Shall I Have My Dog Euthanased?

Shal I have my dog euthanaised?

• Yes because if her main happiness is to play with other dogs in the off the leash park

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ey, can your vet write some kind of note, that Rosie has medical condition (maybe thyroid..) so Rosie needs a harness or vest type thing instead?

sorry, just trying to think of ways to get out of this....the whole thing.
sorry, i'm no help, probably upsetting your more, i'll shut up.

helpsavemydog

Well I have just got to keep going with her. I shall front up every week and do our best. A friend of mine is passionate about my case and wants me to find out all about this dog obedience club (the only one in Toowoomba) who's running it etc. but I can't be bothered really to get involved with people who are so backward in there thoughts. In half time they promoted this dance with your dog club and had a competition?? :LOL: The president won. The president has a large Alsatian (beautiful), I wonder if he has growled at anyone?

running_dog

Honored Member
Like I say I have used one of these collars, it was obtained through a training class.

I don't have a huge problem with the collar BUT that the class demands you use something like this is very worrying. This kind of class probably teaches your dog nothing but fear and coercion. Try it but don't be afraid to quit, don't be blackmailed into destroying Rosie's character, she is better as a regulated dog for the rest of her life than turning out like the trainers dogs at the class we went to. Look at the trainers dogs (if they have any) and figure out if you think it is worth it.

LOL the dogs in that class were so cowed, coerced and brainless. Give me a clicker dog any day. The trainer told my sister she had had to prove she had a stronger will than the dog, "Oh" she said, "I can't do that, I know he's got a stronger will than me" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. That left him speechless. Our dog eventually came 3rd out of the class but learnt nothing useful for everyday life, I learnt a lot that I had to unlearn.

helpsavemydog

ey, can your vet write some kind of note, that Rosie has medical condition (maybe thyroid..) so Rosie needs a harness or vest type thing instead?

sorry, just trying to think of ways to get out of this....the whole thing.
sorry, i'm no help, probably upsetting your more, i'll shut up.
That's a great idea, if I feel this collar causes harm I will certainly go to the vet as I know they don't like the choker collars
It means alot to me to know that others care

helpsavemydog

She has definitely been discriminated against at the class due to her status! As there was another man and his dog in a different class (still level 1) and they said nothing to him as I asked him! (n)
Anyway I just have to be thankful that we have her as she gives me so much pleasure

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Lol, Rosie Mom, my dog truly IS a gangta, oh he is!! Yes he is. A real gangsta, not like your innocently mislabelled dog!!
and i know just egggggzactly the icey chilly reception you are describing. Lol. I have learned to chuckle about it by now. I tell ppl, "Yeah, my dog IS a lil gangsta, he's out on a the work-release program"...

("Work-release" is program in America, where trusted prisoners get time to be out in the real world, to practice their skills and do jobs, etc. and then the prisoners have to go back into the prisons each night, but everyone knows they are criminals. so it is a joke my dog is out on the work-release program.)
Many of these ppl in america, also hold the dog-whisperer view, that if your dog is acting up, it is a reflection of the owner's secret inner issues, and the dog is "manifesting" the owner's internal unresolved problems.:rolleyes: Although, i know some pretty nervous spazzy ppl with mellow dogs, and some aggressive dogs owned by sweet, or mellow, or confident ppl.

And your dog is not even a gangsta, and he STILL has to wear the "Scarlet A" of aggressive dog........CHEERS TO YOU, ROSIEMOM, that you have not let any of this nonsense come between you and your love for your dog!!!

helpsavemydog

Lol, Rosie Mom, my dog truly IS a gangta, oh he is!! Yes he is. A real gangsta, not like your innocently mislabelled dog!!
and i know just egggggzactly the icey chilly reception you are describing. Lol. I have learned to chuckle about it by now. I tell ppl, "Yeah, my dog IS a lil gangsta, he's out on a the work-release program"...

