Treibball ?

tugidq64

Experienced Member
I am currently training my dog in Treibball. I am having a hard time getting her into position. Any ideas on how I could make it clearer to her the position she is supposed to be in?
Thanks
Debby and Belle:)

fly30

Experienced Member
Treibball is a game with a "herd" of big balls and the dog is supposed to gather them and push them to a certain place. Some people say it's a herding alternative but I think it's a game (must be quite funny though).

tugidq64, what position do you want her dog to be ?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Treibball is a game with a "herd" of big balls and the dog is supposed to gather them and push them to a certain place. Some people say it's a herding alternative but I think it's a game (must be quite funny though).

tugidq64, what position do you want her dog to be ?
Ah I see! We learn something every day. ;) It sounds like a pretty cool game tho, I think my Border Collie would love it!

Hillary

I second Fly30, What position do you want her to be in?

In the class I took, we taught the dogs that standing directly across from us on the other side of the ball was the awesomest, coolest, superest place to be with lots of food rewards tossed in the spot we wanted them to be. Once they understood that the treats were always going to that particular spot the handler would move a few steps and start tossing the treats directly across from them again. The dogs picked up pretty quickly that the treats were always getting tossed straight in front of the handler.

That helped play as foundation for when we started teaching the dogs to push the ball towards us.

Or are you talking around directional cues? You can start those by just using a pole, or a cone, or whatever really, and teaching your dog to go around it. Gradually increase the distance between you and the object so your dog has to go out farther and farther to go around it. Switch up the object once the dog understands the concept so he/she can start generalizing that whatever your cue is means to go out and around whatever object you're pointing to. Use a different cue for the two directions and you're good to go.