Recall With A Twist

Evie

Experienced Member
Dogster and Jackie, you'll never believe this, but it's true, that song has been running in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dogster I'll definitely use that for his routine - Soccer in the Rain:D(y)

LOL sure will have to incorporate the soccer ball somehow, it would be a good reward for the boy.:D Ideas will start flowing I'm sure.

The beat is good, it's catchy, easy 4/4 timing too. Everyone knows the tune, that always gets the crowds in and it's PERFECT for Rakins:love::LOL:

Now all I need is to get him into a class somehow. It's not taking off in Adelaide quite the same way as it has in other States:( But I always firmly believe, set your mind to something and it happens! Will have to download the tune and at least start working on some choreography, always pays to listen to a tune over and and over to get the chorrie right.

Costumes, dog's are not allowed to wear more than just a 'fancy' collar right? Will have to think about the 'right' type of collar for Rakins. I could wear David Beckham's shirt, if that's not copyrighted, with football shorts. Little goal set up PERFECT!!!!!!!!(y)(y):love:

http://www.dogssa.com.au/Website/index.php?id=60&level=2 <--- scroll down a bit, there's a contact for someone who does doggy dancing lessons in Adelaide :)

MaryK

Honored Member
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Jackie, she sure is awesome and little Pami, love. love, love her:love::love: They both make it look so easy and such FUN!!!!!! Will pm you for the other vids, and download when I'm over the 'speed hump', just checked and ouch too close for comfort and I want to still be able to load this site.Sending it out to the Universe she comes back online again!

Impressed with Rakins today. O.K. so he's got a loooooooong way to go yet (so have I) but for a first timer, he did really well. We 'danced' to the music inside, tad difficult because of space and also LOL my older boy Zeus decided to try to join in! Means he sat firmly in the middle of our very small pace and looked 'hopeful' (yes he got loads of treats:D).

Rakins LOVED working to music. And he's helping me with the chorrie. The end is taking shape LOL , as the music slows, I show the red card (pretend at present got to get some red cardboard) and he does a SLOW down roll/over with new trick learned today 'play dead' then straight up to a 'sit pretty' then right up on my arms for 'say your prayers' (for some reason he finds it easier to do this trick standing on his hind legs and using my arm) then to 'foodie kiss' still on hind legs (to show there's no hard feelings towards the umpire:LOL:). The beginning, am working on his sitting (inside) and waiting for me to cue him to come to me. Outside am working on a new trick 'score goal' in which he runs with ball thru my legs - so far I have to do some nifty footwork, and click try to treat but my dance partner is off running with soccer ball forget the food treat:ROFLMAO: - more work needed here!:rolleyes: Or he comes with the ball, pushes the ball through then runs around behind me - as I said we need a bit more work here. I am treating it more as just fun, rather than serious training fun, at present with this as he does get a bit over the top at times:D

Oh and we are working on walk backwards. All I do at present is put both hands one on either side of his sides and help him to walk backwards saying 'walk backwards' click/treat. Not sure if this is correct but so far he's walking backwards with help quite well. And circle, at present I have to circle with him holding a treat - not quite what I want but we'll get there.Want it as Pami was doing.

What was really interesting was inside with music, he did a s-l-o-w down/roll/over in time to the music stayed still in 'play dead' then went on to sit pretty (his contribution) then say your prayers (both of us) onto foodie kiss(both of us)! Outside it was his usual fast down/roll over and his 'play dead' was ummm a bit of a wiggle effort. Incredible! I swear the music cued him!

What I want to learn to do is what Pami was doing, jumping up/off her owner. Also jumping up as she was moving round. Having previously trained Rakins to sit (he was very keen on jumping over everyone and for sanity sake (theirs more than mine I don't mind ) I had to teach him sit. Now poor chap I'm trying to 'unteach' him - any vids anywhere which will help with this as I have a place in the music where this would work really well.It's at the peak part, crescendo would look great him leaping around very chuffed, maybe having just scored another goal?

Also got to find a vid to show how he walks with his paws on my feet. Got the first part, can stand for quite a while with him between my legs, just need the next step. (no pun intended:giggle:).

We're a bit muddly at present but I can start to see it shaping up in my mind and watching Pami has helped a lot with especially with some of the middle area, which isn't chorried at all at present. Loads of ideas forming and Rakins seems even more willing (didn't think that possible) to work with the music!
Even partner showed some interest! Didn't push but somehow Dancing with Dogs came up, and he said Rakins doesn't need classes (I agreed but added it's fun and we'd love to do competition work, didn't press though) . Partner said Rakins would easily jump on his or my back LOL all I needed was to give him a cue word (um yes darling I do know that part :giggle:) :LOL: here was partner on his hands and knees on the kitchen floor, patiently (for a change) waiting for me to grab click/treat bag. Rakins got his front legs up so I click/treated but I think space went against him or, really more likely, his former 'sit' not jump training, stopped him from jumping right up. Must find vid to show how this is done as I am certain that Rakins will do that easily. And partner, I am taking it easily, not pushing but first time he's shown any interest!

