Rucker Teeter Progress!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WOW!! off topic, but Jordy, it's hard to see how your dad can not see how awesome YOU are with dogs, and how committed YOU are to training dogs!!!:D I hope you do win the discussion about you getting a new puppy!!! Seems so obvious how great you are with dogs!

jordyquint

Experienced Member
Aw, thank you guys!!

Tigerlily, I know! What you said means a lot to me! I can't believe HE doesn't notice my passion. If he does, he sure hasn't let me know the 5+ years I've been working at it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
well, i think you are amazing trainer!!

Your dad may be the kind that assume a person "knows" what he thinks!!:ROFLMAO: there are ppl like that, who maybe mention something once 5 years ago, "Jordy, you did a good job on that trick" and then, never mention it again, cuz they think that if they say something one time = you "Know". they think that even years later, you "know".
lol, for real, there are ppl like that.:rolleyes:
You can also ask him, if he has noticed how great you are with dogs, with dog training, how committed you have been to keep Rucker trained and busy, how well behaved Rucker is, etc etc.

slightly off topic, but, my dog gets all credit for his tricks!!! for real, when i show ppl his tricks, they always exclaim how smart my DOG is. As if my dog somehow figured out by himself how to a get a beer out of the fridge and deliver it to his 'daddy's hand. I myself, rarely get any credit for the tricks, it's always how smart the DOG is!! Maybe your dad is like that, too?

Recently, at a dinner with relatives, someone was talking about a problem dog who won't even come when called, still pees in the house, etc etc,
and then another relative piped up how smart Buddy is. Not how well *I* train him,
but how smart the dog is!!:ROFLMAO: True enough, i agree, my dog IS smart,
but, my dog does NOT often learn brand new tricks by himself!!:ROFLMAO:

^MY POINT THERE IS,
some ppl tend to view well-trained dogs,
as just "very smart dogs". Maybe your dad is giving Rucker all the credit, as being a super smart dog, instead of you?? lol, that happens with MY relatives anyway!!:ROFLMAO:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Well done, Jordy.!!!!! I totally agree with what is said above. You are obviously great with your training - follow your dream - the world's in need of positive trainers. If you do have the time, effort, commitment, finances and drive, as you seem to do then you Dad is mad not to let you get that pup! As I said, follow your dream, you will get there with enough determination!(y)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Recently, at a dinner with relatives, someone was talking about a problem dog who won't even come when called, still pees in the house, etc etc,
and then another relative piped up how smart Buddy is. Not how well *I* train him,
but how smart the dog is!!:ROFLMAO: True enough, i agree, my dog IS smart,
but, my dog does NOT often learn brand new tricks by himself!!:ROFLMAO:

^MY POINT THERE IS,
some ppl tend to view well-trained dogs,
as just "very smart dogs". Maybe your dad is giving Rucker all the credit, as being a super smart dog, instead of you?? lol, that happens with MY relatives anyway!!:ROFLMAO:
I experience the same thing too! I don't underestimate the intelligence of my dog al all - but I know that the same dog was destructive, uncontrollable and rather messed up in the head (because of boredom and no training in her previous home) which ended up with her being dumped in the RSPCA. But with the right mental and physical exercise and the correct training she is turning into a dog that turns heads and makes people take note and say 'oooh, intellient, lovely dog you have', no mention to me or the hubby and the hours we've put in (very willingly and happily I would add). They didn't see the sad, wather thin, destructive, uncontrollable dog that was stuck behind those bars in the rescue centre...!

Not blowing my own trumpet here - just making the point that me and most others on this site understand the bigger story behind taking on a rescue or any other dog but many people out there don't!

jordyquint

Experienced Member
Tigerlily, YES... that is exactly what everyone on my dad's and stepmom's side does, they GIVE Rucker all the credit. :( My mom and her family support me in my decision with the puppy AND they give credit for me training the dogs. :)

Like Ripleygirl mentioned, the SAME dog could be destructive if NOT trained. Well, who would be training Rucker if I wasn't here? Nobody would.

That's where I come in. haha

Thank you everyone for such kind words!! They seriously mean a lot to me knowing people out there DO support my training and decision for getting a puppy... I don't need my dad's support if he doesn't want to give it, but having someone else's support just makes this whole situation ten times better!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELL, Ripleygirl, lol, i guess it is a derail, but, see, Jodie is trying to sway her dad to allow her to get a puppy, (on a different thread)
so when watching her most obvious skill at dog training,
it just made me wonder if her family notices Jordy's amazing talent, and commitment,
if maybe pointing THAT talent out to her family, and emphasizing that skill of hers, might help sway them to go along with her wish for a puppy.

but that IS a different thread altogether, so the derail is MINE, not yours, Ripleygirl!!
(who ME? cause a derail?? nah, go on! never happens...:rolleyes: )

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ah, Jordy, i so so believe you!!
(about ppl not realizing there IS a skill and commitment involved in teaching dogs tricks and cues)
GOOD LUCK, JORDY, and maybe, like i said, maybe you could politely point out to them, you DO have a talent, and commitment, to training dogs and keeping your dog well behaved, etc etc. Sometimes, now and then, we DO have to point out the obvious....:ROFLMAO: Especially, if your family is doing like MY relatives do,:rolleyes: and give the credit ONLY to the dog!!:ROFLMAO: when YOU do need them to realize, you DO have this skill-set nailed.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
WELL, Ripleygirl, lol, i guess it is a derail, but, see, Jodie is trying to sway her dad to allow her to get a puppy, (on a different thread)
so when watching her most obvious skill at dog training,
it just made me wonder if her family notices Jordy's amazing talent, and commitment,
if maybe pointing THAT talent out to her family, and emphasizing that skill of hers, might help sway them to go along with her wish for a puppy.

but that IS a different thread altogether, so the derail is MINE, not yours, Ripleygirl!!
(who ME? cause a derail?? nah, go on! never happens...:rolleyes: )
I think we've both (all) caused a derail for a good cause here!!!! Jordy is obviously a great trainer and although in the other thread we have all put done some 'down to earth' issues on BC puppy training if Jordy is determined and goes about it like she has with Rucker then her Dad should see that and she should follow her gut instinct on this one!(y)