Teach Your Dog The Cover Their Eyes Trick Original Training Tutorial (video)

Dice Smith

I have created a training tutorial for TiflovesBCs. In it I show three unique ways to teach your dog the cover your eyes trick. I came up with these methods when all of the other things people recommended I try didn't work for my boy Kodi. These methods may not work for everyone but they did work for my boy so they're worth a try! :)
And here's the companion trick guide posted to my blog!
http://barklikeyoumeanit.blogspot.com/

SD&B

Experienced Member
I have created a training tutorial for TiflovesBCs. In it I show three unique ways to teach your dog the cover your eyes trick. I came up with these methods when all of the other things people recommended I try didn't work for my boy Kodi. These methods may not work for everyone but they did work for my boy so they're worth a try! :)
And here's the companion trick guide posted to my blog!
http://barklikeyoumeanit.blogspot.com/
Great video. You threw out some very different and very good ideas. It was very easy to understand too.

For Sundog, she didn't mind the tape or stickies on her nose and would have sat around all day with them on her nose. When in full coat, she has a lot of hair over her eyes, so I was able to safely put the masking tape at the outside corner of her eye and obscure her vision. That worked for us. Her variation is that she paws at her nose on the cue of "Don't cry".

Dice Smith

Great video. You threw out some very different and very good ideas. It was very easy to understand too.

For Sundog, she didn't mind the tape or stickies on her nose and would have sat around all day with them on her nose. When in full coat, she has a lot of hair over her eyes, so I was able to safely put the masking tape at the outside corner of her eye and obscure her vision. That worked for us. Her variation is that she paws at her nose on the cue of "Don't cry".
Thank you! Kodi also does the cry trick :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oH, Buddy already knows this trick, but, i can see how your video could work to teach a dog this trick!! and it was so creative, how you came up with this method on your own!!
We call it "Buddy, are you shy?" and he paws his face/eyes, with both paws, in sequence. It's not his best looking trick, though, he likes to do it too fast.

I've also just taught a similar trick, where Buddy holds one paw over his eyes for prolonged moments.....it sort of looks like a canine version of facepalm!!
actually, i taught this facepalm move as part of an informal heelwork/doggie dancing routine i am working on for a song, so Buddy will cover his eyes to the line, "I won't cry, i won't cry, No i won't shed a tear":LOL: in an oldies song called "Stand By Me" by Ben E King. The hand cue for this move is my sort of wiping my own eyes.
I am now getting Buddy to do this cue, while in a beg position, but, my dog's "beg" (cue word "Wanna girlfriend?") is not the best, he can't yet hold that position for great lengths of time like some dogs can.

For the prolonged holding of a paw over his eyes, i used verbal cue "headache"
so i can ask, "Buddy, does ___x_____ give you a headache?":ROFLMAO: and work the trick into conversations with my friends, lol. Whatever topic we are talking about, i can ask Buddy his opinion on that topic!:LOL:

I love to add humor to as many cues as i can.:ROFLMAO: Most of my dog's tricks have a humorous cue to them, i don't much ever use the regular words like "rollover" or "speak" etc.

Dice Smith

oH, Buddy already knows this trick, but, i can see how your video could work to teach a dog this trick!! and it was so creative, how you came up with this method on your own!!
We call it "Buddy, are you shy?" and he paws his face/eyes, with both paws, in sequence. It's not his best looking trick, though, he likes to do it too fast.

I've also just taught a similar trick, where Buddy holds one paw over his eyes for prolonged moments.....it sort of looks like a canine version of facepalm!!
actually, i taught this facepalm move as part of an informal heelwork/doggie dancing routine i am working on for a song, so Buddy will cover his eyes to the line, "I won't cry, i won't cry, No i won't shed a tear":LOL: in an oldies song called "Stand By Me" by Ben E King. The hand cue for this move is my sort of wiping my own eyes.
I am now getting Buddy to do this cue, while in a beg position, but, my dog's "beg" (cue word "Wanna girlfriend?") is not the best, he can't yet hold that position for great lengths of time like some dogs can.

