Teaching "grab It"/"pick It Up"

fly30

Experienced Member
I don't quite understand what you want to teach Replay ? Pick up or Hold ?
Holding is not easy if the dog does not have a mission. It would be a good idea to teach pick up and drop somewhere (in a bowl, a box or whatever). When the dog can do that, picking up becomes natural. Then when he has something in his mouth ask him to "stay" (don't move) and click after a few seconds.

fly30

Experienced Member
Well the game with the socks and a box is great. Throw old socks on the floor and show your dog that you put socks in a box (with a lot of fun so he'll want to participate). Then wait for him to take one and praise him. Show him the box when he has a sock, put it under his nose if necessary and when he drops the socks in the box, give him a treat (you can work with a clicker also).
That's what the game is about
http://youtu.be/pp_5B4MRUqc

Kelsey

thanks for the video! i'll be sure to try it. i tried shaping with a fleece tug, and she just nose touched/paw touched/etc haha

I worked with Julie on this one and she did great! Right now I'm having her hand the socks to me after picking them up, and eventually I think I'll have her stick them in a basket or something. Funny thing: I tried it with a toy car after she got the hang of the socks, but she knows that she's not allowed to play with it, so she just laid down right next to it and stared at me. :D Silly girl.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well the game with the socks and a box is great. Throw old socks on the floor and show your dog that you put socks in a box (with a lot of fun so he'll want to participate). Then wait for him to take one and praise him. Show him the box when he has a sock, put it under his nose if necessary and when he drops the socks in the box, give him a treat (you can work with a clicker also).
That's what the game is about
That's a brilliant idea, will use that with my boy!(y)