Please Read Before Considering This Training!

lil joe

Why on earth would anyone want a dog that attacks on demand...I certainly don't. I also think this idea is why we have so many badly treated bull type dogs filling shelters and rescue centers.
??? and how do you see this as a reason for bully type dogs filling the shelter ? please explain . As far as what type of training you or i choose to do why should this be influenced by uneducated opinions ?

Again for anyone who has more than a key board opinion i invite you up to see the beautiful , very well behaved dogs in the club

charmedwolf

Staff member
I had to think long and hard about why Suzanne would say that. The only thing I could come up with is the Schutzhund and mondio being compared to teaching a dog to fight. Which it's not at all.

Lil Joe- If I was able to go to California I'd go in a heartbeat. But I'm surrounded by 3 Schutzhund clubs here so I have plenty of well behaved dogs to look at and be jealous over.

Dice Smith

The reason I had a concern was with people trying to teach this to their dogs on their own, at home. A few years ago a friend of mine had sent me the links to some stories and videos she had seen online, where people who had watched Schuthund videos off youtube wanted to teach it to their dogs. They used towels taped around their arms and taught their dogs to bite them :confused: they didn't teach the hold or anything and they had no clue what they were doing. The dogs weren't properly trained and bit the owner and a friend on the arm where the owner had taught the dog to grab him. So they put the dog down. It infuriated me and I worried that more people who had no clue what they were doing would try this with bad results and outcomes. I wish I could find those links again...

But to see an actual properly trained dog at a schuthund club would be wonderful! It is a dream of mine to work and train a dog in schuthund one day but there are no schuthund clubs where I live. Lil Joe if I lived in California I'd take you up on your offer in a second!!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
The reason I had a concern was with people trying to teach this to their dogs on their own, at home. A few years ago a friend of mine had sent me the links to some stories and videos she had seen online, where people who had watched Schuthund videos off youtube wanted to teach it to their dogs. They used towels taped around their arms and taught their dogs to bite them :confused: they didn't teach the hold or anything and they had no clue what they were doing. The dogs weren't properly trained and bit the owner and a friend on the arm where the owner had taught the dog to grab him. So they put the dog down. It infuriated me and I worried that more people who had no clue what they were doing would try this with bad results and outcomes. I wish I could find those links again...
In that case I definitely see your concern. That's just awful that in inexperienced family taught their dog to do the very thing that they got put down for. It's like they taught their dog to do something that they couldn't stand and then gave their dog the ultimate punishment. :mad:
I think there are tons of dog owners and potential dog owners that need a lot more education. It's not just people training something incorrectly, but also lack of training that is the #1 reason dogs get put down.
Educating dog owners is definitely important!