The Most Amazing, Impressive Trick Ever?

milesfullofsmiles

I'm really set on teaching Miles an amazingly adorable trick to show everyone at a family reunion. I was gonna do the cop-cop, but I couldn't wait so I showed people. :oops: Oops. So now I want to teach Miles a sorta difficult, cool trick by the middle of August! Any ideas on what trick I could do?

milesfullofsmiles

my mom loves Missy's "Bang" trick. Hug your leg, fetch a soda from a cabinet.
Miles actually already knows "bang". :D But him hugging my leg always seemed like a cute idea; not sure if he's capable of it, though. I reaaaallllyy wish I could teach him to get a drink from a cabinet but we don't have any kind of shelves he could get it from. It may be to heavy for him also since he's such a baby:p

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Of the tricks i have taught my dog,
i think his hardest tricks ever were;

---Loose leash walking------far and away, THAT took longer for *my* dog than any other:ROFLMAO: .
---Shake head no
and
---Cross paws (the kind of cross paws where dog alternately crosses one paw, then the other paw, back and forth, several times)

OH! and "stand" was oddly difficult to teach to *my* dog, of all things!!:ROFLMAO: That's right, plain old "stand" where dog just stands up.. no idea what i was doing wrong, but THAT "trick" took a surprisingly long time:eek: to teach to *my* dog!!:ROFLMAO::rolleyes::LOL:

Tricks ppl seem to be most impressed by
were
his card trick
his barking whenever someone asks him if he wants a beer
and his picking up his toys. (pick up toys is my dog's favorite trick)
and his heelwork (the doggie dancing style of heelwork, where he keeps his eyes up on me)
and get a beer from the fridge.

none of which were very hard to teach.

SD&B

Experienced Member
What I've been finding is that there is a difference between difficulty of a trick and impressiveness of a trick. Sometimes they don't match. For example, Sundog can hold a treat in her mouth without eating it until I tell her she can have it. That's a hard trick for a dog, but I don't think it plays well to a crowd.

Ideas:
Limp (hard to teach, but impressive)
Basketball
Pushing a shopping cart
Hike (again, a bit hard to teach, but brings lots of laughter. Especially if you can train Miles to do it on a family member's leg)
Praying is usually a winner. It has an "aww" appeal
Combining tricks, such as holding a silk flower while bowing or begging
Getting you a kleenex when you sneeze and then throwing away the tissue
If you have someone who addresses the crowd, could Miles deliver something to him? (The speaker would have to be in on it. Wouldn't want him ignoring poor Miles.)

sara

Staff member
Shy is a serious people pleaser! I always get AWWWEEEEE's when Scout does Shy. Pray is also adorable, as is the read a book trick I taught my dogs (especially the read one book, but lift hind leg like he's peeing on a brad pattisen book that I taught Oliver LOL) Beg is frigging adorable with our short legged dogs :) especially if you can get them to hold something in their Mouth or paws (like a rose, then you could call say: "Do you want to Tango?" lol Or you can make a sign for him to hold that says: "Welcome to the ____ family reunion!"

Ohhh decisions, decisions! I dont envy you! LOL

milesfullofsmiles

SD&B and Sara: Thanks for the great suggestions! I will definitely be considering them; I would have never thought of those! It would be soooo cute if Miles could hold a family reunion sign. :)

Honored Member
People seem to love it when Holly weaves around my legs as I walk (my Dad really loves to watch this trick, it is the only trick he has ever really commented on and sometimes just asks me to do it :) ).

It's really easy to teach. Just start with figure eights and when the dog is happy with that take a step forward and then more step etc.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH Sara is right, "shy" does indeed, elicit a wave of "Awww" and squeals when a dog does shy.:ROFLMAO: Once Buddy did "shy" for a roomful of people,
who all simultaneously squealed and coo'd about his adorable self acting "shy",
and Buddy found their response interesting,:eek:
and spent the rest of the evening offering his "shy" over
and over...
trying to get all the humans to make that noise again..:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Re having the dog hold a sign,
it's not that hard to train a dog to do a trick you have WRITTEN down on a cue card, either.
It's probably easier to only train two cue card tricks, and then, over time, train more. You would first use the known verbal cue, and have dog associate that known word,
with your cue card, and then,
fade out the verbal cue.

(sorry for duplication, i just recently posted this on some other thread)

The dog does not have to be trained to recognize the actual lettering (THAT'd be hard)
but,
the dog can easily be trained to do his known cues
to YOUR body positioning,
or the way you hold a cue card.

For example, you could train Miles to sit, when you hold the cue card with both of your hands on the top border of the cue card.:ROFLMAO::LOL::p IT NOW APPEARS YOUR DOG CAN "READ"!!!:ROFLMAO:

You could train Miles to rollover when you hold the cue card with one hand on each vertical border of the card that says "rollovr"

You could train Miles to bark to a cue card you hold with your eyebrows lifted UP.

You could train Miles to lie down when you hold a cue card with one hand on top border,
and one hand on bottom border.

My dog is very keen about which is my left hand,
and my right hand. He can easily tell them apart, and for *my* dog, that difference IS an entirely different cue to HIM..

Other body cues could include your feet spread apart, or one leg bent, your head tipped to one side, or even the finger positioning on the cards, like have one finger of each hand on front side of card, endless list really.
and do consider adding in HUMOR to trick,
for example, making the cue cards ask a question, to which dog is "answering" the question.

Like, for rollover, have cue card read, "Miles, what does ___(politician you don't like)__do?"
etc etc.
For lie down, "Miles, are you tired?" OR "Miles, what did the __(sports team)__do last week?"
The beg trick:LOL: lends itself very well to humor, as does a bark.:rolleyes: as does teaching a dog to lift his one back leg up as if he is going to pee.

Even if you don't use cue cards, you can train a dog to do a trick to an entire verbal question.
but, you train dog to do his trick to the LAST word of your question, otherwise, dog does trick TOO soon, before you've even finished asking him the question.
Probably over half of my dog's tricks are done to funny questions, and my dog sits there waiting, til he hears the one word --the last word---that he was trained to respond to.

Here is an OLD trick, which i have since swapped out the question. But back in 2008, this was current, but, this question is now out of date now. But here, you can see Buddy waiting for LAST word of the question.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I have trained Buddy to hold one paw over his forehead,
to the cue word "headache".
We can insert ANY question now, and include Buddy into any conversation,
like,
we can turn to Buddy and say, "Buddy, does Uncle Fred give you a headache?"
and Buddy holds his head.

or
"Buddy, does this ___(politician or sports team)__give you a headache?"
and Buddy holds his head.

or whatever your friend is telling you about,