("Work-release" is program in America, where trusted prisoners get time to be out in the real world, to practice their skills and do jobs, etc. and then the prisoners have to go back into the prisons each night, but everyone knows they are criminals. so it is a joke my dog is out on the work-release program.)
Many of these ppl in america, also hold the dog-whisperer view, that if your dog is acting up, it is a reflection of the owner's secret inner issues, and the dog is "manifesting" the owner's internal unresolved problems.:rolleyes: Although, i know some pretty nervous spazzy ppl with mellow dogs, and some aggressive dogs owned by sweet, or mellow, or confident ppl.

And your dog is not even a gangsta, and he STILL has to wear the "Scarlet A" of aggressive dog........CHEERS TO YOU, ROSIEMOM, that you have not let any of this nonsense come between you and your love for your dog!!!
Thankyou Jean Marie you give me soooo much energy to keep going. I've just been out for a bike ride with Rosie which she really loves, now we are both ready for bed. My brother came to visit me today unexpected, and Rosie growled at him several times - my brother did look like he hadn't had a wash or haircut for quite a while so I think she was just frightened. She had met him before about 4 months ago. We tried to ignore her growling but that didn't stop her doing it again so the next time I got angry at her and told her to stop it which she did, an hour later did it again. It wasn't until he was hear for about 4 hours when she stopped. At no time though did she bare her teeth, my brother went straight up to her and gave her a pat and roughed her up a bit telling her not to be silly and she accepted this. Dear me what am I to do with Rosie......?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Hmmmm, well, i could be wrong, Rosiemom, but, it's not impossible that your Rosie MIGHT be what is called a "shy" dog. I could be wrong, one can't tell over the internet what a dog is like or doing really.

There are many many levels of shyness, from very mild,
to very severe. The 'only mildly shy' dogs mostly almost blend in, barely noticeable.

Shy dogs are born this way (IF IF IF Rosie is even a shy dog at all, she might not be shy)
and it is genetic. It is a recessive gene, the parents are usually 'normal' dogs.
STill, we can always make a shy dog better,:D
or worse, by how they are managed.

Shy dogs tend to not enjoy unknown humans. If not well managed, or if the shy dog has a real severe case of it, shy dogs can and will become aggressive to unknown humans.
AGain, Rosie might not even be shy. Maybe Rosie just needs to get more used to men, lots of dogs are a bit leery of men.
On bright side, shy dogs, especially if very well managed, or have only a mild case of it, often get on well with other dogs.

Did any of the evaluations you had done rate Rosie as shy in any way? Other words for shy dog are "anxious", "fearful", "timid", "nervous", etc.

AT any rate, whether or not Rosie is shy, i'm glad it went okay when your brother wrestled with Rosie. Sometimes that is not what happens.
YOu do not want anyone, ever again, to ever "give her a pat" or "correct" or "scold" Rosie for growling, ever again, though. It's an innocent beginner's mistake, but no matter whether Rosie is shy or 'normal', either way, you do not want to correct a growl, not ever.

You could end up real sorry if you do teach Rosie to never growl. Rosie CAN be trained to never growl, but that is NOT what you want, at all.
Teaching your dog to skip his warning growl
does NOT make your dog "nice",
it only makes him “silent”.

Then you are left with a dog who is harder to read, and has learned to skip that VIP warning growl, and goes straight for a bite....which is last thing you want.

if your dog growls, calmly silently remove him away from whatever it is he is growling about, but do NOT scold a growl. Most dogs would prefer to growl than bite. I’m very grateful that Buddy growls,:D it helps alert me to the fact Buddy is losing it, if I wasn’t even paying att’n, well, I am NOW!:ROFLMAO:
As much as you can, try to remove Rosie,
not the person or dog Rosie is growling AT.

Ppl who scold growls are the ones who post stuff like, “You can never tell when Fido is going to go off….one minute, Fido is fine, next minute, BAM! He’s biting and attacking.” Somewhere along the line, Fido was taught to skip his warning growl…so he does.

