Skijoring Info

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Great!

So today I officially ordered myself a Skijoring kit. The kit will have two X-BACK Harnesses and a Skijoring belt. I also went the extra mile and gotten the neck tie along with a single dog line to ease the training in the beginning.

It was a little confusing measuring the dogs at first, but after a call to them they were very helpful and gave me great skijoring tips! :) So now I am quite excited to this coming winter! :)

Next step: The skis. :)

They gave me some tips on getting skis too. They mentioned to not get cross country skis that have metal edges on them because if the dog stops you might slide into them and hurt them. Also to have them waxed to help with the gliding.

Another good tip is to hydrate the dogs before leaving out for skijoring. 1 cup of water mixed with a meat tasting sauce, fat or food will make them drink the water.

Oh and also.... The usual skijoring commands are 'haw' for turning left, 'gee' for turning right and 'on by' for ignoring other dogs.

dearing

hi jean,
were you able to get out there is try skijoring yet? how did it go?

im excited as I am taking my bf's husky to a dog mushing seminar next weekend and we will get to learn about skijoring, scootering, and much more!
-dearing

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I have received all my skijoring equipment from CanaDog and everything worked out flawlessly. The equipment is high quality and fits great on my dogs, I took the ripstop material. I went to a Ski Convention today to get cross country skis, but all they had was hundreds of snowboards and downhill skis... Apparently cross country isn't big enough for them to bring them.

alee

Jean if you don't mind second hand skis, why not try on kijiji I got a beautiful pair of cross country skis along with the poles and shoes for only fifteen bucks.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I am looking at those too! ;) But the thing is that I need skis without metal edges on them so that I don't hurt the dog if I accidentally hit them. And it's also a challenge to find the right size. :) Stores will start selling ski equipment mid to end November ... so I have time to look around.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, time for a little update!

I've gotten all the equipment necessary (except the skis), so I've already started training my dogs to start skijoring this winter! I went out last night to try how things went, and to my amazement, only one dog was actually pulling. If I were to say that I have a Siberian Husky and a Border Collie, I'm sure that you would think that Onyx the Husky was the strong puller, right?

Nope! Chase my border collie was the crazy puller and loved it. Onyx my Siberian Husky wasn't that much interested in pulling, in fact she hated being in front and would stop at any sign of pressure on her harness.

So I will have to train my husky to pull... I have begun to tie things to her harness, I used a piece of wood on our last walk and I will next use a small tire. Once she is used to pulling, I'm going to have to get her to run in front of me, which is going to be a little bit harder.

Wish me luck! ;)