Actually just had an idea for the 'grand finale' after foodie kiss, if I can get down quickly to hands and knees (with a degree of elegance too) and have Rakins jump/sit pretty on my back wave paw or something ?- may have to enlist help on that one - bit hard to click/treat on hands and knees:LOL:

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow, Pami and her owner are AMAZING!!!!!:D LOVE that routine!!!:love: Pami is ADORABLE!!!!:love:

I really like that routine you thought of, MaryK!!!!:) Sounds fantastic!!! Now I really want to see it!!;)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Can just imagine your routine, it sounds so cute!! Can't wait to see it all perfected in a few months!!(y):cool:

Try to go back in OLD threads (go back at least 2-3 years if possible), the step with dogs paws on your feet is called cop-cop, and a bunch of us were all trying to learn it -- yes, Makena and I FINALLY got it, altho not very well -- but I think Szecsuani might even have had a few posts on that. Don't remember what category they would be under, shoot, I don't have time now, must go get ready for work. She also had some videos up of her and Pami trying to learn things/work thru steps or moves -- then wow, look at where they are now. She has other videos on Youtube under her channel, plus a cute video of what was left out of the Christmas video. Maybe if we all think of her hard enough, she'll check back in. :LOL:

Altho I fool around with it a little, you've really got me in the mood to start back up with it more and more with Makena, cuz it's just so fun. It's nothing Alf could do (or probably want to do) but she'll do anything, and seemed to have fun. Heck, she finds anything fun as long as food is involved! :LOL: One thing you said that struck a chord (no pun intended) - you said Rakins moved slower inside seemingly to the music. Bingo! That's why (as strange as it sounded to me, until I realized it's true) at our facility, when you start, at the very first class, they play just a whole bunch of differernt songs and different kinds of songs, and the dog/handler keep walking around and around the room (to different beats, and in front of everyone) and you'll suddenly notice the dog walking differently to a certain song, and everyone will say (almost all at once) "that's it, that's the song." I had never really thought about dogs responding one way or another to music before, but they definitely do (hence, the calming music for thunder/anxiety, etc - so why wouldn't they respond to music for 'dancing'?). (y) :D

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Jackie:D It'll take a few months I suspect to get it all down pat(y):cool: Still haven't got the chorrie fully worked out as yet. Rakins is of course helping me too, he ADORES it!

I'll go back through the old threads tomorrow, it's very late here now and LOL if I start I'll forget to sleep - then my CAC will awaken and that'll be the end of any pretense of sleep for the day!

Thank you had no idea what the trick was called. Love the name:cool:

Oh that would be grand if Makena started back, I am sure she'd be fantastic! We could swop ideas on how our guys are going etc. Be almost like living near each other!:cool:

LOL Alf and Zeus will applaud and throw flowers as they are alike. Zeus has no wish to actually dance, just sit in the middle and wait for treats, that's much more his style:LOL:

Yes it does make sense with dogs. I didn't try other music with Rakins, he just seemed to 'take' to this piece, so can really get where you're coming from with everyone knowing immediately that a particular piece was for that dog. Actually, now I think of it, have always put on slow, classical music if any of my dogs have been a bit nervy or upset, or being too boisterous (Rakins responds to quiet music and gets very excited with really upbeat music). And the thunder vid is soft and soothing, though never had to use it myself.

Horses will voluntary 'dance' to music, funny story on that will pm you when I have time.

Some very caring enviromentally minded farmers will play music to their cows at milking time. Even know of someone who played music to his hens to get them to lay more.

So stands to reason really that our dogs, who here music all the time too, respond so well and just like us have their favorite piece:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow, Pami and her owner are AMAZING!!!!!:D LOVE that routine!!!:love: Pami is ADORABLE!!!!:love:

I really like that routine you thought of, MaryK!!!!:) Sounds fantastic!!! Now I really want to see it!!;)
Aren't they the greatest and Pami is just cuteness personified:love:

Thank you Dogster, still working on the entire routine. LOL it'll take a while to perfect, we have to learn some new tricks, get it all together and LOL keep the soccer ball under control - well more to the point Rakins with the ball:rolleyes::oops: !:LOL: But you sure will get to see it when we're ready, even if I have to bribe partner, he's going to HAVE to video that - and improve his skills with making vids! :rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Well, I'm just waiting to see this video. It's going to be grand. :):):)(y)
You will LOL just try holding me back:D Gotta show off the boy's skills(y):D

But we do have a way to go yet, plus I tend to be a perfectionist, so won't it to be really good:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh, come on. Of course it'll be good!!!(y)
Thank you Dogster, we're working hard! I've been just listening to the music again and again, Rakins is learning new tricks - we've got Pee down pretty good now - he seems to find that quite easy to do and is virtually doing it now 9/10 times without a cue and even the cue is just one finger if needed. Shy seems the hardest to get him to do for some reasonO_o

We'll get there and YES gotta make it grand, he's my boy! Can't let him down - it's nerves on my part - he doesn't appear to have any:D

SD&B

Experienced Member
Thank you Dogster, we're working hard! I've been just listening to the music again and again, Rakins is learning new tricks - we've got Pee down pretty good now - he seems to find that quite easy to do and is virtually doing it now 9/10 times without a cue and even the cue is just one finger if needed. Shy seems the hardest to get him to do for some reasonO_o

We'll get there and YES gotta make it grand, he's my boy! Can't let him down - it's nerves on my part - he doesn't appear to have any:D
Sundog's pee is one of the tricks that she throws in when she doesn't understand or gets confused or when she would plain just rather do it than the trick she's working on, lol. It's funny to ask her to do a trick, such as place her chin somewhere, and then she pretends to pee on it. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sara

Staff member
I taught this to Oliver too LOL He also uses it as a default trick when he's confused LOL (well, that and back up between my legs... which can cause some issues if I'm not expecting it LOL)

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh yeah. Some people say she hikes higher than their boy dogs.O_o:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I usually explain beforehand it's only a trick and that she's actually a girl.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: She sure does - higher than Zeus - he's a 'lazy' boy. It was so funny when his sister was still a puppy she tried to REALLY pee like a boy - copied her Bro:ROFLMAO: