Pancreatic Insufficiency And Vitamin B12 Deficiency In A Dog

kimw30

Sorry for no update, I been sick. Prissy came home friday, had to go back to hospital saturday, running high fever and vomitting, her whole stomach was so red and very hot. The vet said he trying another antibiotic, he said as long as she is taking the antibiotic in the IV her fever will go down some, but if she takes the antibiotic by mouth, it doesnt seem to work very good. So I am waiting to see if the vet is going to keep her some more or send her home today. The vet said he may let her come home today and just come every day and get a antibiotic shot. Thanks everyone for the concerns.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
So sorry about all of this. Please give us a complete update when you can -- what the vet actually found, was the surgery successful, how she's doing, what the tests showed, etc. Surely hoping she's in a better place now. You take care of yourself, too! We're all keeping you and Prissy in our thoughts. Hoping for some good news soon!! You hang tough!

kimw30

I was going to take Prissy to a vet in atlanta thursday, but I knew I needed to get her to a closer vet because she was burning up with a fever and her stomach was so red, so there is a vet that is down the road from my house so I just stopped there and he said she needed to go into immediate surgery . He said that she had gangrene setting in. The vet that did her spaying put the wrong sutures in instead of putting in ones that were suppose to dissolve, he put in ones that werent the dissolvable ones and they didnt dissolve and she got a very bad infection, staph infection, this vet had to dig the sutures out. And her bowel was twisted, good news, she doesnt have cancer, just very bad inflammatory bowel, he said Prissy has a very severe case of inflammatory bowel and he said it is going to be hard to treat, he said she will have to be watched real good and be seen by the dr. regularly. She is better tonight. She has to take antibiotics for 6 weeks. He fixed her bowel, it was getting strangled. Yea this vet is alot better and surgery was a successful it is just going to take time.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh man, how awful. So thankful you stopped in to the vet near your house. Poor Prissy, she's been thru so much, the poor little baby. So glad she doesn't have cancer. So - he's taken care of that nasty spay surgery gone wrong (my girl went thru the same thing, she was spayed prior to me adopting her, non-disolving sutures were used internally, they poked out thru her skin, and my local vet had to re-open her to remove the sutures:(), her bowel has been repaired, and ok, she's got IBS, but so do many dogs. She's at least been taken care of, and now she can get back to feeling better and get on with her life. I know it will take time to get her back on her feet and healthy again, but at least she's on her way - that's the most important thing. Please keep us posted on how she's doing - we've all been so worried about her.

I can't wait til you tell us she's running around, barking, and driving you nuts - that will be a good thing! (y) You take care of yourself too - I know how stressful and exhausting it is when our babies aren't well. She needs you well - that way you can baby her even more. :) Keep us posted!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you for the update:) . So very glad it's not cancer. But poor baby, that's terrible, the sutures are a totally different color so no excuse for 'mixing' them up! I had the same thing happen to me with my late adored Tiger Lily but fortunately she was due for her annual injections and the lump had only just appeared. The new vet took her into surgery immediately!

Prissy will recover, she's one tough little cookie, just hope it's very soon.

Take care of yourself, all the stress has lowered your resistance, it's so hard when our babies are sick. But Prissy needs you well and healthy, so you can nurse her all better. Will be so pleased, like Jackie, when I hear she's bouncing around barking and driving you nuts!

Dogster

Honored Member
Thank you for the update. Poor Prissy, I feel so bad for her, and for you. I'm glad it's not cancer though, Prissy's been through too much already. I hope she'll be back to her regular self soon.:)