Teaching Your Dog To Ride A Skateboard

Caiti

Experienced Member
I've seen videos of dogs riding skateboards and I really want to teach Wylie this trick. I think we are ready for this challenge.

Have any of you guys taught this trick? I plan to first teach Wylie to put two paws on the skateboard, then four paws. Once he is comfortable standing on the skateboard I will move it for him, to get him comfortable with the movement of the board. Then I will some how teach him to move the board himself, while he is on it.

Does this sound alright?

Caiti

Experienced Member
Thanks! That was really helpful!

Wylie was very comfortable with two paws on a board, so tonight we are working on all four paws. Then we will work on motion. :)

I'm really impressed with him. I expected him to be nervous but he's totally fine with it! I can only hope he is this cooperative when we start moving the board! :p

running_dog

Honored Member
Well done to you and Wylie. (y)

When you come to movement and if you use a clicker remember to click when the board is actually rolling not when it stops... :)

Caiti

Experienced Member
Thanks! :)

To get him used to the motion of the board, should I click and treat more that one time while the board is moving?

Basically, should I do this?:

Move board-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Stop board

Oh,and when teaching him to stand on the board, should I teach four legs on the board, or three?

running_dog

Honored Member
Clicking and treating several times while the board is moving sounds fine.

Propelling the board (2-3 paws on) is really a different trick to standing on the board (4 paws on) while it is moving. He needs to be confident with both.