Training Plan

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by abigail83, Mar 5, 2013.

1. abigail83 New Member

Hi i am a student studying advanced animal behaviour and training, i have to train an animal of my choice to do a complex behaviour, or a chain of easy behaviours making one big complex one. I have access to my brothers dogs both are Cairn terriers one is still a puppy at 7 months old the other is just over 2, both are male.
    I was wondering if any of the members on here would have some ideas they could throw my way and help me get underway with a training plan.
    I have 4-5 months to perfect the routine or behaviour.

Thanx Abbey

2. Linda A Experienced Member

How complex (or fancy) do you want to get? You could teach the dog to open crate door, go in, close door and then lay down.
  3. abigail83 New Member

another classmate has trained her dog to put away toys on command with each toy having a specific name, so something on that level
    jeanniecogan likes this.
  4. Maura Well-Known Member

What do you think would be useful? I think putting toys away is a pretty good trick. So is putting socks in a drawer.

I've seen videos of dogs who ride a skateboard, it involves putting the front paws and one rear paw on the skateboard and the other rear paw pushing off until there is enough speed to coast.

Removing decorations from a Christmas tree and putting them in a box.

Bringing a towel to the beach, unfolding it, then going back and getting an umbrella and putting it up, then laying on the towel. If you do a utube search you can find all kinds of cool stuff.
  5. Mutt Experienced Member

Like asked above, do you have something in mind yourself?
    Perhaps a video of a trick you would like to teach (youtube is your best friend ;))?

Some tips for your training plan:
    - cut the trick in pieces. For example the beach trick described by Mauro: bringing towel - unfolding towel - getting a umbrella - putting a umbrella up - lie down on a towel.
    These are 5 seperate tricks/behaviors. Train those first seperately and proof them before continuing.
    - I use backchaining for tricks which involve several actions. This means you start with the last trick of the sequence and work your way backwards. So with the beach trick: lie down - putting up a umbrella and than lie down on a towel - get the umbrella, put it up and than lie down on a towel and so on.
    - Walking with the dogs and doing other kinds of activities/tricks is something I would advise (but I think that one is a no brainer ;)).

I'd love to see how it goes (progress and the final result)!
    Dogster likes this.
  6. Mutt Experienced Member

I mean Maura ;)
  7. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

That sounds like lots of fun! Where are you going to school?
    Do you need to demonstrate it in person, or on video?
    Here is Jesse my favorite small dog on youtube (Jack Russell Terrier) for inspiration.
    You can also check out Kikopup

Young dogs are really easy to train with lots of positive reinforcement. Good Luck and Enjoy!
    Dogster likes this.
  8. blacknym Experienced Member

Very good advice here. I agree that YouTube is a great tool!

Cleaning up toys, fetching a name toy, stacking cups, a dance routine, a bit of agility are some suggestions. :)
  9. Dlilly Honored Member

And the more tricks you teach, the easier it will be when you start complex tricks. So don't skip out on teaching shake, roll over, high five, ect.
    southerngirl and Dogster like this.