Teaching Your Dog To Ride A Skateboard

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks' started by Caiti, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Caiti Experienced Member

I've seen videos of dogs riding skateboards and I really want to teach Wylie this trick. I think we are ready for this challenge.

Have any of you guys taught this trick? I plan to first teach Wylie to put two paws on the skateboard, then four paws. Once he is comfortable standing on the skateboard I will move it for him, to get him comfortable with the movement of the board. Then I will some how teach him to move the board himself, while he is on it.

Does this sound alright?

2. running_dog Honored Member

3. Caiti Experienced Member

Thanks! That was really helpful!

Wylie was very comfortable with two paws on a board, so tonight we are working on all four paws. Then we will work on motion. :)

I'm really impressed with him. I expected him to be nervous but he's totally fine with it! I can only hope he is this cooperative when we start moving the board! :p
  4. running_dog Honored Member

Well done to you and Wylie. (y)

When you come to movement and if you use a clicker remember to click when the board is actually rolling not when it stops... :)
  5. Caiti Experienced Member

Thanks! :)

To get him used to the motion of the board, should I click and treat more that one time while the board is moving?

Basically, should I do this?:

Move board-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Click and Treat-Wait a few seconds-Stop board

Oh,and when teaching him to stand on the board, should I teach four legs on the board, or three?
  6. running_dog Honored Member

Clicking and treating several times while the board is moving sounds fine.

Propelling the board (2-3 paws on) is really a different trick to standing on the board (4 paws on) while it is moving. He needs to be confident with both.