Recommended books on Canine Freestyle

snooks

Experienced Member
Anyone's rec's on favorite books on freestyle would be much appreciated. I am new to free shaping but learning fast. I would love to teach the back through weave and haven't a clue how the best way works. I can think of things but I'm sure there's a better way as usually is the case. :dogblush: Thanks in advance.

maggies mom

I would be interested too. I just enrolled Maggie in canine freestyle. Her first class is Jan. 24th. YEAH!!!

FYI, Snooks did you know Rookie passed away? I just found out tonight. He had cancer. I feel so sad for Carolyn.

snooks

Experienced Member
Yes I heard not too long ago. There is a tribute site that I bawled over. I think Carolyn said something to the effect he danced across the rainbow bridge. :msncry:

Get ready for some tears. She's so blessed he lived to 15.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Backwards weaving is so difficult for some dogs... But what I've been told is to have the dog between your legs, facing the same direction as you. You should do this in a hallway, against the couch; anything so that the dog is backing into something. The response should be to back around your leg to keep their tush from bumping into the couch/wall/etc. From there it gets tricky. You kind of just have to see what you can come up with to get your dog to do this in the weave. You could try standing with your legs apart(like in mid-stride) but close to the wall/couch/whatever. Lure the dog into the right position and ask for a back. Leave just enough room for him to slink between your leg and the wall/couch/etc.

Don't know of any freestyle books, but hope this helps! I want to say it was Silvia Trkman who helped me initially, but I can't remember. She's given me tips before on other tricks though, so feel free to email her! She's quite helpful and very sweet. She's always been fairly quick to answer my questions. :)

snooks

Experienced Member
thanks very much for the advice/tips. we had a great breakthrough in forward weaves and 8's around my legs this week. so i thought backwards would be a great next. she knows back at heel and back up in from a front. i have a great u shaped sofa that i hadn't thought of using. :dogtongue2:

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I suggest this video.
I didn't teach backwards weaving with this method, but some of my friends did, and it works very well.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz773pGP2Y[/MEDIA]

maggies mom

Just a quick update to Snooks and everyone else. Maggie had her first canine freestyle class last Saturday and she did GREAT! The trainer said she already knows the majority of the tricks and mostly I have to work on her heeling on right side (I've taught her on the left side) and to do turn-abouts and spins on BOTH sides. It only took me about 10 minutes to teach her to side-pass. Haven't started her on kicking out her front paws in time with me yet. Anyone have any suggestions on how to start that? The trainer said to begin with teaching her touch....but I don't know understand how to change it into "KICK". I think I'll address that at the next class.

Also, any ideas on costumes or song routines would be appreciated. I'm thinking of dancing to "Some Days you Gotta Dance" by Dixie Chicks and wearing a western costume and putting a bandana on Maggie. Since I have horses and ride western, I wouldn't feel silly in some giddy costume. BUT, I think I've already seen routines similar to that! HELP?

snooks

Experienced Member
For ideass since some of the human audience will be country dance-knowledgeable how about taking elements to work in where you do little parts of line dance routines. There's something about a line dance that even people that never do it like to join in at a party or wedding etc. You can do the line dance parts or modify them and work the dog in as is easiest. I have seen people train dogs to line dance with their paws on the owner's hips. Very cute.

You might try little bits and parts of other dance styles..sometimes a song compilation is good for this where they or you combine songs into one routine. Maybe 40-45 seconds or more of each, waltz, two step, etc. Hearing different musk is ort of like starting different paragraph when it changes. People's interest is re-piqued.

The cuter the dog's costume is the more people will be impressed. Just be sure to keep it minimally covering so he doesn't get too hot and so that people can see him move and pick up his excited happy body language. Generally keeping your costume but more on the conservative side (not prude but no miles of sequins and cleavage) is easier for people to embrace esp with kids and conservative people there. Knowing your audience will probably help make your decisions about costume..

I started training this behavior with targeting too. Start moving your hand around to different height including high in front of the dog. I should be easy to transition your hand to a target stick so that you could stand to the dogs side and put the stick out in front and have him target. Add the voice cue and add your foot kicking just before you give the voide cue as a nonverbal cue. You should be able with treats and teach the dog to stand beside you and kick when you do.

The other idea which is how I taught my dog to wave. it might be easier to learn the kick is teaching a wave. I started out teaching target hand and gave it a word cue. Then I shaped the wave and shake. I kind of touch her foreleg leg too and cue wave c/t, then touched her other paw or foreleg and recued. I ignore the wrong paw and reward the right. Pretty soon she learned that alternating is what got the treats If you do clicker work and spend some time doing hand target click treat then just stand and wait and look at your dog click treat for any move of the front paw. Odds are if you have treats and the dog just finished targeting sort of high the dog will offer behaviors to see which ones get the treat. This is the perfect training chance to capture neat quirks and click reward them. Move front paw c/t, lifted paw.

Just remember for free shaping that a high rate of reinforcement keeps their interest and move around a little so they are forced to follow you. As they move you can c/t movement that is piece of that you want. With high rates of 3-5 seconds the dog stays engaged and offers behavior. If attention wanders reingage.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I taught the "march/kick" trick with targetting. I used a large target and would point to it, starting with one paw and the corresponding finger. Each time the dog pawed, click and treat. Then switch paws and fingers. I progressed from there until I could just point to whichever leg and have them raise it high. From there, you could combine the hand signal with your leg movement and so on. Very cute trick. ^^

Couldn't help you out with routines, freestyle isn't my specialty. Good luck though!

snooks

Experienced Member
I meant to congratulate you too, Maggiesmom, on the trainer's comments about Maggie being such a smart girl and all your success with the training. YAY for both of you. :dogtongue2:

maggies mom

Thanks for the advice on dance routines and "Kicking". She already has learned "touch" by me holding out my hands OR feet and she's very fast!!! I will advance to using a target.

Since our first class....she has accomplished side passes, touch, take a bow, back (in a STRAIGHT line) turn, & about turns. I'm also thinking of adding some jumps since she already knows to jump through a hoop. I'm so very proud of her. I can't wait till I get this all together and can post a video!!!

I really appreciate all your help! You guys are the greatest!!