Training: Move Around Me

tugidq64

Experienced Member
How do you teach moving backwards around me or a table etc.? Belle knows how to move backwards but I can't get her to swing her butt around backwards. I would appreciate any techniques.
Also I am having problems with her moving the ball with a push command. I have put a treat behind the ball so she moves it but when the treat is not there she only touchs it and doesn't know what to do.
Thank you. Debby and Belle

homer

Have you tried shaping the dog to touch his bum on a mobile target, and then to move the target around as needed?

I personally haven't tested this theory out, but I think that it should work. Although it would have to be a pretty big target for the dog to notice. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I would suggest some pivoting work---this is the only thing that has worked for me with backwards weaving and other such backwards tricks.

I'll find the vid I'm thinking of and add it. :)

Ah here it is.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsvNvK8T1z8[/media]

snooks

Experienced Member
I am currently working with bum targeting (giggle) using a big spatula and back paw targeting on a mat of different texture than the floor thinking one or both may help. Very good idea and I'll let you know if it works. It does seem like a good idea. great minds etc. :dogblush:

I've done a little pivot work with me turning and dogs maneuvering to keep themselves in front of me and facing me. I was going to add front paws on platform and back paws on platform like Vito is doing so nicely. I'm not quite to the point of them being good enough to mix it all together. I need to ask my handy brother to make me a wood platform and attach some carpet and/or buy the agility table I was cosidering. Our new Chute is a hit. Puppy has barreled through unafraid and loves it.

Wednesday I found out that I must have shoulder surgery AGAIN in less than 4 weeks. So I'm trying to cram every minute I can into active fun before I lose my arm again for 4-5 months. Any thoughts on one armed mostly still training after that will be used and appreciated. I figure we'll get that cross paw down yet during that time. We're taking a sabbatical on that hoping for sudden comprehension. Big dog will now flop and play dead when I ask her to cross. LOL. I killed her with it. :msngiggle:

Thanks for the ideas and video..nice. We're going for it.

snooks

Experienced Member
Tx_cowgirl. I watched that great vid link and saw this over in related vids..it also looks helpful and we are working on cop-cop. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xx_e4S-vHM&feature=channel[/media]

This week I got big dog to put both her paws on my feet for the first time and puppy one paw. Both are very GOOD at the between the legs walk wherever I go. This weekend I asked for Peek-a-boo (cue for btw leg walk) to show off for a friend and both dogs did it at once. It was like being astride a large quarter horse. Two dogs wide. I must get that on video...there are so many possibilities too so I've been rewarding that like mad. :doglaugh:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh no. >< Hmm. That's a tuffie. My suggestion to low-activity training is always targetting. Just get creative. Do you have alternate commands for nose target/paw target? Alternate paws targetting--including rear paws? I recall a video on here a looong time ago with chin targetting, now that was really cute. Hmm what else...do they know to go to a target? Or go around a target? Turn on/off lights? (Not sure what your physical capabilities will be, so eliminate any ideas that you wouldn't be able to do.) Retrieve your keys? Kleenex? Phone? Hmm...not sure what to tell you. o-0

Lol, silly Chizzy...I think I actually got bored with the cross paws. I seem to have forgotten about it and moved on to something else...we'll have to pick that back up. Mud seemed to like it, lol. My mistake. :dogblush: Shame on me.

The pivoting, if we finish mastering it, I think will be the one that does it for us. Mud seems to really catch onto it, and I could definitely use it for backwards tricks. The other stuff just wasn't clicking with her. Nice vid!

snooks

Experienced Member
I just captured a really cute spontaneous chin target. I've been working with them targeting my knee with a chin for pets. I walked around the corner and they were hungry and both had their chins on the couch where I sit.....AWWWW. So that's a good idea to expand on. They know get that item, some by name, and unknown by guiding them to it. But I haven't tried keys. Another goodie. I did do forks and spoons.

Good idea on the targets. I added some spot targets to my list of things to order on line before surgery. Some nice textured flat spots they could circle, step on, or pick up would be a great idea.

