Teaching "grab It"/"pick It Up"

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks' started by Kelsey, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Kelsey Active Member

Anyone have a way to do this with a dog that is food motivated?

Replay will mouth it, but won't hold it at all. :/
    MaryK and Tâmara Vaz like this.

2. Jean Cote Administrator

What do she like more? Toys or Praise?
  3. Kelsey Active Member

she's more praise motivated over toys, occasional toy motivation comes but we're working on her tug drive.
  4. fly30 Experienced Member

I don't quite understand what you want to teach Replay ? Pick up or Hold ?
    Holding is not easy if the dog does not have a mission. It would be a good idea to teach pick up and drop somewhere (in a bowl, a box or whatever). When the dog can do that, picking up becomes natural. Then when he has something in his mouth ask him to "stay" (don't move) and click after a few seconds.
  5. Kelsey Active Member

just pick up, i'd like to move it to hold eventually, but i'd rather just have the pick up right now. :p
  6. fly30 Experienced Member

Well the game with the socks and a box is great. Throw old socks on the floor and show your dog that you put socks in a box (with a lot of fun so he'll want to participate). Then wait for him to take one and praise him. Show him the box when he has a sock, put it under his nose if necessary and when he drops the socks in the box, give him a treat (you can work with a clicker also).
    That's what the game is about
  7. Kelsey Active Member

thanks for the video! i'll be sure to try it. i tried shaping with a fleece tug, and she just nose touched/paw touched/etc haha
    Tâmara Vaz likes this.
  8. gage New Member

Ha! I might try that right now.
  9. I worked with Julie on this one and she did great! Right now I'm having her hand the socks to me after picking them up, and eventually I think I'll have her stick them in a basket or something. Funny thing: I tried it with a toy car after she got the hang of the socks, but she knows that she's not allowed to play with it, so she just laid down right next to it and stared at me. :D Silly girl.
  10. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Hi. You can put treats in the sock or toy and slowly take them out when your dog learns to pick it up :)
    MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  11. MaryK Honored Member

That's a brilliant idea, will use that with my boy!(y)