See also a reply below, on the “Bathroom Trick” for growling dogs, below.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Rosie, my dog Buddy, is NOT a shy dog, my dog is a dog-aggressive dog, but when i first got him, he had some spillover aggression towards humans too. (my dog's dog-aggression thing is about DOGS, not humans) But back then, Buddy growled or snarled or bit all our visitors. Here is what some ppl here on DTA taught me to do, and it worked great for *my* dog, it might not work for Rosie.
VISITORS in your home:
I put Buddy into another room while I let in visitors, cuz my dog, like many
dog-aggressive dogs, has a whole "thing" with doorways in general, doorways, gates, etc, are a
trigger for *my* dog.
I seat the visitor, and THEN bring in Buddy, after i'd spent some time with him
alone,giving him calming signals, (yawning, slow blinks, and a deep slow sigh)
I then allow Buddy in on leash, but leash is dragging on floor. *MY* PARTICULAR
DOG never lunged at ppl who ignored him, so this was okay for *my* dog. My dog
ONLY bit ppl who reached for him, leaned over him, startled him badly, etc.
Have visitors NOT approach your dog. Have visitors NOT look at your dog,
Then have visitor glance Briefly at dogs, and do a slow blink, and yawn at your
dog, and then look away again, and resume ignoring the dog. Have visitor very occasionally do some deep slow sighs every once in a while. This is Rosie's language, and Rosie WILL know what they said, "calm down, i'm no threat."
The visitor may, occasionally, slow blink and yawn at the dog, now and then, and
then look away again. NO staring at the dog, is bad manners in the dog world. NO REACHING for the dog. Allow the dog to choose who he wants to touch him.
THE BATHROOM TRICK:
If your dog growls, calmly, SILENTLY remove the dog (on leash) to another
room, for 20 seconds, like a bathroom, close door for 20 seconds,
and calmly
silently return him again to the kitchen.
20 seconds is LONG TIME to a DOG.
If dog re-growls, calmly, silently remove him again, for only 20 seconds, and
return him.
This took my dog a long time to get idea, that "yes, you can growl, and I will
calmly protect you/remove you away from scarey person, but, if you want to stay
in here with us, you have to be a gentleman."
I offered Buddy calming signals, such as
slow blinks,
Deep sighs,
Yawns,
Etc.
All dogs are unique, but, my dog learned, "If I want to be in here with
everyone else, I have to be a gentleman." And so he was.:)
Yes yes, it took all day long.
Yes yes, we had to repeat it with many visitors. ALSO---I WANT TO EMPHASIZE,
I never scolded the growl, I calmly calmly, silently, led Buddy (on leash) away
from that which he growled about)
Then, when Buddy finally *was* done growling, I had visitors toss
treats to Buddy.:D:p
Over time, with repeated visits, the ppl tossed treats in ever shortening distances to their feet.
Buddy became accustomed to *some* ppl, and he
was then able to take treats directly from their hands.:D I observed Buddy closely
for any signs of stress (lip licks, hairs falling out, any noise at all, lip
lifts, subtle slight paw lifts, hardening eyes, backing away, ANYTHING that
indicated I was going too fast with Buddy).
Overtime, with ppl Buddy HAD become comfortable with, he was able to lick dabs
of peanut butter off of their hands. THEN I began to feel very hopeful, as
licking another person hand is VERY bonding to a dog. Not all dogs can get this
far. This was after a long time of of continuous efforts to get him calm around
ppl, etc.
Again, close observation for signs of stress. NOT ALL DOGS CAN GET THIS FAR.
Once Buddy ever got that far with some ppl, he DID begin to generalize this to
many other ppl, and our progress did skyrocket from this point on, and Buddy's
process of accepting ppl became markedly shorter for each new person, until he
decided humans were okay after all.
Again, MY dog was not a shy dog, my dog's problem is primarily about other dogs. Some shy dogs, after getting the hang of just being in the same room with visitor, will do better to go to their matt or to their bed, instead of trying to get much closer to the human.
We never ever want to force any dog, or any shy dog (IF IF IF Rosie is a shy dog, she might not be at all) to have contact with a person they dont' want to be close to.
I'm so so worried about the choke chain classes and your dog...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
If and when Rosie ever approaches your visitor in calm manner,
it's fine to calmly praise that behavior for Rosie but allow Rosie to choose who she gets close to, and when Rosie is done with it.

Some dogs are happier over on their mats if strangers are in their home. If Rosie is sitting right by your visitor, and visitor makes sudden, animated moves while they tell a story, well, Rosie might be startled by all that and react. So, sometimes, letting dogs who are not keen on visitors rest in some more distant spot is good idea for the duration of the visit.

