challenging veins. Now he has to wear a cone because they were getting irritated and anything I put on them he wouldn't leave alone. I think we might end up doing a chain without the crawl.

running_dog

Honored Member
River hasn't started yet.... He had a dental a week ago. Not a huge deal except he could not stop licking his little shaved spots on his legs. 2, because apparently he has challenging veins. Now he has to wear a cone because they were getting irritated and anything I put on them he wouldn't leave alone. I think we might end up doing a chain without the crawl.
Poor River, I hope he is soon back to normal. He manages to look very cute even when he's feeling uncomfortable.