Stacking Rings

huntyr

Santa brought Huntyr stacking rings.
Starting with the large one, he is consistently picking it out from the others and bringing it to me.

Has anyone taught this yet?
I am wondering how to get him to understand he has to drop it on the "pole".
What would be the easiest way to move from handing it to me, to putting it on the pole?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...

Linda A

Experienced Member
When my dogs carry a ring it usually hangs down below their chin. I just started by having the pole right in front of me, tilted slightly forward, so that the ring would catch on the pole. Sometimes I actually had to move the pole for this to happen. It didn't take them long to understand that the feel of the ring catching on the pole meant they could release it onto the pole. After that I just started moving the pole farther and farther away from me.

My dogs actually do the ring toss game but training shouldn't be much different.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Thanks for asking this question! - my Newfoundland was actually trying to put one of his toys on the table the other day... (EEEEW!) :sick: and I thought, "Aha! he could do that trick with the rings!"

Linda A, I would love to see a video of your gorgeous Cockers doing tricks! (Hint Hint:whistle: )

Linda A

Experienced Member
Thanks for asking this question! - my Newfoundland was actually trying to put one of his toys on the table the other day... (EEEEW!) :sick: and I thought, "Aha! he could do that trick with the rings!"

Linda A, I would love to see a video of your gorgeous Cockers doing tricks! (Hint Hint:whistle: )
Your wish is my command. LOL! This is from last year when Royal was fist learning the trick. Cracks me up how clever he got at the end and started putting them on two at a time.

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon knows this one!:) I agree with Linda, move the pole if your dog is a bit off. Also, make the pole more appealing so he wants to put the ring on the pole instead of bringing it to you. The position that Linda had in the video was great, the pole was right in between her and Royal. This way the dog sees the pole before he sees you, and he has a better chance of putting the ring on the pole.:)

Anneke

Honored Member
I started out with having my dogs bring the ring to a target. I used a large plastic container(up side down) and had them put the ring on that. Slowly I made the target smaller.
I am at the point of using the pole now, but it still is a lot of misses. They get the idea, but their aiming skills aren't that good:D Cooper is calmer in putting the ring on, so he can get in on the pole sometimes.
Jinx is a ring tosser, so she hits the pole, but it hardly ever goes on:rolleyes:
This does give me the idea to pick this trick back up, though. I'll see if I can get it on vid.

Anneke

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO::confused: complete disaster... I'll have to start back from scratch or abandon this.
I did make a vid of my session and later today I'll put it through movie-maker, so you can see how "well" we did:ROFLMAO::whistle:

huntyr

Thankks for all the repilies. We have gone on a business trip so havent worked on it at all. By the time we get to motel at night we barely have enough energy for potty walk and snuggles.
Cant wait to try all your suggestions.

My rings arent as big as the ones in the video. Am i setting him up for failure right from the start?!