Teach Your Dog To "clean Up"

Anneke

Honored Member
Decided to let shame go for a while and try something new.
I have been playing around with stacking rings on a cone, but Jinx does not get that the ring should go ON the cone. Cooper will get it, already had a two or three rings on the cone(still by accident:))
So I thought this might still be too difficult for them.
But the beginning of the ring toss is pretty much the same as clean up. They have to put a ring ON a closed box.
So today I got out a crate and sat down to start clean up. Even though I didn't use the ring, Cooper got it right the first time. He isn't picking up the toy consistantly, but I know that is a problem with him.
Then I tried it with Jinx. She picks up the toy perfectly, but her coordination skills are not that good:D She managed to drop the toy on the edge of the crate about twenty times, before it actually fell in:LOL: But then she understood what she had to do. She was able to pick up three toys and put them in the crate.
Funny how she was a little puzzled by the fact that there was already a toy in the crate, while she was holding one. She took out the toy and then dropped it back in:ROFLMAO:
So next step is to add some distance to this!
Very proud off my duo for getting this so quickly!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GREAT WORK!
I think it is far more admirable the way your dogs "get it" as i think your way seems to require more brain power than the way i taught Buddy.
cuz we "cheated" by having toybox right under his face, NO WAY could he miss. Buddy got clicked as toy hit the bottom of toybox, which was right under his mouth

and THEN we moved toybox just a bit to the side, so we began to have him turn his head slightly to drop toy in,

and THEN we began to have him have to take a step to drop toy in,
and so on.

Mayyyybe, if you started with ring-stake right under Jinx's mouth, so when he drops it, it goes on effortlessly, just almost no way to miss hitting the ring-stake at all.......

and then once he has THAT down pat,

then begin to move the stake out a bit to his side, forcing him to begin to turn his head to hit the stake, and so on??? Maybe Jinx is like Buddy, just not a good aim!? :ROFLMAO: Needing help to "sink the shot" as hardest part of the trick, but CAN'T miss if it is directly under his chin....???
ha ha!!

Dogster

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: THE RING TOSS IDEA IS TOO CUTE!!!:ROFLMAO:
It's like with clean up. Except now Shivon thinks "box" means "drop it". So as soon as I say it, she just drops it wwherever she is. She can't really grasp it. HELP!!!:LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Why not sit on floor,
and start with Shivon sitting across from you,
with toybox inbetween you two------so toybox is right under Shivon's face,
and hand Shivon her favorite toy,
and wordlessly wait for Shivon to drop it, or hold up a treat for first few times, she'll drop that toy,
and CLICK/TREAT when toy thuds into the toybox?

THAT way is sooooooooooooo easy way to teach this.

and then, overtime, after Shivon gets idea, "i get prizes when that toy falls into toybox" THEN slowly move toybox a few inches to Shivon's side, so Shivon has to turn her head to drop toy in, and then, slowly have toybox a bit furhter, so Shivon has to take a step to drop toy in,
and so on?

then push toybox further and further away.

and then, begin holding toys lower and lower,
and then, have toys on floor in your hand,
and then, toys are on floor near your hand,
and then, fade your hand,
then fade your presence, too,
so dog picks up toys off floor, and dog knows the endgoal all along------> "i get prizes when toys fall into toybox".
this does work.

Anneke

Honored Member
GREAT WORK!
I think it is far more admirable the way your dogs "get it" as i think your way seems to require more brain power than the way i taught Buddy.
cuz we "cheated" by having toybox right under his face, NO WAY could he miss. Buddy got clicked as toy hit the bottom of toybox, which was right under his mouth

and THEN we moved toybox just a bit to the side, so we began to have him turn his head slightly to drop toy in,

and THEN we began to have him have to take a step to drop toy in,
and so on.

Mayyyybe, if you started with ring-stake right under Jinx's mouth, so when he drops it, it goes on effortlessly, just almost no way to miss hitting the ring-stake at all.......

and then once he has THAT down pat,

then begin to move the stake out a bit to his side, forcing him to begin to turn his head to hit the stake, and so on??? Maybe Jinx is like Buddy, just not a good aim!? :ROFLMAO: Needing help to "sink the shot" as hardest part of the trick, but CAN'T miss if it is directly under his chin....???
ha ha!!
Well, I did teach to drop on top of the box first, so I had them take the ring, with the box under their head, then asking to drop, so they couldn't miss.:D So it's not so different from how you did it.
Cooper has a nice drop, he just lets go of the toy/ring.
Problem is... Jinx... She lifts her head and moves to her right before dropping it... Allmost tossing the toy/ring.:rolleyes:
She doesn't need to be so precise with the toy IN the box, so it's not a problem. With the ring on the cone her tactics don't work. I clicked her for hitting the cone, hoping she would start to understand the ring had to go around the cone, but all she did was toss the ring around...She doesn't have a good mouth-eye coordination:ROFLMAO: That's why I thought a bigger target(the box) would help her aim. And she was having too much fun with the ring.
Now with the toy, she is a bit calmer, so maybe when she get's this, she will be able to handle the ringtoss.:LOL:

Dogster, it sounds like you might have a bit too fast for your dog. I do this too sometimes and find it backfires on me:LOL: You can set it right, but you might have to change your cue. So instead of saying box, say clean up. Or something else. Start from the beginning and stay near the box a bit longer, before building distance.;)

I just love how dogs get us thinking about how to get them to do what we want. Especially when we think we are being sooo clear and they go and do something else:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Problem is... Jinx... She lifts her head and moves to her right before dropping it... Allmost tossing the toy/ring.:rolleyes:"//

now this might sound crazy, and might not work, but for poor shooters like our dogs, mayyybe if you place ring-stake where Jinx is throwing it? If that can be done? Or change where YOU are?

hee hee, might not be possible, to place ring-stake where Jinx is throwing it anyway...

Anneke

Honored Member
I did try that and she accidently dropped the ring against the cone, so that it fell around it. I clicked and gave her a jackpot and ended the session.
I want to do clean up first and then go back to the ringtoss.;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GREAT WORK, Tif, your dog is getting like mine, who also sometimes needs two separate cues now, one to get the toy, and one to put it in the box. I am trying to fade that second cue now...lol.

btw, Tif, my dog came running over to hear your voice,:ROFLMAO: and seemed to like listening to it, Buddy looked very stoked to hear you!!:ROFLMAO: i THINK Buddy recognized praise, even online praise!! rofl.

Dogster

Honored Member
AWESOME Tif and Bella!!!!!:D GREAT JOB!!!!! Now we can see exactly how many toys Bella has!!!!!:ROFLMAO: I think at one point she noticed that the box was getting too full, and tried to take some of the toys out. "Mum, I think we need another box..." (failed attempt at a british accent:LOL:) LOL:ROFLMAO:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hahaha at one point i thought she was taking them out but after watching it back I saw the ring toy fall out, i wasn't watching Bella at that point so i didnt realise at that time lol just thought she was being cheeky lol

oh and where she seemed to look at the duck then the box after i threw it towards her as if to say - but i just put you away?

Dogster

Honored Member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not all the toys then. Don't try to cover it up Tif, LOL LOL LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: