New Here.. Question...

SD&B

Experienced Member
hi, I was showing someone this video of our barnyard hunt competition and thought you might be interested in it too, as I was telling you about the rat tubes.
This is a timed event. There are three tubes indentical hidden in the brush/field and the dog has to find the one that has the live rat in it..
The trick is, the handler has to call out to stop the time clock. So not only does the dog have to find the correct tube, the handler has to recognize the fact that the dog found it.
In my case, there is never any doubt he found it LOLOL
Oh yeah. He wanted that rat.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
:) Watched the video! Interesting! Very cool! He did so well!
Why find a rat??? It's just this sounds a little weird to me...

SD&B

Experienced Member
:) Watched the video! Interesting! Very cool! He did so well!
Why find a rat??? It's just this sounds a little weird to me...
I'm sure Huntyr will have a better reply, but those little guys were bred to hunt rats. That's why they're small, independent, and feisty. So, like some dogs were bred to pull sleds as sled dogs, some were bred to hunt as bird dogs, and some were bred to herd sheep as herding dogs, these guys were bred to hunt rats and vermin.

huntyr

LOLOL thats almost the exact answer I started to write earlier today but I was on my cell phone and this forum print is reallllllllllllllll tiny on the phone so I decided to wait till I got home.