For the prolonged holding of a paw over his eyes, i used verbal cue "headache"
so i can ask, "Buddy, does ___x_____ give you a headache?":ROFLMAO: and work the trick into conversations with my friends, lol. Whatever topic we are talking about, i can ask Buddy his opinion on that topic!:LOL:

I love to add humor to as many cues as i can.:ROFLMAO: Most of my dog's tricks have a humorous cue to them, i don't much ever use the regular words like "rollover" or "speak" etc.
I love that you worked his cue words out so that you can ask if someones giving him a headache while standing right there. That is so funny!!! I need to try that with my boy Kodi :p

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: YES, YES, once you get started adding in humor into tricks, THAT gets as addictive as trick training itself!!
tip: USE ONLY the LAST word of the sentence, like, "headache" or whatever,
not the WHOLE sentence or question,
or else, dog preemptively does trick too soon into the question. Make dog wait to hear that last word til he does his thing, just looks better that way, imo.

My poor dog, i have created this whole personna for him, sort of as a drinking, trouble making, ladies-man, character, etc, from all his cues.:ROFLMAO: My dog even has political views, as well, poor dog, doesn't even know what he is "saying".:LOL: he's just in it for the cheese.

Anneke

Honored Member
I have a halti, but don't use it, because my dogs hate it. Don't know if it will work, because they tend to try to rub it off, on the floor or my legs...:rolleyes:
But it is worth the try, because nothing else has worked, so far.
Thanks!
I'll try it out tomorrow!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yES, i will want to see that video!
One thing i learned, is, i can change the verbal cue on a known trick. It's not that hard, i was surprised.
who knew?
You take known cue word---> add in gesture/foot move/facial expression, etc -----> fade out old cue word, so dog is now responding to gesture alone----->add in NEW cue word--->fade out gesture.
(might be easier way to do that, but, that is what i did. wasn't that hard, really)
WA-LA!!

Like this trick below, the cue word to say "no" was "bush".
Now, the same trick, he says no for " buddy, do you agree with republicans" OR " Are you a bad boy?" It's more the hand gesture, he says "no" to, now.
this is old old trick by now, from back in Nov 08, but now, it's out of date political question, so i changed it.
but, i have no video camera to show Buddy saying "no" to his NEW cue words, though.

Anneke

Honored Member
There's no party smiley on here, or I would have used it to fill this reply up!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!
I just did a session with the halti and it seemed like she got it!!
I have a halti hat is too big for her(it's for my other dog) And at first she kept rubbing it off her face with the nail on the side of her frontpaw:rolleyes: But I kept clicking only when she used her whole paw and after a while you could see her start to think...
I clicked bothpaws at first, to see which one she would use the most and then only clicked that one.
Something else I changed from my previous attempts is to have her lie down, instead of her sitting.
So after she was pretty consostent in rubbing off the halti, I just left the nosestrap hanging under her chin and waited to see what she would do.
And, YES, she moved her paw to her nose!! Whoohooo, jackpot!!
She didn't really touch her nose, but she was on her way.
And when she DID touch her nose I gave another jackpot and ended the session for now.
I will do another session later today!

So THANK YOU Dice, for this training idea, cos we were really stuck on this one!!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
There's no party smiley on here, or I would have used it to fill this reply up!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!
I just did a session with the halti and it seemed like she got it!!
I have a halti hat is too big for her(it's for my other dog) And at first she kept rubbing it off her face with the nail on the side of her frontpaw:rolleyes: But I kept clicking only when she used her whole paw and after a while you could see her start to think...
I clicked bothpaws at first, to see which one she would use the most and then only clicked that one.
Something else I changed from my previous attempts is to have her lie down, instead of her sitting.
So after she was pretty consostent in rubbing off the halti, I just left the nosestrap hanging under her chin and waited to see what she would do.
And, YES, she moved her paw to her nose!! Whoohooo, jackpot!!
She didn't really touch her nose, but she was on her way.
And when she DID touch her nose I gave another jackpot and ended the session for now.
I will do another session later today!

So THANK YOU Dice, for this training idea, cos we were really stuck on this one!!

The same, but i have noticed too that when i take the halti off at the end of the session she does it once more without the halti so i make sure i have treats and lots of praise for her and games. Yeah lying down is sooo much easier too.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Just done Bellas 3rd session for today(6th overall) and have introduced the cue as she is getting it plus the last 1/3 of the session she got the halti off her nose and still did it when i said and even didnt say the cue. :) great progress considering this is a trick i have struggled with