Teaching Stand

Anneke

Honored Member
So I have been teaching stand.
With a lure. "Pulling" the dog forward so she will stand. Problem: she moves forward too much.
Again with a lure, but now moving the treat towards her chest and a little down, so her backside pops up. Works ok, but we are still struggling to get a stand from a distance.

I was looking around on the web for another approach as I was getting frustrated and did not like the above two ways.
And stumbled upon Susan Garrett's video. Wauw, what a fun way to teach your dog how to stand!!
It won't let me put the video up here, so here is where you can find it.
http://www.facebook.com/SusanGarrettDogAgility?sk=app_102515556471926

I will have a go at this and see if I can get the perfect stand;)

mewzard

Experienced Member
Cool!! - Going to do that with Oka tomorrow! I love Susan Garretts stuff but always cringe at her prices! I was just poking around her site again and had a "duh!!" moment at myself - i didn't get all the tugging stuff...i thought it was all reward - just snooping through old posts and realised it's an excitement/drive builder....that explains soooo much :giggle:

Anneke

Honored Member
Yes I know... the prices.... I was fortunate to follow a course online last year, by accident. The recallers program. And wow it works!!! I have never had a dog with a good recall, but with Jinx I have been working hard on it and ok not brilliant, but that's because of me, not her.
And yes she does a lot with drive. I didn't get it eather at first, but, now I do.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Great, i can't wait to watch rest of video on how to teach a distance stand.
I do need to learn some more distance cues for my dog. we have only a few.:notworthy:
I so agree, "stand" is such a great and useful cue for many reasons. Even grooming and all types of things, to get into position for a trick, etc.
I was surprised how hard 'stand' was for Buddy to really 'get'.
Learning to "stand" took Buddy an entire week, maybe more.
then a second week to be able to stand to only the verbal cue, (with no hand signal at all),
then a few more days, to realize, yes, he can stand, if even if i am sitting down. (my dog acts like he doesn't understand new cues --------if i am sitting down,:p
and each and every trick, we always have to add a few more lessons,
if i want my dog to be able to follow the cue when *i* am not standing up, lol, for real, that is true. Buddy wants ME to stand up for all cues, ha ha!!:ROFLMAO:)
I've only seen part one of the video so far, I myself use "bang!" for cleaning paws, all four feet up in the air for a good cleaning! ha ha. is great lil cue, that "bang" ha ha.
can't wait to see how to do a distance stand!! ...on to part 2. THANKS FOR SHARING!

mewzard

Experienced Member
So i did this with Oka, wow i'm so impressed... she was super excited and focussed to learn. Maybe it was the chicken maybe it was the addition of "breaks". She will now jump into a stand with the hand cue with no foot movement - just got to work on the verbal cue but essentually she got it in less than 5 minutes....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOL, i'm still trying to remember my facebook password to access the second video...sigh. i'm locked out...wow, seems a lotta hoops to jump through, to try to see the video! hope i DO ever get to see it!?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OKAY, now i'm FINALLY logged onto facebook,
and have her page pulled up, but WHERE on her facebook page IS that video? when i click on link posted above, i have to keep signing in to facebook,
and then, i go to MY page, not hers.
so i then google HER page,
and then can not find the video on her rather massive facebook page....where on her page IS that video?
HELP! i'm not the best at facebook..

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OKAY I FINALLY got to watch the video, (Buddy already knew "stand")
but where is the part where she teaches the DISTANCE "stand"...???

Anneke

Honored Member
I don't think she posted a distance stand, unfortunately. I thought she was, but no:(
So now I guess I have do what I did with the distance sit and down.
Fade away my hand, get a stable stand(meaning not moving her paws) and then begin to take a step away, and another, and another...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"What about when you are lying down? Just try giving a meaningful lure/hand signal for stand when you are horizontal! LOL!"//
rofl,:ROFLMAO: i should check that out! i bet Buddy will NOT follow ANY cue if i am lying down, since every single cue, EVERY one of them, (even "sit")
Buddy requires add'l lessons to 'understand' the cue
IF i am not standing up.
For real, everyone else's dog just follows cues whether they are standing up OR sitting down? Only my dog acts like it is whole other cue if the human sits down?:ROFLMAO: I will have to have a talk with Buddy, ha ha!!!
ANNEKE, thanks for tips, i will try to see if i can get a long distance 'stand' going with Buddy, currently, he runs over to me, and stands THERE, next to me........ ha ha!!

mewzard

Experienced Member
For real, everyone else's dog just follows cues whether they are standing up OR sitting down? Only my dog acts like it is whole other cue if the human sits down?:ROFLMAO: I will have to have a talk with Buddy, ha ha!!!
Not just Buddy, Oka will follow some cue's regardless of what position i'm in, others she's like "huh?". For instance /back up/ is /sit/ if i'm sat down....even with a hand signal :rolleyes:

running_dog

Honored Member
Definitely not just Buddy.

I have to reinforce everything again for me sitting or lying down, or even if I just move my standing position relative to Zac. I'm working on stand with Zac and me in different starting positions, that's why I know it is difficult! But Zac seems able to more easily transfer cues taught while I'm sitting to when I'm standing. Is that the same with Buddy?

Stand and other vertical (eg/beg) or active (eg/spin) commands seem to be harder for Zac to understand when I am horizontal. "Play dead", "Down" and "bed" are easy, sit from stand is easy but sit from down is hard. It kind of makes sense as he's a lazy dog always inclined to flop down during training anyway.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"But Zac seems able to more easily transfer cues taught while I'm sitting to when I'm standing. Is that the same with Buddy?"//
YES! YES, i know exactly what you mean, and it IS the same for Buddy,
if i originally teach him a cue while i am sitting down, he EASILY transfers the cue to when he hears it if i am now standing up...
but, in reverse, not so much, lol!
I wonder why in the world that is...no idea.
Maybe my dog is just trying to get me stand up more often, ha ha!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//" It kind of makes sense as he's a lazy dog always inclined to flop down during training anyway. "//
too funny, now when Buddy zones out on me, he begins to groom himself....lol. He'll suddenly find his own paw or his side or where-ever, suddenly very fascinating and in need of some instant grooming. rofl.
OR
he'll start staring off into space, ha ha. Or acting as if he hears something very interesting somewhere in the distance...i can always spot when Buddy is about done.
that is MY cue, "....we are about done here, mom...":ROFLMAO:
that is when i move the lesson to a new area, get a few more tricks out of him, and then end lesson, lol.
I'm getting better (after reading Jean mention this is good thing to try) at moving Buddy's lessons every few minutes now, BEFORE my dog zones out on me.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
we will want VIDEOS of this effort, RDog,
and have person filming it be sure to zoom in on your dog's face when you try this! (wipes tears from my eyes, oh too funny)