Tips For Dogs That Chase Prey.

Dice Smith

I guess I should note that I do not like bunnies. I find them incredibly boooring and definitely not a pet I would own. (n) My mom loves them though!

Dice Smith

and after i've made that rabbitfur coat from all Buddy's bunny kills....

View attachment 1205

if you've never seen "The Silence of The Lambs" this won't make sense to you.:rolleyes:
Ahahahahahah!!!!!! :p :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :D I love this pic!!! Buddy looks great as Hannibal Lecter! Perhaps that should be his Halloween costume this year? :giggle: ROFLMAO!!! I'm always guaranteed a good giggle when I visit this site! Can't wait to watch The Silence Of The Bunnies. :ROFLMAO: Will it be premiering at an international film festival?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//":D) Luckily, no bunnies wander into our backyard"//

I think this is one of the biggest differences between my dog, and many other dogs, is,
our home IS set into the woods.
I am sure, if i lived in the city, i'd be shrugging, "Just tell the dog to not chase the bunnies":LOL: and wonder what is the big deal.

Nah, there is no blood, it's a clean kill, he snaps the bunnies neck,
and bunny is killed in seconds, he does not use his paws at all. NO blood on his mouth, either...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Can't wait to watch The Silence Of The Bunnies. :ROFLMAO:"//

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I can not brag that Buddy, the main character in the movie, is being entirely co-operative with his role:rolleyes: .....he continues to kill bunnies allllllllll the time, all the time. Buddy thinks this is HUGE fun, to kill bunnies...

if he has got a BABY bunny, he doesn't kill those ones,
and instead, brings them in the house through his doggie door.......and nuzzles them and licks them and stuff. WHAT A BIG SHOCK to find a baby bunny in my own house...
:eek:
However, Buddy has usually mangled up the baby bunny when he catches it, and the baby bunny still dies....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"You guys should see him with my guinea pigs. It's too cute!!! <3"//

what does he do?
how old was Kodi when he met the guinea pigs? Was it hard to get him calm near the guinea pigs?

i sort of think,
dogs who have NEVER killed prey,
are probably easier to get calm near prey animals...i could be wrong. I think i could get Buddy calm near bunnies, like i describe in reply #101, but i don't have regular access to bunnies to work on this..:oops: to make it rock-solid.

i also think, until i ever prevent all bunny killing,
i won't succeed in desensitizing Buddy to bunnies....:oops:

Dice Smith

//"You guys should see him with my guinea pigs. It's too cute!!! <3"//

what does he do?
how old was Kodi when he met the guinea pigs? Was it hard to get him calm near the guinea pigs?

i sort of think,
dogs who have NEVER killed prey,
are probably easier to get calm near prey animals...i could be wrong. I think i could get Buddy calm near bunnies, like i describe in reply #101, but i don't have regular access to bunnies to work on this..:oops: to make it rock-solid.

i also think, until i ever prevent all bunny killing,
i won't succeed in desensitizing Buddy to bunnies....:oops:
I got my guinea pigs last August when Kodi was four and right away he was great with them. :love: He just lays on the floor and lets them walk up to him and sniff them. They're intimadated by him because of his size so they usually hide but sometimes they go popcorning right by him and he just cocks his head at them inqusitively. O_o They walk right over my cat and push her around though lol. :ROFLMAO:
SANY9175.JPG

I do agree that dogs who have never killed prey are easier to get calm around prey animals. I think that since they've never gotten the enjoyment out of chasing and killing they don't know what they're missing out on. But then again my sisters lab has never killed any prey animals and she goes ballistic trying to get to them and hurt them, so idk. Kodi used to love chasing our cats when he was younger but he rarely does anymore and now I'm able to call him back most of the time.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SQUEAL! TOO CUTE!!

i just got back from Petsmart, where i got Buddy to lie down and smile at an entire row of bunnies and guinea pigs, and mice doing laps on a spinning wheel, etc, and Buddy even looked away at other things!! Just gazing around at stuff, real casual like!! :eek::eek::eek: WOW!
Then we practiced walking by the row of cages, in a calm, no-pulling way, which took a few tries til Buddy was able to do that, but he did it.

then cuz i am not entirely certain what i am doing,:ROFLMAO: i tend to just make stuff up as i go along,
but, i then ---since Buddy was doing so so well----------then i walked Buddy right up to the cage, at eye level, of the big fat juicy bunny in there,
said "let's go" and turned in other direction.
("let's go" is Buddy's well known cue, to follow me in new direction, but usually he can't do it for bunnies)
This time, no bark, no excitement, Buddy just acted like he was fine about it, and followed me away from the bunny.
HE GOT A BIG PARTY IN HIS MOUTH FOR THAT ONE!!

THIS is
BIG progress from last time Buddy saw the bunnies at Petsmart, and went into "frozen statue dog" pose:rolleyes: and could not be distracted, and ended up barking when he finally exploded. :rolleyes:

but i could not and would not trust Buddy to do what Kodi is doing in the picture above! nope! shiver...

Dice Smith

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you and Buddy!!! That is wonderful progress. It sounds like he's really starting to learn "No Eat Bunnies" lol. :ROFLMAO: Give Buddy a big hug for me and tell him I'm suuuper proud of him! :love:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: i know what you mean, dogster!
and when they are impressed, they say, "that sure is a smart dog"
as if my dog just invents up his own tricks, and trains his own self!.....rofl!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Poor Bunnies.:( I love rabbits, I grew up having them but after our last one my mom said no more cause she could tell I was having a hard time caring for 5animals.) @ Dice bunnies aren't what I would call boring they can learn tricks. Here is a bunny doing tricks. Some of them are major cuddle buddies.
Sorry for derailing tigerlily(back to dogs that chase prey:D)

Honored Member
Paris (cavalier) kills rats, mice and birds that the cat lets go in the house if I can't catch them before her.
I usually manage to get the birds before her (and the cats don't catch birds very often anyway). And it's good that she kills the rats and mice since we don't really want them running around the house ;)
If the rat gets behind the furniture we work together to get it. Paris sits at one end and I scare the rat out to her or move the furniture so she can get it.
I don't really want the rats and mice to die, but I don't want them in the house and they are a pest.

It will be interesting to see if Holly has any inclination to kill rodents since she actually has some (1/4) terrier in her. She doesn't chase the cats as much as she used to.

Dice Smith

Same here. People see Kodi's tricks or how he'll have a good reaction on walks and they're like, "What's the big deal?" :confused:
Umm its a HUGE deal!!! (y)
Some people just aren't dog crazy I guess. Hard to believe, I know. ;)