On walks, don't allow strangers to pet Rosie, especially if Rosie is backing away, hiding behind your leg, making any noises, and don't let them stare at Rosie if she seems uncomfortable........but, i guess with all the tags on Rosie now, i guess you wont' have to much worry about anyone bothering Rosie for a while....geez.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ey, Rosiemom, did you ever decide to report that mother whose child was running in the streets to child-protection agencies?:ROFLMAO:

helpsavemydog

Hmmmm, well, i could be wrong, Rosiemom, but, it's not impossible that your Rosie MIGHT be what is called a "shy" dog. I could be wrong, one can't tell over the internet what a dog is like or doing really.

There are many many levels of shyness, from very mild,
to very severe. The 'only mildly shy' dogs mostly almost blend in, barely noticeable.

Shy dogs are born this way (IF IF IF Rosie is even a shy dog at all, she might not be shy)
and it is genetic. It is a recessive gene, the parents are usually 'normal' dogs.
STill, we can always make a shy dog better,:D
or worse, by how they are managed.

Shy dogs tend to not enjoy unknown humans. If not well managed, or if the shy dog has a real severe case of it, shy dogs can and will become aggressive to unknown humans.
AGain, Rosie might not even be shy. Maybe Rosie just needs to get more used to men, lots of dogs are a bit leery of men.
On bright side, shy dogs, especially if very well managed, or have only a mild case of it, often get on well with other dogs.

Did any of the evaluations you had done rate Rosie as shy in any way? Other words for shy dog are "anxious", "fearful", "timid", "nervous", etc.

AT any rate, whether or not Rosie is shy, i'm glad it went okay when your brother wrestled with Rosie. Sometimes that is not what happens.
YOu do not want anyone, ever again, to ever "give her a pat" or "correct" or "scold" Rosie for growling, ever again, though. It's an innocent beginner's mistake, but no matter whether Rosie is shy or 'normal', either way, you do not want to correct a growl, not ever.

You could end up real sorry if you do teach Rosie to never growl. Rosie CAN be trained to never growl, but that is NOT what you want, at all.
Teaching your dog to skip his warning growl
does NOT make your dog "nice",
it only makes him “silent”.

Then you are left with a dog who is harder to read, and has learned to skip that VIP warning growl, and goes straight for a bite....which is last thing you want.

if your dog growls, calmly silently remove him away from whatever it is he is growling about, but do NOT scold a growl. Most dogs would prefer to growl than bite. I’m very grateful that Buddy growls,:D it helps alert me to the fact Buddy is losing it, if I wasn’t even paying att’n, well, I am NOW!:ROFLMAO:
As much as you can, try to remove Rosie,
not the person or dog Rosie is growling AT.

Ppl who scold growls are the ones who post stuff like, “You can never tell when Fido is going to go off….one minute, Fido is fine, next minute, BAM! He’s biting and attacking.” Somewhere along the line, Fido was taught to skip his warning growl…so he does.

See also a reply below, on the “Bathroom Trick” for growling dogs, below.
Thankyou so much tigerlilly for that info this has really really helped. I knew deep down that I didn't want to stop her from growling, I couldn't agree with you more - it is a warning. To little old ladies came to the door yesterday and before she saw them she growled warning me that somebody was there, two barks and a growl. I keep her on her harness most of the time and I always have her restrained before opening the door which I did this time. They were JW's so we had a quick chat and she was fine while I was talking to them. But that is what I shall do in future just put her in another room until they go. In my brothers case I guess I would put her in 'timeout' for a minute let her out and if she growls again I would do the same. I have given her timeout before - when she used to annoy the chooks - she is good now but I still wouldn't trust her with the chooks 100%. I think she isn't shy just weary of strangers/unknown noises. When I would take to the off the lead dog walking park not once did she growl but then it was her territory was it and I think that is the difference. She has never ever snapped except if you try to take the bone off her but my husband has dealt with that and she doesn't do it anymore

helpsavemydog

Yes, come live here! I have extra room!
Where do you live? Thankyou for your empathy much appreciated. I weakened and bought the collar today. It isn't so bad especially if I have the collar fairly loose from the start so when it tightens it still isn't tight, best option in the circumstances. I might start my own obedience class one day

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//". But that is what I shall do in future just put her in another room until they go"//
You could do that, for quickie visitors, if you want to, but IF Rosie is okay across the room a few feet away, that might be okay, too. I guess it depends on how far away your Rosie needs to be to be comfortable.

