Play The Piano

Honored Member
Holly has sort of started to teach herself to play the piano....

So Holly likes to jump up on stuff, especially desks, and we have a keyboard on a desk next to a chair that she is able to jump up on. She keeps jumping up there so today when she did it I thought I would turn the keyboard on for her but she jumped off because I normally tell her to get off it. I called her back in and pressed some keys which elicited a lot of head tilting (soo cute).

Then she came over and I got her to jump up on the seat and pressed some more keys (lots more head tilting and sniffing the keys) and she followed my hand around so I thought I'd try a "paws up" so she made the keys make noise herself (it was so so cute) and gave her some treats. Holly was pretty confident about putting her paws on the keys and even tried playing with her chin :LOL:
She seems to want to play the keyboard so I think this might have to be her new trick :D

I might use the cue "play it" and get her to randomly press keys. I think teaching her an actual tune might be a bit difficult (although it would be extremely impressive).

Has any one else taught (or want to teach) their dog to play the piano/keyboard?
How did you teach it? what was your criteria?
Did you use a full size piano or get a little kids one?
Any thoughts or tips?

Pictures:

madeleine

Experienced Member
This is one trick I will never teach Dazzle....

I am soooo afraid she would love it so much she will do it herself also..
And knowing her, I doubt the neighbours will like her kind off music hehe

Honored Member
CUTE pics!!!!!:love: To teach Shivon this trick, I just told her to target the piano repeatedly. Here's a video of dogs playing a tune on the piano.:)
Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I might put the keyboard on the floor to make it easier and to stop it moving when she pushs it.

This is one trick I will never teach Dazzle....

I am soooo afraid she would love it so much she will do it herself also..
And knowing her, I doubt the neighbours will like her kind off music hehe
That's the good thing about the keyboard - it can be turned off :D

I had a look for a kids keyboard but the all cost more than I want to pay and the keys are really small or they are xylaphone ones which I don't think would work as good because I don't think Holly will tap the keys, she will leave her paw on them.
I might have to see if there are any in the second hand shops or she will just have to learn to play the full size keyboard :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Loved the pics! Holly, a pianist in the making!!!!!!!! Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall, here comes the newest star HOLLY!!!!!!!!!

I think a full size keyboard would be fine, but as you say, put it on the floor as that would give her more control.

Honored Member
I filmed Holly's keyboard playing progress so far.

I decided to leave the keyboard on the desk because it's cute, but if I hold it still then the chair slides backwards O_o, I'll sort something out to fix it.

I don't know much about music but I think she sounds a little musical :LOL: and her concentration is soooo cute :love: she seems to take her keyboard practice rather seriously :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
Aww so cute!!!!!!!!!! Not only a pianist but a composer too:love: She does have a look a real concentration on her face, Holly really does appear to be taking it all very seriously!:LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
Awwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! too cute for words!!!!!!!!!!!:) She's got it down pat, throwing the head back like a pro!!! She's obviously very happy playing!:D