Skateboarding Dog

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh we are working on it with a mountainboard (that's all I have). We're getting there but it's not perfect yet. We did it with clicker training. I clicked one paw, then two, then when she made it roll with two paws on it and on this video, I tried to click 3 paws. I haven't practiced since december but maybe I should give it another go soon. Sometimes I give her time and things are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDPe46-DnMU

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job Fly! I'd love to see how it turns out outside, see if your dog loves the skateboard. I wonder if there is a way to make the wheels turn less during training, I think it'd be easier to train. :doglaugh:

fly30

Experienced Member
Thanks Jean. The mountainboard is probably more reassuring for the dog than the skateboard as its bigger and its wheels can be flatten so they turn less (there is air in them like bikes). If you have a skateboard, it may be good to try in the grass so it's less slidy.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I was just thinking about training on carpet first, maybe even with wheel stoppers. :) Like a small board to stop it from sliding in the very beginning. :biggrin:

fly30

Experienced Member
Please let me know how it goes. It may be challenging for me if you give it a try. I had nobody around me or around the web to follow me on that trick so far
. I'm having a lot of fun in this community

fly30

Experienced Member
Ho I love it !!! You and your two 4 paws are really cute ! Even the cat does some tricks ? Lovely :)

new bear

Yup, I love both of them really much. The kitten loves to copy my dog in everything she does. Like scratching our legs with both front paws to beg for food, call us to open the bedroom door (by meowing) for her to go in and out, enjoy sleeping in the crate where she was really terrified of it in the past, both of them rushing to the door to greet us (the kitten will meow and the dog will bark) when when we come home, learnt how to go under my blanket and sleep with me when the weather is cold and even let us pet, stroke her tummy and carry her just like my dog. She saw my dog always doing all these actions and copy from her. She let me feels that she is a dog instead of a cat unknowingly. She knows a few tricks as I clicker train her. She knows sit, down, hungry (lick her lips), a bit of weaving, wait, food refusal, over a hurdle, going on a teeter trotter apart from those two tricks in the video. Sadly, I did not managed to film all these tricks that I taught her before she died this February during chinese new year. Even though I only had her for about five months, I feel that I had her for a long time. I really miss her a lot and she will always be a special cat in my heart. :)

fly30

Experienced Member
I'm sorry she died so quickly. You've done a really good work with this kitten. Now have fun with your little dog who seems so clever.

new bear

Yea, I am having lots of fun with my dog now and I also go downstairs to the construction site beside my flat to train and play with the stray dog and another cat. I am having lots of fun with them even though the stray dog and cat cannot live in my house. :)

J_Sinay

Okay, so I just started trying out the skateboard thing with my pup, Oscar. I've always seen it and just love it. I found a kid's skateboard and threw it down the driveway to see what Oscar would do. It was love at first sight. Now the problem is everytime I bring out the skateboard he gets so excited I can't bring him back from his level of excitement to get him to listen to anything. I know he's only 10 months old, but up to this point he's been a great student. Any ideas?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Skateboard is one of River's most challenging tricks. We've been working on it off and on for over a year but he is still a little intimidated by the skateboard.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Okay, so I just started trying out the skateboard thing with my pup, Oscar. I've always seen it and just love it. I found a kid's skateboard and threw it down the driveway to see what Oscar would do. It was love at first sight. Now the problem is everytime I bring out the skateboard he gets so excited I can't bring him back from his level of excitement to get him to listen to anything. I know he's only 10 months old, but up to this point he's been a great student. Any ideas?
I would start over. Work on teaching skateboard inside. Have it out in the room just sitting there before you bring Oscar in. Put Oscar on leash if needed and use a really good treat that he will be able to focus on. Hope this is helpful!

J_Sinay

It was hilarious with the skateboard in the house. It or maybe should say I lasted about 2 minutes. He didn't even want the bacon I had for him. He only had eyes for his skateboard. Oh well, maybe this one well put away until he's older. Though I will say the sand paper texture of the skateboard does a great job filing his nails...(y)

fly30

Experienced Member
We now have a real skateboard for Fly and left the mountainboard as the side wheels were a problem. Fly is doing well now. She can have three paws on the skateboard and push with the fourth. But she does not run fast for the moment. Time will come.

Funny enough, the other day, we were walking along the quay and we saw a young boy practicing skateboard. Fly went and sat in front of him with her funny questionning gaze, as if she was asking to have a go. It was really funny.