If Rosie IS fine while you greet visitors,(?) you can keep lil treats by the door, and give her lil treats for behaviors you DO like while you chat at the door, (like sitting calmly, or lying down) since it sounds like Rosie was okay with visitors at the opened door. (not sure)

I see your dog's growl, or my dog's growl, as a warning, but, i see it more as a warning "MY DOG is about to lose his lil mind/is getting overthreshold" not as a warning this here visitor is a problem.:ROFLMAO: I see it as warning about my DOG'S condition/state of mind. A growl is often a dog's last warning prior to a bite, which is exactly why we want to hear it.

I think almost all dogs "alarm" or bark for visitors knocking on the door. It sounds like once you opened the door, Rosie felt her job to let you know scarey humans are at the door ended, and she was okay to see you calmly chatting with them. (i myself much enjoy sincerely asking odd questions of JWs about whatever topic they are on that day, when i get any JWs:ROFLMAO:...they never come back, though.)
If, however, visitors at your door were to go reaching down to pet your dog, that might not seem fun to your particular dog, in which case, having Rosie go to her mat for visitors might be best idea.

Teaching a dog "Go to your mat" is pretty easy cue, actually, not that hard for most dogs to get:

and yeah, the "Bathroom Trick" for growling, i only put Buddy in for 20 or 30 seconds, which is a long time to a dog. And no scolding whatsoever, as i DO want Buddy to growl, i sure do. I feel very grateful my dog WILL growl,:D and i feel sorry for owners who have dogs who won't growl,:( cuz THOSE non-growling dogs are wayyyyyyy harder to "read", and way harder for their owner to notice that their dog is beginning to flip out.

//"I think she isn't shy just weary of strangers/unknown noises"//
That IS pretty much the definition of a "shy" dog. It can be mild/barely noticable, or severe, even extremely severe.

Luckily, it doesn't sound like Rosie has severe case of shyness, just *possibly* a mild case (IF IF IF your dog is even shy at all, no way to know online, really, but Rosie sounds like she does have a few of the characteristics of a mildly shy dog) A shy dog mostly means the shy dogs does not much enjoy unknown humans, and is even fearful of them to some extent.
Shyness is genetic, it's not something you did "wrong". Still, depending on what we humans do "to" or "for" our shy dogs, we can make the shy dog better,:D
or worse.:cautious:
Forcing contact with unknown ppl can make a shy dog worse.

That is vip to know, is never allow or force Rosie to have unwanted contact with anyone that Rosie doesn't want to have.

Like don't let unknown ppl pet Rosie, if Rosie isn't inviting it. Sometimes that ends up badly. Shy dogs (IF Rosie is a shy dog,she might not be)
can startle easily, like you said, "wary of strangers"
and what is intended as a friendly petting towards Rosie by a stranger
can *feel like* a sudden unexpected, unwanted threat to Rosie,
and some shy dogs BITE that unexpected hand reaching for Rosie.

ON bright side, Rosie might get on well with most dogs. But some shy dogs also develop issues with other dogs, too. That is one thing i worry about your class, is having Rosie in a room of dog-aggressive dogs, not sure if your teacher lumps the dog-aggressive dogs in with the human-aggressive dogs. (most ppl DO lump the dog-aggressive dogs as having same disorder as the ppl-aggressive dogs:rolleyes: but they are NOT the same kind of dogs, it's two different types of dogs.)

Last thing Rosie needs, is some dog-aggressive in her class to bite her. :cry: I would keep Rosie away from those other dogs in your class, in case they are dogs like MY dog is.

(my dog has a different disorder, Buddy is fine with unknown humans,:D just wants to kill most unknown dogs:mad: ). He is a gangsta, but he is MY lil gangsta, and i wouldn't trade him for all the 'normal' dogs in the world. I've learned more from having a gangsta dog, than i ever did from my normal dogs. Buddy needs me, and i need him. I do understand him very well now. I didn't at first, but i do now.