Also some baby cones for weaving etc. Thanks.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oooh...check out the Jay Sisler Home Vids Part 2---doing the laundry. Dumping the soap in I wouldn't go for for obvious reasons, but putting the laundry in is not only darn cute but really helpful! Lol. ^^

And Mojo putting dishes in the sink:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPtHXOV3NM[/media]

snooks

Experienced Member
I've got some video I keep meaning to put together of triple threat (Kimber) picking up her metal water bowl. She loves to launch said bowl off deck for attention--aka me to fetch it. So I hear a schwwwannnggg spannng as it shoots off the deck and impacts trees. Unf the first time she did it I ran out to see what happened and she thought ahhhh ha! a good way to get attention. the rest is history. I started making her go get it when it lands inside the fence I open the gate to downstairs which is good when it's really cold. I had been shaping her to pick it up, stack, and turn it over and she wanted more. :dogtongue2:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
tx_cowgirl;16742 said:
I would suggest some pivoting work---this is the only thing that has worked for me with backwards weaving and other such backwards tricks.

I'll find the vid I'm thinking of and add it. :)

Ah here it is.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsvNvK8T1z8[/media]
That is really nice trick!!! A definite for a future challenge! :D :D :D

dat123

Experienced Member
tugidq64;16734 said:
How do you teach moving backwards around me or a table etc.? Belle knows how to move backwards but I can't get her to swing her butt around backwards. I would appreciate any techniques.
Also I am having problems with her moving the ball with a push command. I have put a treat behind the ball so she moves it but when the treat is not there she only touchs it and doesn't know what to do.
Thank you. Debby and Belle
This is actually a very simple easy trick. My old dog learnt it in 10 mins ( no joke ) .

If you have a puppy pen that makes a complete circle.
Stand in dead centre of pen with dog at heel.
Using food hold an inch away from dogs nose, and very slowly pivot anti-clockwise, keeping food close to nose until he/she does a complete 360 deg circle.
Increase your speed with each circle, and eventually you stay still but keep pushing the back circle with your hands.

Give it a command word, always C & T and the dog will have it in no time.

snooks

Experienced Member
huh, now that is interesting...a new spin to to speak. :doglaugh: great ideas. thanks!!

dat123

Experienced Member
These photos might explain it better.
The puppy pen is a typical cheap one with 6 panels, each panel is approx 2 feet wide.
All the panels can be seperated to create different shapes and barriers to be used for a lot of different tricks.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post - this suites medium size dogs like border collies, a smaller pen ( or barrier ) needed for small dogs, and maybe larger for big dogs.

snooks

Experienced Member
Can I nominate Dat for the brilliant idea of the year...the pictures DID make it exactly clear. You're a genius and a huge help!!! I'm totally serious. I'm going to go search for appropriate awards... I had such a bad day and this erased it.

dat123

Experienced Member
snooks;16780 said:
Can I nominate Dat for the brilliant idea of the year...the pictures DID make it exactly clear. You're a genius and a huge help!!! I'm totally serious. I'm going to go search for appropriate awards... I had such a bad day and this erased it.
Now I'm totally embarrassed !!!!!!!!:msnblushing:

It was a spur-of-the-moment thought to take pics this morning. A big thanks to my wife for taking the photos , and of course the beautiful model " Arlie " , who btw will be 11 yo in a couple of months, she will do anything I ask her to do, she's such a sweetie.

I'm just happy I learn't how to embed photos into a post, for the first time. :dogcool:
Hey, I learn't a human trick. !!!! LOL

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL yay Dave! -click click- :dogwink:

Now I'm going to have to go buy a pen. Wonder how cheesy it is that I'm excited because of this...this could really help with our backwards tricks! ^^ Yay. Thanks a bunch Dave!!!!

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
Milo was similarly trained to do backward circles but I put myself in a corner of the kitchen units with two chairs facing outwards blocking so it formed a sort of circle. As he got more proficient I could move the chairs outwards slightly and then do away with them altogether.

Sue