Teach Your Dog To Cover There Eyes!

Dlilly

Honored Member
To Dilly, maybe a cloth 'scrunchie' would be better than rubber band?
Or better yet, watch Anneke's video above,
in post #2
i WISH i had trained this cue the way Anneke did, as she will get a longer covering of the eyes, than i got with my dog. My dog just paws his eyes and face downwards, really, doesn't reeeeally hold his paw over his eyes.
I don't have any shrunchies that would be long enough. This rubber band is giant, it won't hurt her or be tight on her at all. I think I might try Anneke's method though. I don't know why I didn't see the video before. :p

Anneke

Honored Member
I found it quite easy to get her to understand this, but.... I am having a hard time fading my hand... I guess she just doesn't get that she can do it without my hand yet...

Erin O'Brien

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but I'm really excited to see so many others who love doing tricks with their dogs. I use trick books but sometimes find I have to modify things for my particular (stubborn) dog!

Anyways, for the cover your eyes trick I had to do the same thing. It was very difficult trying to get the tape on our puppy's forehead because she always tried to bite it before we could get to her snout or she'd lift her head so we couldn't get it on there.

Anyways, I realized that she covers her face if you blow on her snout. So I started doing that and saying "cover" as she covered her face, then I'd verbally praise her. After a day of doing that I started saying "cover" as the command and then giving her verbal praise, a treat and an enthusiastic pat when she did covered. This literally took 2 days and she has it down!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Welcome, Erin.

Lol, i tried that, and my dog growled and glared at me for blowing in his face!:ROFLMAO:I guess i could use that 'blow in his face' cue, but swap out the words to be "Buddy, show me Clint Eastwood!" and Buddy would raise up one lip and snarl........:ROFLMAO:

Now Anneke, YOU can not have trouble with fading the hand on this cue, as WE are all following YOU, Anneke! You are now Pied Piper of Shy! ha ha!

Dogster

Honored Member
AWESOME!!! PITBULL!!!! I LOVE THEM!!!!:love: They're soo underestimated. Nobody can have a pitbull in Ontario (where I live) because they are labeled as "agressive". :confused: Let me tell you, it's not the dog it's the OWNER. By the way, GREAT JOB ON RESCUING BELLA!!!:LOL: I love when people rescue rather than adopt!!!

Erin O'Brien

Thanks - she is seriously one of those once in a lifetime special dogs. She's also been a great ambassador for pit bulls. Her foster family had a "no pit bull" rule in their housing development that was repealed because of Bella, and my family - who was originally not happy at all about us adopting a pit - is now 100% sold on them. She also off leash heels like a champ, and is training to be a therapy dog. One of the many reasons I have been working with her so much on training is BECAUSE she's a pit and I want her to keeping changing peoples' minds about them!

I'm seriously trying to convince my husband we need to foster - we live near Baltimore City, which is inundated with homeless pit bulls. It breaks my heart.

Dogster

Honored Member
O.K. Yes, I agree with you Tigerlily. I was just trying to talk about how people who fight dogs and abuse them can create a agressive dog. I read about it and saw pictures. They make them bleed to death!! It's horrible!!:cry:

Anneke

Honored Member
Anyways, I realized that she covers her face if you blow on her snout. So I started doing that and saying "cover" as she covered her face, then I'd verbally praise her. After a day of doing that I started saying "cover" as the command and then giving her verbal praise, a treat and an enthusiastic pat when she did covered. This literally took 2 days and she has it down!
Blowing in Jinx her face, makes her shake her head. Doing it twice will give me a play-bow, doing it three times she will come and jump all over me, kissing me in the face:LOL: Nope, doesn't work for us:D

Tigerlily: I am trying!! Working on it:confused::eek::notworthy::LOL:

Erin O'Brien

LOL! My dog is very strange! I wish blowing in her face would result in a play bow because backing a treat into her body certainly doesn't! I also think the "show me your Clint Eastwood" would be amazing, haha.

UtonaganAtka

Ive been trying to teach this to Atka as we are both "shy" , since i cannot talk i have been using the hand signal .

the way ive been teaching it ,is with a target stick , she knows "touch" is to target with her nose and she knows "target" is to target with her paws , it seems to be working but im not sure when to fade the target stick away xD? any suggestions on how i could do that or should i start it then fade it then wait it out? she normally gives other tricks when she is confused , mainly spin :'D

btw I love this trick! i think it is adorable.

xena98

Experienced Member
hi guys
there was on here somewhere and I cant remember doing it but there was a tutorial with somone having a chi doing it I wish I knew where cause that was a good one should have saved that one but she showed like the ending as well