AT any rate, i think Rosie is lucky to have YOU, and you are lucky to have Rosie. She might indeed have a very mild fear of unknown ppl, ("shyness") but even IF she does, you will learn so so much from Rosie, as you learn how to help Rosie become her best self, despite the horrible class you are ordered to go to.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and yes, come on over! I live on northern state line of Indiana/Michigan, is fairly boring area, but we are close to Lake Michigan, and Chicago.

AND I LOVE YOUR IDEA, of YOU setting up training classes someday, since YOU have been through all this firsthand, the others in the class might respect you DO know what it's like to be "labelled" or to deal with a dog who *might* have some issues.
(my dog has had more issues than National Geographic..:rolleyes: .)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Mewzard, what an adorable link! How cute! THANKS maybe now i have a better understanding of why doors, gates, any opening of any room, or even the wide stairway to the outdoor deck, are all "triggers" for *my* dog.
who knew?

The fiction snippet at the beginning of your link, Mewzard, reminded me of a medic calling in, (i work ER) about that they could not enter the house, big snarling dog in the doorway, the dog just making it real clear the dog did NOT want those medics and EMTs coming into the house.......and they could see the person on the floor inside the home, but they could not enter, and were waiting on animal control (who ended up using one of those neck loop thingies on a stick).

It also reminded me, of when my lil girl was only in grade school, the neighbors dog used to get loose, chase her down the street, and I kept talking to these neighbors, repeatedly, about they need to keep their dog in their yard, or on a leash, or something, as he is terrorizing the kids on our street.....They denied their dog ever ever got out. I was nice, and they were nice, but they insisted, i must have the wrong dog, that their dog never ever is out by himself. I kept telling them, no, it IS your dog. But, they felt bad my child was being terrorized by a snarling aggressive dog, but, it could not possibly be their dog. (THIS WAS BEFORE CELL PHONES with cameras, ha ha)

Finally, with no result from talking to the family several times, i called animal control every time their dog chased the kids, snarling and growling, down the street. Their dog eventually BIT my child. They were profusely sorry, but insisted, it wasn't their dog that bit my child, look, there he is, all fenced in his own back yard, see? They said it must some look-alike dog in our neighborhood. They were nice ppl, they just did not believe us. They weren't like, lying to me, they truly believed what they were saying.

Took several several visits from animal control, with complaints, form everyone else on the street, and a few more dog bites,
til the guy finally finally figured out, his dog had cunningly tunnelled under their deck, and had his own lil exit strategy there, but the dog was so clever, the dog ALSO tunnelled his way back INTO his own yard again, after his rampages up and down the street!!!

so the family was unaware their dog was a houdini dog, cuz the dog snuck back into his own yard all by himself!:ROFLMAO: The guy then added extra band of wood around the base of his deck, and problem was solved.
The neighborhood was safe, once again.

but, i sort of wished he had believed me before his dog bit my child. But, in his defense, he really did not think his dog could escape their fencing. He also had gone along the fence, to look for any damage, but didn't see any, and never considered his dog could get under the deck.

Someone from animal control told my daughter, no more running when the dog comes up snarling at you, just hold out your bookbag, or your jacket, the dog doesn't really care what he bites, whatever is closest will do fine, and try to face the dog, not turn your back, walk home backwards. He told us about 80% of dog bites happen to the back of a person in situations like my daughters.

Unlike the ridiculous situation that Rosiemom finds herself in, for one mere growl, the dog on my street was left with his family, and that was that. The dog was up to date on all his vaccines, and once the wood was added to their deck, everyone was happy again.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Btw, NOW Buddy is fine with humans coming into his doors, as he is not a shy dog, Buddy is a dog-aggressive dog, and usually the DA dogs are fine with humans, and the typical DA dogs LOVES LOVES LOVES humans...they just hate dogs. Buddy must not know he too, is a dog?!:ROFLMAO:

But, when i first got Buddy, he had spillover diffuse aggression, spilling over onto humans as well. Back then, Buddy just aggressed on anything that moved! He was a hot mess.

