Teaching Limp

Evie

Experienced Member
So Evie and I have been working on limp for a while now, we're at the point where she knows what the verbal cue means, she has the balance on 3 legs, but she wont hold up her limping leg on her own, she still needs my hand there for that. However she's not actually putting any pressure on it when she steps, it's just a limp leg resting on my arm. Any ideas how to take this to the next step?

Targeting an object in front of her with her paw would be the obvious solution, however I can't seem to get Evie to hold a target on an item which is in mid air or so to speak. She just swipes at it with her paw instead. So any ideas on how to help this would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

MaryK

Honored Member
Looking for the same solution Evie, only with 'pee'. Ra Kismet is doing exactly the same thing. Will give pee but not hold it without my finger under his leg. Again, same thing, can balance properly and will lift his leg, but still needs my finger, no pressure from him either.

He will not target, same as Evie.

Sorry I cannot offer any help, but will be following this thread, as our problems are so similar the solution will probably be the same, or very similar.

Plus I want to start teaching limp as soon as Ra Kismet has crawl, which he's almost 'got'. LOL just get's a bit too over enthusiastic, strange for Ra Kismet :LOL: and 'pops up' at times.:oops:

southerngirl

Honored Member
So Evie and I have been working on limp for a while now, we're at the point where she knows what the verbal cue means, she has the balance on 3 legs, but she wont hold up her limping leg on her own, she still needs my hand there for that. However she's not actually putting any pressure on it when she steps, it's just a limp leg resting on my arm. Any ideas how to take this to the next step?

Targeting an object in front of her with her paw would be the obvious solution, however I can't seem to get Evie to hold a target on an item which is in mid air or so to speak. She just swipes at it with her paw instead. So any ideas on how to help this would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Veronica's mom taught her to limp maybe she can help.

MaryK

Honored Member
Veronica does a grand limp too. So you should get excellent advice. JAZZY AND VERONICA YOU'RE NEEDED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Oh thanks guys!!!!

But it's not true! We do an awful limp!! We were thwarted mid-limp by a ccl injury and we had to stop practice because she couldn't put any extra pressure on her knee.

But we were getting there!! I had the same issue w/ V. not knowing to keep her paw up on her own, so what I did was stop using my whole hand, I would only use 2 fingers, then 1 finger, then barely 1 finger tip, then I sort of moved to not having my hand under her paw at all, but to the side of/touching her arm right where it bended - a little light pressure and a reminder to keep it up here. Then I started making my touch lighter and lighter until I could just put my hand there as a reminder without actually touching her.

We never made it to the point where I could take my hand completely away but we would have got there with practice!!! Once her knee is completely better we'll go back to it.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks J & V I think that technique will also work with Ra Kismet's pee:D(y) And I still say Veronica does a great limp:D:p(y) Especially as she was injured half way through learning the trick!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I haven't tried teaching Calvin to limp, and can I say that, reading this thread, I'm surprised at how to teach it? First I assumed it would be easier to teach a hind leg limp since dogs 'steer' with their front legs and it seems like that'd be harder. Then I assumed that it would be shaped either 'purely' or using a prop like a sticky note under the dog's paw, so that she'd raise her foot. It didn't occur to me to use 'shake paw' as a starter! :confused:

Has anyone tried just clicking when the dog's paw is raised, rather than when it meets your hand? Or doing 'fake outs' and moving your hand, so as to capture the hovering paw?

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
This is what I was using as a guide:

The tricky part is where the dog has to push off from the back feet to take a step forwardwith the front paw raised. It's actually sort of awkward initially.

SD&B

Experienced Member

In the second video, Sundog starts limping at 2:47. We're working on a limp on the other side now and she has it pretty good on both sides now. Her first side is better, but we will work on building more strength and coordination on her off side. You want to use the paw that the dog naturally shakes with as the limping paw. (Dogs have a side preference, just like humans.)

The way I did it was to offer my wrist bent at an angle while I stood to her side. I gradually straightened the wrist so that the support was less and less. Then she started leaning more than I was holding her. I was able to move my wrist away very gradually. Finally, she wasn't really touching me, but she knew I was right there. But she could limp without any support from me. Yay! Then I moved around in front of her while keeping my wrist at her shoulder. From there, I was able to straighten myself up and cue from in front of her. Of course, this method is heck on the back.

I don't think this is one of those instant tricks, because I think most dogs have to build up the strength and coordination for it. I think most dogs will take some time, just for that reason alone. And the jump to keeping the paw up with absolutely no support is a big one.

I know my method is a bit different, but it worked.

Honored Member
I'm going to teach Holly "limp", I've sort of been challenged by our obedience trainer to teach it to her.
I'm trying to figure out which method will be the best. I guess I'm going to have to bend a lot however I end up teaching it :(
hmmm..... unless I teach her to target a stick with her paw first..... I will need a long stick if I don't want to bend at all..... hmmm..... a stick might actually work!

Maybe teaching her to target the stick with the back of her paw would make her be able to target something floating to avoid the problem Evie is having.