Teaching Limp

SD&B

Experienced Member
I'm going to teach Holly "limp", I've sort of been challenged by our obedience trainer to teach it to her.
I'm trying to figure out which method will be the best. I guess I'm going to have to bend a lot however I end up teaching it :(
hmmm..... unless I teach her to target a stick with her paw first..... I will need a long stick if I don't want to bend at all..... hmmm..... a stick might actually work!

Maybe teaching her to target the stick with the back of her paw would make her be able to target something floating to avoid the problem Evie is having.
Sounds very interesting. Maybe you could ask her to target with her wrist. (Is that what you meant by the back of the paw?) Let us know how it progresses. Maybe you should even video your sessions. Your method would be different than any other I've seen, but it would be great thinking out of the box. (y)(y)(y)

Honored Member
Yeah, I meant wrist.

I don't know if it will work, I just thought of it as I was writing my post. I'm still thinking about what method to use. A stick sure would get around the bending down to a little dog problem, I think Holly is about 30cm tall at the shoulders so I would have to get my hand even lower than that if I was to use "shake" as a start point or wanted to support her with my hand.

I haven't used a target stick at all with Holly so I don't know if she would really like it. She tends to be bad at things that require her to stay still or keep a body part still for any length of time so I'm not sure if she could do an extended target onto a stick.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Yeah, I meant wrist.

I don't know if it will work, I just thought of it as I was writing my post. I'm still thinking about what method to use. A stick sure would get around the bending down to a little dog problem, I think Holly is about 30cm tall at the shoulders so I would have to get my hand even lower than that if I was to use "shake" as a start point or wanted to support her with my hand.

I haven't used a target stick at all with Holly so I don't know if she would really like it. She tends to be bad at things that require her to stay still or keep a body part still for any length of time so I'm not sure if she could do an extended target onto a stick.
Another idea I've heard of is to use a leash or length of cloth of something attached to the collar and to hold the dogs leg up that way. If the dog was putting pressure on his/her neck, I would just hold both ends. Then, you don't have to bend over. You would gradually decrease the support as the dog became better at holding up the leg.

Another idea I had for someone with a short dog was to work on limp with the dog on a bench or table so that you are more easily able to reach their paw and wrist.