Now Buddy knows he has to put his butt on the floor or i won't open the door. And he reeally wants me to hurry up and open that door so he can see who is there. Oh, i love him barking to announce a visitor, that is fine with me! I like THAT, but, i want him seated when i open the door. That was actually surprisingly easy to teach him. He still needs a reminder now and then, to sit so i can open the door.

BUT, for Buddy to meet DOGS, cuz he IS dog-aggressive, ohhh bayyybeee, if he meets a DOG in a doorway, is like 85% chance there will be trouble. I almost never ever allow Buddy to meet any dog in a doorway or a gate.:mad:

Same dog in a wide open park or field, maybe maybe Buddy will decide he doesn't need to commit to homicide after all.......but in a doorway, nope, Buddy will waiver between his first impulses of going for second-degree murder, OR just 'aggravated assault'...
okay, maybe i am exaggerating a lil bit there..:ROFLMAO:

First year i had Buddy, yes, oh yes, he would have full on attacked any dog he got a even half a chance to attack, but now Buddy has brought it all down several notches. I am even beginning to suspect, nowadays, Buddy is all bark now, sometimes i think so. He hasn't bitten another dog now, in years... Even when Buddy does react, it is nowhere like it used to be. Buddy's foamy mouthed wild snarling thing with scream noises is gone now. YAY!! Now, if Budyd reacts, now he just barks. ........*almost* seems normal on most days, but i know better.:ROFLMAO:

Buddy really is better, much much better, but i DO like to joke about Buddy. If i ever did ever completely cure Buddy, (extremely unlikely) then i don't know what i'd joke about! Poor ol Buddy is often the butt of my jokes...poor lil messed up gangsta.

helpsavemydog

I spoke to a council officer today Jon SchultzCoordinatorAnimal Management Centre
He has been ringing me and couldn't get hold of me so emailed me.
Interesting

Vets letters equal to 0 when it comes to requiring recommendations
The Bark Busters would be a better group to get proof of personality. Don't know this groupYour case is unusual as appeals are usually because of a dispute but you both agree on what occurred
Except the part that the girl was in fear! The mother was over reacting and concerned but Rosie didn't cause fear in the girl. But by now she is probably fearful of all dogs (having a mother like she has)
The investigating officers are trained under 'the Act' You could have fooled me I spoke about the Toowoomba Obedience Club - how cruel they were supporting choker chains but that I would endure this as have been told by one of the members if I attend for a year there is a better chance of having the Regulation reversed
He said it used to be like that but they have since changed the law and now there may be a review after 3 years..............OMG!!!!
He said don't take this as a magic wand but if you can get an assessment from 'The Bark Busters' it would have more strength to my case
I explained the cruelty of the mussle having to be warn through the proposal period (which was long being over Xmas etc) and once she was regulated she doesn't have to wear one!!!!!
He couldn't explain I went over the scenario again and how I was there immediately and that nobody was in danger.
He is a dog owner himself (3 dogs on 10 acers)
Lastly he said he will discuss my case with the other investigating officers.
I felt positive when I got off the phone - just a little anyway
Took Rosie for a walk with this new collar. I made it really loose so when I do tug her into line which I didn't have to do often (mostly I stopped and started again) it didn't pull tight. She walked well with plenty of encouragement and treats.

Your advice is brilliant and we have been practising the 'On the Mat' trick today. It will take a while but I think it is a good one. Maybe she is shy??? But as long as I have known her she has never snapped except early on when Alister (my husband) would try and take her bone to test her out - now she is ok with that. My friend and brother think I am being obsessive over all this but I tried to explain that puppies do take up alot of your time and I'm sure in the long run it will all be worth it.

mewzard

Experienced Member
Mewzard, what an adorable link! How cute! THANKS maybe now i have a better understanding of why doors, gates, any opening of any room, or even the wide stairway to the outdoor deck, are all "triggers" for *my* dog.
No problems, it was a really good point for me as it's helped me see Oka's behaviour in a nature vs behaviour way.

The guy sounds like a good person to help you! Hopefully something will come of having "bark busters" on your side.