Nice things about today

sunshineunicorn

Thats great!! Bailey catches tennis balls ok, but he can't catch treats for some reason. I bought him his first Kong today, but I havent tried it out yet. They are kind of expensive once you get some accesories to go with them. I hope he likes it.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
sunshineunicorn;3539 said:
Thats great!! Bailey catches tennis balls ok, but he can't catch treats for some reason. I bought him his first Kong today, but I havent tried it out yet. They are kind of expensive once you get some accesories to go with them. I hope he likes it.
Kongs lasts a lifetime! Unless your dog is a SUPER DUPER HEAVY CHEWER, that thing will last you forever! :D

PS. Congrats marieke on your dog catching a ball!!! Retrieving is fun! :dogtongue2:

marieke

I should get Guus a Kong too, he loves to chew on stuff. I'm so glad he finaly is able to catch. I still have to throw it very carefully but we'll practise on that.

And nice things for today: I brought in a huge new client. Yay me!

E

emmasmamma

Congratulations! Emma caught her first ball yesterday! I've been working on it a long time. Emma's genes of being a retrieving dog gave us some trouble. Every time I get any of her toys in my hand she automatically turns around and goes on point. I didn't even teach her that! I finally realized that I had to get her to sit first and then toss the ball to her. After that, it only took a few tries befor she caught it.

storm22

Experienced Member
koda had her last puppy vac today and it was the first time she didnt scream the vets down and she weighs 5.45kg at 11weeks

marieke

Well done Emma and Koda!!

We got a big compliment from the puppy training trainers today. Guus is doing extremely well for his kind of breed. Yay us!

bipa

I love hearing good news. This thread is a great idea!

Little Joe still won't catch anything. I've thrown treats that bounced right off his nose, and he just sits there looking at me, and then will reach down and take the treat from the floor if I don't take it away. I can't decide if he's being incredibly stupid, or incredibly smart in figuring out that he can also get treats later by playing dead and not having to exert himself too much. :dogrolleyes:

Bonnie, on the other hand, has become pretty good at catching things. I'll be starting her on frisbee soon since she's great at jumping up and grabbing treats and balls in the air. Today I watched her catch a fly! Perhaps I should build on that and train my own live fly catcher/swatter?! :doglaugh:

sunshineunicorn

Yes, the kong was a definite good buy. I dont use a crate for Bailey and he gets himself into loads of trouble when I go out. It keeps him occupied for an hour or two which is great, and I have been coming home to fewer disasters. Congradulations everyone on your accomplishments.

marieke

When I came home from work today Guus was all cuddely and affectionate. Now he's sleeping by my side, lying all curled up and cute.

E

emmasmamma

Bipa-Maybe you could try something bigger like Little Joes favorite ball. Emma still hasn't managed to catch treats but is doing great with her ball. I'm not sure if she is having trouble seeing the treats or what.

bipa

Hmm.... perhaps I should go buy a large, sponge type of ball and try bouncing it off Little Joe's nose for a change. :dogsmile:

Part of the problem with Joey is that he had little or no exposure to toys for the first six months of his life. When we got him, he had no clue about playing with toys, still won't go fetch anything (forget about retrieving, he won't even go point at the object) and still views everything as chew objects. I've lost track of how many balls and toys he's destroyed already. So now I mostly buy sturdy rubber toys for him - not too great for bouncing off his head or nose. I've tried simply rolling or throwing the ball or toy or treat towards him, away or sideways, but he shows no interest at all and just sits there looking at me.

Bonnie, on the other hand, will chase anything and everything, and try to catch it: balls, leaves, sticks, flies, birds... :dogrolleyes:.

I was very happy yesterday when I had Joey on a long line in a field doing basic walking beside me. He was really focused on me and even ignored a person walking their dog. OK, to be honest they were pretty far away, but previously he'd always stop and stare until they were out of sight. Looks like his reactive radius is starting to really shrink! Yippee! :dogbiggrin:

marieke

bipa;3927 said:
OK, to be honest they were pretty far away, but previously he'd always stop and stare until they were out of sight. Looks like his reactive radius is starting to really shrink! Yippee! :dogbiggrin:
No worries, you gotta start somewhere :doglaugh: Yesterday they were quite far away, in a couple of months they'll be able to run circles around you and he won't keep his eye of you!

marieke

I was looking at some pictures I took a while ago of my grandmother. I was lovely to see them even though it made me a bit sad again. Look how happy she was holding Guus:

Us in my cousins pet shop:

At home at granny's:

E

emmasmamma

She looks like a nice lady.The animals seem to think so too, and animals are great judges of character! You have been in my thoughts and prayers this week.

storm22

Experienced Member
koda lay down on command today by herself, i was telling storm to lie down and she did it first (i thought it was a fluke) but she did it about 4times before jumping at storm and running away

marieke

This morning I was walking with Guus and it was so beautiful outside I ran back in to get my camera. The trees in front of our house looked like they were painted with black ink on the sky behind them.