Raw Food?

charmedwolf

Staff member
Lol Dogster we always derail every thread!! It's a side trip of amusement.

Isis eats grass too and she's never puked from it though I always heard that why they eat it too. She just clips the tops of the tall tuffs though no farthur down on the stems. When I see her eating it she gets, "Hey moo cow stop mowing my yard." She usually stops after that. Silly dog.

Kratos has a love for peaches. Moose must of taught him how to get them from the greenhouse and I'll find the pits ALL over the office when they're in season. I just remember seeing Kratos come back inside with a peach in the house and my mom asking, "Ash, why are all my peaches missing?" "Ask the dogs mom." "Which one of you are EATING ALL MY PEACHES!?" XD I had to close off the green house so they couldn't get inside and eat all of them. I always bring Kratos back one when they are in season however.

Chloe is also the only dog I know that love the taste of oranges and lemons. I'll peel them and share with her. It's really strange :confused:.

On a more on topic type deal.... I don't feed weight baring bones (rec bones) because they can split really apart, crack teeth and the dogs have to watched so nothing bad happens which I just don't have the time for. They also aren't really for more aggressive chewers like my pack is.

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon will eat not just the top, but the whole blade of grass. It doesn't take much to make her puke.:sick:
Shivon LOVES mangos and apples. I don't feed them to her a lot because she gets flatulence.:sick:
She HATES lemons and onions. The smell takes her right out of the kitchen. Otherwise she sticks like glue to anyone cooking in the kitchen. LOL!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
On topic now. Sort of. I don't feed Shivon bones, I give her caribou or reindeer antlers. I like them because they don't chip and they last for MONTHS. There is also bone marrow inside (like any bone). Shivon really loves it.:)

sara

Staff member
I dont feed Raw all the time, but Mouse and Boo will get something raw usually once a week or so. Oliver gets very, VERY sick. I tried Raw feeding for 3 weeks, Oliver was sick the whole time, and I noticed no difference in Mouse. I do think dogs need a variety, not the same food day after day. Spoiled rotten

mewzard

Experienced Member
Oka was weaned with a mix of kibble and raw food. We have always fed her a raw diet (except for a disasterous month where she staved herself after we were encouraged to feed kibble to make treats more exciting :confused:) .

I have been lucky to find a place that sells 450g (1lb) of minced meat+bones for £0.60 ($0.95) Thats 1 meal for Oka. We can pick from lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, venison, and duck. They also sell chunks of organs, and meat. We can by chicken carcass and necks, and whole rabbits.

We don't bother with veg much as Oka always ate round them, she grazes on specific plants in the garden and enviroment as she feels the need of. Every month we will wizz up a bunch of vegtables and mix them in well with one meal - just to make sure....however I don't feel that dogs really need plant matter to keep them healthy.

Oka LOVES lamb shanks but they can be costly so she only gets them occasionally. As a pup she loved chicken wings.

Picture for those of the unsqueemish: http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o450/Tashandtwo/Oka/SDC13854.jpg

mewzard

Experienced Member
It was a cow leg! She didn't get it covered in meat - it came like that, already stripped. It was the same length as her pretty much!!

That was a rare occurance, usually the butcher has smaller bones but i wasn't going to say no to that!! Had to bin it after 2 days as it started to smell :sick:

Dogster

Honored Member
Ok, gross.:sick:That is why I don't give Shivon raw meat. I can't bare to look at it as well as the smell.:sick:I bet Oka had TONS of fun with that bone!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

mewzard

Experienced Member
Raw meat doesn't smell. Oka's meals smell 100x less than canned dog food (which smells foul to me!). The bone only started to smell as it was left outside for a couple of days in the warm.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh sorry, that's what I meant; after a couple of days.:oops: shivon would eat that 3 times as slow as Oka, soo....you get the picture. Either a cow leg in the fridge or raw meat lying outside.:rolleyes:

I give Raw food to my dog it really make there him more healthy his hair has become more shiny I started giving him 2 time a week after then I increased the it to 4 days a week.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
So I want to renew this thread! So I would like to start giving my dog some raw every couple of weeks but how much and what kind of meat? (my dog is 33 pounds)

sara

Staff member
I use bony chicken. Bone will help prevent diarrhea. Chicken backs, necks, wings, legs, thighs, basically anything but the breast meat. Chicken is always recommended to start, though turkey necks are great too. Avoid weigh bearing bones from the larger animals, as those are not consumable.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, one should strive for 80-10-10.
80% of diet -muscle meat
10% bone
10% organ meat.

There's also pre-made mixes, pretty expensive, but, i think using one might help those raw feeders who don't provide bones for calcium, etc, might find helpful,
that one just adds "protein" to, like
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/

http://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-grain-free-dog-food-mix

lol, just reposting this link that Charmed Wolf gave me once, cuz it's still the best raw link i've ever seen: http://www.rawlearning.com/
and
http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html